sweating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweating

can anyone please tell me what would be the best way to get rid of the moisture in the copper line,i'm trying to install a anti syphon in by my front yard spiget and the silver will not stick to the copper.heating line up to15min and i get nothing.

Re: sweating

Suck it out with a shop vac.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

.....or use compressed air.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

with the air compesser where would the the water exit through?

Comment

Originally posted by loudog39 View Post
          with the air compesser where would the the water exit through?
          It really would depend on where in your system your front bib is installed. If it is part of the piping system and the water is coming from the rest of the system the water will go anywhere you open the system other than the bib. If it is in your main riser you should really break open the line below the bib so the water never gets there. Either way you will never be able to heat the water out of the line to solder the fitting.

Mark

Comment

can you back pitch the pipe so the water trickle stays away from the sweat site long enough to heat the copper to the melting point of the solder? until the sweat site is clean, dry and fluxed, the solder will not run to the heat and complete the connection. depending on the type of fixture being applied to the pipe, some white bread(excluding crusts) can be stuffed into the pipe upstream of the sweat site. this will sometimes delay the water trickle long enough for the fixture to be properly sweated. this technique should only be used if the line can be effectively flushed of the bread. i wouldn't do this if the sweat joint went into some kind of appliance, like a water heater.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

On some stubborn lines I have had to add a threaded tee in line to let some steam/water out, then just use a threaded brass plug to cap it off after the fittings are soldered.

Greg

Comment

of course there is always propress, sharkbite, compression, jet-sweet,
                bread, lifting the line up, and a number of other ways that you will learn in your future career as a plumber

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  of course there is always propress, sharkbite, compression, jet-sweet,
                  bread, lifting the line up, and a number of other ways that you will learn in your future career as a plumber

rick.
                  I am testing a piece of pipe today and because of what I am looking for I used my first SharkBite fitting. I tested it all the way up to 160 psig plus spun it around more than once to make it easier to photograph. Pretty impressed so far with the fitting.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I am testing a piece of pipe today and because of what I am looking for I used my first SharkBite fitting. I tested it all the way up to 160 psig plus spun it around more than once to make it easier to photograph. Pretty impressed so far with the fitting.

Mark
                    you're welcome

next lesson, propress

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      you're welcome

next lesson, propress

rick.
                      You know the piece I'm testing and a ProPress would have been overkill.

Mark

Comment

You know the piece I'm testing and a ProPress would have been overkill.

Mark
                        So test another piece Propress is so easy even a girl can do it The gun is a little heavy though
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          So test another piece Propress is so easy even a girl can do it The gun is a little heavy though

the 100-b is much lighter than the 400

joey, you can do trenchless by yourself, who are you kidding

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            It's only 2-3" pieces of 1/2" copper with an elbow in between. One side was in good enough shape to use a SharkBite and the other side required a vinyl hose and a hose clamp. What would you imagine it would cost me to buy a ProPress to install one 1/2" MIP adapter on to a pipe sitting on my bench?

Mark

Comment

It's only 2-3" pieces of 1/2" copper with an elbow in between. One side was in good enough shape to use a SharkBite and the other side required a vinyl hose and a hose clamp. What would you imagine it would cost me to buy a ProPress to install one 1/2" MIP adapter on to a pipe sitting on my bench?

Mark
                              Not much if you just borrow it
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X