Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog Horn Sound...Even with new fill valves

Hello,

I have been experiencing a fog horn sound coming from two toilets in my home. It happens after flushing and after each toilet refilled. One toilet, in the master bathroom, suffers the most from this problem. It was happening after every flush. With the second toilet, the problem was only intermittent but, when I do here the noise, it comes from behind the toilet in the master bathroom. Quite odd.

Measures taken:

1. I cut the water to the house and turned on the kitchen faucet until all the pipes were drained. Problem went away for about a week and then returned, though with less severity.

2. After reading on this site that these problems are usually caused by malfunctioning fill valves, I had both toilets rebuilt with new valves. The job was done by professional plumbers.

Result: I am still hearing the fog horn sound, but not after every flush.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Anything else I can do to remedy it short of knocking out a wall to find the pipe from which sound might coming?

Thanks!

Notes:
    Single story duplex town home (built 2004)
    Foundation: Slab

Re: Fog Horn Sound...Even with new fill valves

Originally posted by wcladley View Post
    Hello,

I have been experiencing a fog horn sound coming from two toilets in my home. It happens after flushing and after each toilet refilled. One toilet, in the master bathroom, suffers the most from this problem. It was happening after every flush. With the second toilet, the problem was only intermittent but, when I do here the noise, it comes from behind the toilet in the master bathroom. Quite odd.

Measures taken:

1. I cut the water to the house and turned on the kitchen faucet until all the pipes were drained. Problem went away for about a week and then returned, though with less severity.

2. After reading on this site that these problems are usually caused by malfunctioning fill valves, I had both toilets rebuilt with new valves. The job was done by professional plumbers.

Result: I am still hearing the fog horn sound, but not after every flush.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Anything else I can do to remedy it short of knocking out a wall to find the pipe from which sound might coming?

Thanks!

Notes:
    Single story duplex town home (built 2004)
    Foundation: Slab
    It's hard with not hearing the sound but considering what you have already done I would check your pressure in the house.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sounds like it could be coming from a loose washer in a riser (isolation) valve.

Comment

Make sure the anglestops are fully open. If they are partly closed the washer can flutter making a kind of fog horn like sound(sometimes shaking the whole house.)

Greg

Comment

Check the pressure, maybe need a new pressure regulator.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Turn off one of the toilets and flush the other and vise versa. Do you still hear the sound? Does it happen at the end of the fill or the whole time? Turn on another fixture while the sound is occurring. Turn of the stops to the nearby fixtures. Fire the "Professional Plumber" that came out. Call a witch doctor.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Could be a pinched or sharply curved fill tube between the fill valve and overflow pipe.

Comment

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the info. It turned out to be a defective PRV and ball valve. Your insight helped me discover this and saved me the time, frustration, and repair costs of dealing with the long-term consequences of high pressure. Your help was much appreciated.

Best,

Will Cladley

Comment

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the info. It turned out to be a defective PRV and ball valve. Your insight helped me discover this and saved me the time, frustration, and repair costs of dealing with the long-term consequences of high pressure. Your help was much appreciated.

Best,

Will Cladley
                  We need to start a tip jar around here
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-14-2008, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Hi All,

Best,

Will Cladley
                    SERVICE GUY WINS! That's one for the boys from the South.

And THANK YOU for reporting your results & solution. So many people never do.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      SERVICE GUY WINS! That's one for the boys from the South.

And THANK YOU for reporting your results & solution. So many people never do.

J.C.
                      You're not going to be another one of the trouble makers we've had problems with here are you?

Seeing only what you want to fit your comfort level.

I think Utah addressed this early on.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        You're not going to be another one of the trouble makers we've had problems with here are you?

Seeing only what you want to fit your comfort level.

I think Utah addressed this early on.

Adam
                        I don't know what this means.

Hope I'm not too much of a troublemaker. Just enough to keep things interesting.

Seeing only what I want to fit my comfort level. You're like the Zen man. Must wrap my mind around this. Hoommmmmmmm....(meditating).

J.C.

Comment

Hope I'm not too much of a troublemaker. Just enough to keep things interesting.

Seeing only what I want to fit my comfort level. You're like the Zen man. Must wrap my mind around this. Hoommmmmmmm....(meditating).

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
                            Adam is a very spiritual person

After getting to know him from the Forum and in person he not like the others

When he looks at you he doesn't just see you, he sees your soul, your aura, the 'inner' you

Yea, it's creepy at first but you'll get used to it

Comment

J.C.

I believe he may have been alluding to my post which was 17-hours before Service Guy suggesting the same thing. Not to take anything away from Service Guy as most guys from the South would have been 24-hours behind us Northerners.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X