X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing water

i have a problem that maybe the experts can help me with. I look after 3 apartment buildings of 60 units each.One of the buildings is using double the amount of water of each of the other two. I have just finished the annual inspection of the buildings and have found no major leaks. a few flappers in each building but that was all. each bathroom was checked in each building.I had a utilities worker in to check the meter. We were in the utilities room and the meter didnt stop moving for the 20 minutes we were there.After the meter all the piping is above grade within the building envelope.No signs of water escaping. We are talkingabout a substantial amount of water. any ideas where it may be going. thanks for your help and ideas. fred

Re: missing water

It sounds to me like there is a toilet that is not adjusted properly (running over the overflow). If there are valves or a way to isolate different parts of the building it may help you determine the problem.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Any chance it's a faulty meter, reading double the amount of water being used?

Did you check apt# 420? They might have an indoor grow room.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

Did you check apt# 420? They might have an indoor grow room.
        How do you know it is #420
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

with 60 units, it's hard not to have flow during the day. what kind of flow are we talking about? how many gpm's?

are you sure that the sprinkler system is not part of that meter?

how long has it been an issue? 1 month or multiple months?

can you send out a notice to ask the tenants if there are any running fixtures.

send out a notice that the water will be off for an hour and see if you can shut the hot off to isolate 1/2 of the water system.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

it is a considerable amount. 60 using the same amount as 120 apts. I am starting on monday to dye test all the toilets 120 to see if any flappers are leaking or perhaps syphoning in the toilets.will letr you know what i find. thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

go into the meter room at 3 in the morning and see how much is flowing ,if it the same as during the day now you know a toilet or sink is flowing and some one is not telling you
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I just had a 6 unit, $3,000 over what the water bill usually was.

I checked all units, it was the last unit, the toilet was dumping over the flush valve, so quietly, I wasn't able to hear it at all, i saw it when I lifted the lid.

In the same unit, I also found water pouring out of the price pfister packing out the handle and into the shower pan, the tenant was suprised to see this, even when he uses it daily when I replaced the stem,t he old one was missing the nut and packing.

tenant abuse and just plain old not caring.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

So what's the update BB?

Comment

Sounds like you found it, but another thing to look for is if anyone put in an RO unit. I've found high water bills from those not shutting off, running continually into the drain too. Not so likely in apts but you never know...
                    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

so far three flappers leaking. one was noisy, the other two nothing. Thanks for your input. I will check the other 80 toilets this wek.

Comment

Working...
                      X