X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I'm out of options

I have an old cast iron tub on the second floor of my house, and yesterday the tub stopped draining quickly. Now it is just drains at a trickle rate, and I assume it is clogged.

I went to home depot and purchased two types of drano, one was a gel, and one was foam. I also bought the Ridgid Kwik-Spin. I tried both types of drano and followed the directions, and when that did not work, I attempted to use the Kwik-Spin.

The snake wont flex going through the botton tub drain, and I tried going through the overflow drain. I can only get about six inches in using the bottom tub drain, but I can get 2 1/2 feet going through the overflow drain. At that point it stops, so I tried to hand spin the snake, but the clog did not clear. It seems that the pipe turns again, and the snake can't make the turn.

I thought maybe I was doing it wrong (I am horrible with tools), so I tried on the toilet and I can get it to clear all 25' of cable.

It's nighttime, and not really an emergency, so I don't need a plumber right now, but I think that is my only option at this point, as their expertise should get them past that turn. I know it was cleared a few years ago by a plumber using a snake, so I thought we could do it ourselves. Am I missing something? Or am I correct and should leave it in the hands of the professionals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John
    JD125

Re: Think I'm out of options

The Drano is bad to plumbing.

Comment

The plumber has to eat too. Plus you'll get to know him/her so you'll have a longterm relationship with that emergency that always comes up. Water heater goes when people visiting, main drain clogged at Thanksgiving. Get to know your plumber.

Comment

a lot depends on what kind of trap you have on the tub as well as the composition of pipe you have ie a drum trap lead trap cast iron pipe galvy could be anything, you could try filling the tub up to 2/3 full take a rag block off the overflow and plunge i cant tell you how many tubs ive opened this way pressure and volume can work wonders, if that does not work i would call out a pro, you would hate to turn what may be an easy repair into a costly nightmare. good luck

Comment

Just give a plumber a call, set up an appointment, spend roughly $150(if it's only a light stoppage), and have it finished.

You've tried enough, just stop before you create more work for the plumber, and a higher bill for yourself.

Just my view on the topic.
          Last edited by Aaron91; 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
            a lot depends on what kind of trap you have on the tub as well as the composition of pipe you have ie a drum trap lead trap cast iron pipe galvy could be anything, you could try filling the tub up to 2/3 full take a rag block off the overflow and plunge i cant tell you how many tubs ive opened this way pressure and volume can work wonders, if that does not work i would call out a pro, you would hate to turn what may be an easy repair into a costly nightmare. good luck

Thanks, I'll try this, and if this doesn't work, I'll have the plumber come out tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
              Just give a plumber a call, set up an appointment, spend roughly $150(if it's only a light stoppage), and have it finished.

You've tried enough, just stop before you create more work for the plumber, and a higher bill for yourself.

Just my view on the topic.
              Thank you, that was my feeling too, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something first. I appreciate the info.

Comment

Make sure you let the plumber know you put chemicals down your drain so he knows who to charge for his new cable. I don't blame you for trying it on your own but drain chemicals are never a good idea in a stoppage.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Not to mention whatever is left splashing around or up
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

No problem buddy, if it was something we felt you could handle, we woulda let ya know.

I second Mark's statement about letting the plumber know about the drain cleaning chemicals you put down the drain.
                    Last edited by Aaron91; 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

And make sure you let your plumber know about the chemicals so he doesnt get 3rd degree burns from the stuff hitting his bare skin. Right Greg. seriously though. Make sure you let them know about the pile of chemicals in that pipe.

Also.. I agree with aero. I have cleared my drains many a time using that method. If that doesnt work Call a plumber.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                        And make sure you let your plumber know about the chemicals so he doesnt get 3rd degree burns from the stuff hitting his bare skin. Right Greg. seriously though. Make sure you let them know about the pile of chemicals in that pipe.

Also.. I agree with aero. I have cleared my drains many a time using that method. If that doesnt work Call a plumber.

Josh
                        Will do, I'm a firefighter too, so I know burns suck. I'll be sure to let them know. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

NEVER USE FOAM CLEANERS IN A TUB!!! in fact never use em' period..

Comment

Working...
                          X