X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallow well can I use sump pump?

I have an 8' dug well. I want to run a line up 12' lift about 250' to a shut off valve for garden hose connection to water new planted trees.

Can I drop in a 3/4hp sump pump run a water line up and out well to value. Turn power on at pump walk up to valve water what I need to water shut off valve than turn off power to sump.

My question is what happens to sump when powered on, but valve is shut off holding water in line? I figure to use a 15/30 minute timer switch for on/off. So if someone forgets to turn pump off it will not go forever.

I can run a large or small line from sump what ever is best. Not sure if big than reduce at valve head or other way around?

Thanks Ken

Re: Shallow well can I use sump pump?

If this is for permanent use??? you would be better off setting up a shallow well jet pump and enclosing it in a pit or a small shed then disconnect it in the winter. Is it a water producing well or more of a cistern??
    ________
    Starcraft 2 replays
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:59 PM.
    Mike

Comment

The sump pump won't give you the discharge pressure to run a hose.
      Running the pump with the valve closed will not harm the pump, the impeller just idles and in fact the amp draw decreases because the pump is not meeting resistance.
      sigpic

Comment

It is permament and a cistern ground water feed. No matter what HP I won't get the pressure I need? What do you use for a sprinkler system? What would you suggest for this installation? What is in a shallow well jet system?

Thanks, Ken

Comment

You need a shallow well jet pump. Goulds makes them, for that matter you can probably pick up a sta-rite at home depot. You will also need 1" pipe, some fittings and a 1" foot valve.
          sigpic

Comment

Is that it? No pressure tank and or pressure valves? I'd like to keep this as simple as possible for it will be at my church with multiple uses. I'd like to make it idiot proof. Wanted it to be self draining for winter protection. That's another reason I wanted the sump pump as it would back drain into well. Oh Well!!!

Comment

If you're just running a hose there's no need for the pressure tank. In Fla we installed sprinkler systems all the time with no tank. Pressure switch usually comes mounted on the pump. As soon as you open the hose the pump will run. You need to shut both power off to the pump when you're done.
              sigpic

Comment

you will have to drain it, so not to freeze in the winter.
                §m€llŸ™

Comment

Working...
                X