X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential gas water heater problems

Hello everyone, I have a question for the experts. I have an American water heater company gas water heater in my house and tonite it quit working. No leaks or anything the pilot light is lit and it is getting water and water is flowing through it but its only luke warm. I drained some water out of the bottom drain valve and it is a little rusty but no sediment to speak of. Every year in May I rum a 5 gallon bucket out of it and test the relief valve. I could hear gas going through the lines but no hot water. I shut the gas and water off to it and bled it down and will call my plumber in the morning. Just wondering what could cause this? Thanks for the help.
    ccnova

Re: Residential gas water heater problems

Well the Plumber, a good friend of mine came over this morning and we fired the water heater back up and everything is working fine. No real idea what happened. No one was home all day my wife and I got home about 5:30 and my son came home about 6:00. we made some supper on the grill and when my daughter came home from after school job at 7:00 she took a short shower and came out and said there was no hot water. She was right it was barely luke warm. her shower didnt last 3 minutes so she could not have emptied it and we ran no hot water after we got home. I shut everything off last night and when my friend stopped this morning we turned the water to heater back on and lit the pilot light and everything worked fine and is still working fine 10 hours later. anybody have any ideas why no hot water last night? American water heater company gas 40 gal g61-40540-3nv
    Thanks,
    ccnova

Comment

Originally posted by ccnova View Post
      Hello everyone, I have a question for the experts. I have an American water heater company gas water heater in my house and tonite it quit working. No leaks or anything the pilot light is lit and it is getting water and water is flowing through it but its only luke warm. I drained some water out of the bottom drain valve and it is a little rusty but no sediment to speak of. Every year in May I rum a 5 gallon bucket out of it and test the relief valve. I could hear gas going through the lines but no hot water. I shut the gas and water off to it and bled it down and will call my plumber in the morning. Just wondering what could cause this? Thanks for the help.
      ccnova
      Are you sure you heard the gas going through the line?

Comment

Originally posted by ccnova View Post
        Well the Plumber, a good friend of mine came over this morning and we fired the water heater back up and everything is working fine. No real idea what happened. No one was home all day my wife and I got home about 5:30 and my son came home about 6:00. we made some supper on the grill and when my daughter came home from after school job at 7:00 she took a short shower and came out and said there was no hot water. She was right it was barely luke warm. her shower didnt last 3 minutes so she could not have emptied it and we ran no hot water after we got home. I shut everything off last night and when my friend stopped this morning we turned the water to heater back on and lit the pilot light and everything worked fine and is still working fine 10 hours later. anybody have any ideas why no hot water last night? American water heater company gas 40 gal g61-40540-3nv
        Thanks,
        ccnova
        Ill take a guess, maybe the gas valve is getting stuck?

Comment

Could be the gas valve. Is it a standard gas heater? Power Vent? Direct Vent? Is it FVIR? If FVIR then the vent system could be clogged. First thing I would replace is the thermocouple. You could meter test it but it's cheaper/faster/peace of mind to replace it.

J.C.

Comment

Check a couple of areators in some faucets for a plastic like substance. If there is a presence then you may need a new dip-tube. This would dump cold water on top of your hot water and drastically reduce the amount of hot water you get. How old is the unit?? If its more than 5 years get a new heater.

Comment

Dip Tube! Forgot to think of that.

Comment

The pilot light was still going last night when I shut it down and it took off fine this morning when we started it back up. My firend was thinking either the dip tube or the regulator. It is a standard heater no power vent and not FVIR. This is the first problem we have had with it in 8 years since it was installed.
                ccnova

Comment

This exact problem happened to a customer of mine. It was a faulty electronic powervent gasvalve. The heater was fairly old and I convinced him to replace the whole thing.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

if the gas is on and the pilot is on, then a short amout of hot water would be a bad dip tube or a gas valve that is bad.

8 years old would lead me to the dip tube.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Can you hear water running through the pipes when the faucets are off? Could be a burst hot water pipe under the slab that's depleting the tank. Check your water meter and see if it's moving.
                      It could also be a cross connection. Moen faucets?
                      Feel the hot water pipe at the top of the water heater as someone turns on a hw faucet. Does it start hot and quickly go cold? Does it stay hot?
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X