X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Municipal Pressure?

Why can't municipalities control their water system lines to produce stable and safe pressures throughout to eliminate private PRV's?

J.C.

Re: Municipal Pressure?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Why can't municipalities control their water system lines to produce stable and safe pressures throughout to eliminate private PRV's?

J.C.
    There are a couple of reasons. Lets say your supply comes from a reservoir which might fluctuate 200-feet between 10-years of no drought and a 10-year drought. The water pressure could vary almost 100 psig.

Now consider Mrs. Robinson lives at the bottom of a 400' hill and Mrs. Jones lives at the top. To give Mrs. Jones 60 psig you may be giving Mrs. Robinson 250 psig.

Within about a mile of my home water pressure vary between 35 psig and 185 psig. We are all fed from tanks.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

its bad and good. bad they cant do a better job controlling, but its good we can, like you said prvs, expansion tanks, the occasional water heater they kill, profit profit profit, its nothing down here to see pressures as high as 160 psi. what happened is some much above ground building went on that the water system couldnt keep up so untill they update, and they are, but that takes time taxes and money they just crank it up, so enjoy it while you can. at least you know enough to look out for it and can offer solutions to help protect the home.

Comment

I believe it has alot to do with growth in communities that was not accounted for when installation of mains. FE: Township XY decided to install public water mains. They have a population of 2000 which means that they need a 6" main. 10 years later Honda builds an assembly plant just outside of township XY. With 1000 job openings XY begins to grow as employees of honda need a place to live near work. Now XY has a population of 5700 (2000+1000 employees+1000 spouses+1.7 kids per household) XY begins to run out of water and decides that they can increase pressure on thier main to support the additional demand and it would be alot cheaper than installing a new 12" main.

Jsut my theory. Have nothing to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post
          I believe it has alot to do with growth in communities that was not accounted for when installation of mains. FE: Township XY decided to install public water mains. They have a population of 2000 which means that they need a 6" main. 10 years later Honda builds an assembly plant just outside of township XY. With 1000 job openings XY begins to grow as employees of honda need a place to live near work. Now XY has a population of 5700 (2000+1000 employees+1000 spouses+1.7 kids per household) XY begins to run out of water and decides that they can increase pressure on thier main to support the additional demand and it would be alot cheaper than installing a new 12" main.

Jsut my theory. Have nothing to prove it.
          no your absolutely right the infrastructure takes time to catch up ie roads utilities there was so much growth going on caught a lot of people by suprise, and that takes a lot of planning which seems to be the last things most municipalities are able to comprehend or predict so they have to play catch up which is costly and takes time.

Comment

When the time comes that all water meters are outside with easy access shutoff valves ahead of them, then maybe the water companies will install pressure regulators, check valves and safety pressure relief valves for each customer. Until that day comes, be glad plumbers can install such for us when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              When the time comes that all water meters are outside with easy access shutoff valves ahead of them, then maybe the water companies will install pressure regulators, check valves and safety pressure relief valves for each customer. Until that day comes, be glad plumbers can install such for us when needed.
              Most of what we see on the West Coast is already outside but I have never seen a municipality supply anything more than a meter and possibly a dual check. Remember the regulator is required by the Plumbing Code not by the AWWA.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X