X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cleanout plug.

Is it ok to use a PVC cleanout plug with CI? I'm removing a very old brass plug?

Re: Drain Cleanout plug.

Originally posted by Element818 View Post
    Is it ok to use a PVC cleanout plug with CI? I'm removing a very old brass plug?
    Yes assuming you are not in a fire rated assembly.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

even plastic plugs can be tuff to remove from cast iron after many years.

the nice thing is that you can break them out much easier if need be.

use some bowl wax to lube up the threads on the cast and the plug.

you can thank me in 5 years.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

So I went to the store and was talked into a rubber/plastic pressure mounted plug. After the install I ran the water, flushed toilets, etc...no water leaked. 4 hours later I found a bunch of water, blah!

I'm gonna throw a towel down tonight and get a regular plug in the morning (<--that statement doesnt sound right!)

I'm gonna try the bowl wax recommendation with the next attempt.

Comment

So I went to the store and was talked into a rubber/plastic pressure mounted plug. After the install I ran the water, flushed toilets, etc...no water leaked. 4 hours later I found a bunch of water, blah!

I'm gonna throw a towel down tonight and get a regular plug in the morning (<--that statement doesnt sound right!)

You really need to use a threaded plug w/teflon paste in order to assure that there are no leaks.
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

4 hrs later and a bunch of water??? Are you sure the line isnt clogged???
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

WELCOME;

USE A WIRE WHEEL OR BRUSH ON THE END OF DRILL TO CLEAN THE C/O THREADS GOOD
              WITH THEN A 4" ABS OR PVC C/O PLUG WITH TEFLON TAPE THEN TEFLON PIPE DOPE ON IT IT WILL SCREW IN FARLY EASY AND SEAL WATER, GAS TIGHT, AND STILL BE EASY TO GET OFF IN 5-10 YEARS
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

A test plug is not really meant for a threaded connection.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

On old ci, where the threads are unuseable after breaking out the brass plug, I use a 'cleanout gripper' plug... not unlike a test plug, but a little better.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

The new threaded plug seems to be holding up with a tape & paste combo. Thanx all!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                      4 hrs later and a bunch of water??? Are you sure the line isnt clogged???
                      Thinking the exact same thing.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I just replaced a cleanout tee because of this problem.

it was not stopped up, the water was running down the 3" stack from the top floor and coating the pipe, and it was a constant drip.

The customer used a dollar plug, to no avail, it still leaked pretty good.

I went in and replaced the cast iron tee, the threads were gone.

dope it up and tighten it up, all done.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I'm wondering what you guys do if you see a clean out plug with the four squares in it? Its usually in an old cast iron stack.

Can you just take a chisel and bust those out? I don't have that specific tool (don't know where to get it actually) and usually they are rusted shut anyways.

Thoughts? Opinions?
                          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                            I'm wondering what you guys do if you see a clean out plug with the four squares in it? Its usually in an old cast iron stack.

Can you just take a chisel and bust those out? I don't have that specific tool (don't know where to get it actually) and usually they are rusted shut anyways.

Thoughts? Opinions?

play hop scotch

actually the cheapest thing is to purchase some square stock steel tubing and make a drive wrench extension with it.

doesn't mean it will come out, but it's worth a shot.

even with all the fancy sockets and cheaters, there is 1 guarantee.

it either comes out, breaks the fitting, slip and scrape your knuckles, or doesn't budge

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X