X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to un-solder copper joints

It's usually the smaller sizes that give trouble. 1/2 and 3/4 mostly.
    sigpic

Comment

Hello everyone, I stumbled upon your site via google. I am trying to replace a Delta Monitor 1400 series bath and shower set with a Kohler Bellhaven set. I live in a condo and so I can't go digging through my walls, so I'm limited as to what I can do. I purchased this device because it is a single control device, but in order to use it I have to replace the part of the assembly that connects to the hot and cold water, as well as the shower and tub spout lines. I know this is common sense to you guys but I just want to let you know everything I have done, so that hopefully you can help me. Anyway, I will have to replace this assembly, but after initial inspection it appears that only the hot and cold water are threaded, but the lines to the tub and shower appear to me to be soldered. Can I unsolder these joints in order to fit the new assembly in? After reading this thread it makes me think that I can, but I am wondering how I am going to push the line out if the shower and tub spout are firmly in place. It doesn't seem like there would be enough leeway to unsolder and pull the line out.

Also, my working space is limited. Just about a 6" - 8" hole where the contractors cut out the drywall to reach the plumbing. I am afraid this might not be enough room for what I need to do.

Thank you for your input. I have great respect for plumbing professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by cerdafied View Post
        Thank you for your input. I have great respect for plumbing professionals.
        Then call one. The job you described is for an experienced pro.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I see you're a computer geek

walking you through replacing a tub and shower valve would be as difficult as you trying to talk me through building a computer.

You should call a pro,

and I should go to Best Buy to buy a computer.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Based on your listed occupation, information, & questions. DO NOT TOUCH IT! You are about to F' up if you do. It's nothing like soldering on a computer board. Call a plumber.

J.C.

Comment

Service Guy is right, with a small opening that you have described it will take someone with the right experience to keep from having a flood or a fire. It's possible that your condo association may have some bylaws that exclude you from doing this kind of work.

Comment

Alright then I'll call a pro. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by cerdafied View Post
                  Alright then I'll call a pro. Thanks for your input.
                  Wow! That was easy.

Take this advice also. Hire a licensed and insured plumber. A handy man or your friends, cousin who watched a plumber do it once do not count as a "Pro's"

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

sometimes i cut the fittings.

then i use pliers and a torch to remove the 2 halves.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                    X