Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Hot Water Pressure throughout the entire house - HELP!!!

Ok - as the title states: I have no hot water pressure throughout the entire house. I get hot water but it takes a good 3-5 minutes to get the master shower warmed up (Closest to the wh). The upstairs wh has no pressure at all. If you just turn on the hot water for the shower - you get a slow drip of warm water - it would taked over an hour to fill the tub up with warm water. There's no hot water for the washing machine at all and the kitchen faucet takes a good 10 minutes to heat up and the pressure is very weak.

When we first bought our new house (built 6 years ago)- there was hot water pressure but I did notice that it takes a good 3-5 minutes for the kitchen faucet to get hot enough to do the dishes and that the upstairs shower did take a while to heat up but you still could take a shower.

Here's the logistics:
    • House and gas water heater (50 gallons) = 6 years old (Built in 2002)
    • Gas water heater located in garage - TX
    • Pipes are copper pipes
    • At first I thought it was the water control valve (inlet - cold water entering the water heater) but I'm thinking not for the following reasons:
      • I turned off the cold water valve above the WH and flushed the WH and the water was clear (First time flush in 6 years - oops).
      • I left the drain valve open and turned on the cold water valve and the water came bursting out of the drain valve.
        • If the valve was clogged - the water coming out of the WH should be that stong right? I had a garden hose connected to the drain valve and the hose what shooting straight up into the air = lots of water pressure coming out.
    • So my 2nd thought was mabey it's clogged somewhere at the return water pipe (Copper pipes) - maybe at the dielectric nipples - or where the water leaves the wh and enters the house. (I hope this is the issue as the fix will be less expensive).
    • My 3rd thought was maybe it's jusst the wh itself. It's 6 years old and never been flushed - maybe it clogged inside the wh with mineral deposits. Are water is very hard with lots of calcium/mineral...
    I've called several plumbers and I get an answer from 1) Need to replace HW, 2) Just replace the Water Control Valve. But if it's the water control valve - then why did the water come out so strong when I drained the wh with the water control valve still on/open?

So I need your help - I'm planning on buying a gas HD for $450 + $400 labor from Home Depot. But will a new HD resolve my problem?

I may look into a bradford HW as I been reading this forum and they all say the wh at HD and Lowes suck (GE Brand). What about Sear?

Please help and sorry for the long explanation - but I wanted to make it clear of what is going on.

Re: No Hot Water Pressure throughout the entire house - HELP!!!

it's probably the check valve/ heat trap in the water heater nipples.

remove the cold inlet piping and test for flow.

you can also attach a garden hose to the bottom of the tank and turn on. if the pressure/ flow is good. then the issue is on th hot outlet nipple.

disconnect the hot outlet and connect a hose or flex connector to try the same test from the hot side.

chances are the nipple heat trap (marble, ball) is stuck in the fitting. remove the nipple and replace with a brass nipple.

you should be fine.

the ge heater is a rheem heater. residential heaters in this price range are pretty much in the same class.

it's like are you a chevy,ford, dodge fan?
    i've installed all the brands and service them all. there is not a trend that i've found with one over the other in the price range you're looking at. most issues are with the 3rd. party gas controls.

remember 6 years ago your 50 gallon heater was $150. not much money for a hot shower everyday.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick,

Sounds like good advice. I'll check the nipple for clogs.

Hope that's the culprit. Would rather spend the $$$ save on my Bimmer - It's needs some new shoes (Rear tires alone is $350+ each = Yikes)

So - it's unlikey the water heater? Are there sensors or pumps inside the wh that pumps the water back into the house. I did notice it read 300psi max and 150psi regular flow on the sticker on the hw.

Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

Thanks Rick,

I'll check out the nipples this weekend.

Either get this:

Heat Trap Dielectric Nipple - Model 15132 $7.99/EA

or

3/4 In. x 3 In. Dielectric Nipple, Hot Water Tank - Model 15832 $3.98/EA

Hopefully that's the issue.

So you think the wh is ok? How does the water pressure generate from the hw. Is there a pump that makes the pressure needed to pump the water throughout the house, are there sensors inside the wh that regulates this? I did notice a lable on the wh that read something like (300psi max - minium flow 150psi).

I rather spend the saved $$$ on my Bimmer - Need some new shoes (Rear Tires alone are $300+ each = Yikes)

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

If the water volume is coming fast out of the drain valve (5 GPM + under pressure) there is no reason to replace the water heater as that is not the problem. If the problem is throughout the house I would agree with Rick that the problem lies in the heat trap on the hot dielectric nipple. $450 for a heater (usually they are under $350) + $450 for installation (current installation charge in a typical basement in this area is $250) Most of the water heaters I put in end up with a total cost of just over $600. Heck, I would fly out there and install a new heater for $850. However, that is another issue. The only other cause of your problem could lie in the shutoff valves, cartridges, aerators, shower heads, etc. I'm willing to put my bet on that hot dielectric nipple. They came with heat trap nipples, but I took many of them out for this exact reason. Let us know what you find out.
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            If the water volume is coming fast out of the drain valve (5 GPM + under pressure) there is no reason to replace the water heater as that is not the problem. If the problem is throughout the house I would agree with Rick that the problem lies in the heat trap on the hot dielectric nipple. $450 for a heater (usually they are under $350) + $450 for installation (current installation charge in a typical basement in this area is $250) Most of the water heaters I put in end up with a total cost of just over $600. Heck, I would fly out there and install a new heater for $850. However, that is another issue. The only other cause of your problem could lie in the shutoff valves, cartridges, aerators, shower heads, etc. I'm willing to put my bet on that hot dielectric nipple. They came with heat trap nipples, but I took many of them out for this exact reason. Let us know what you find out.
            Prices vary tremendously (by region, by plumber, and by water heater model) so there is no point in discussing that with him! (for example last week I installed a 50 gallon natural gas powervent that cost over $800, my cost! the total job was over $1500)
            Anyway, there is definitely a restriction somewhere, its just a matter of locating it. Probably not the water heater itself, as others mentioned.
            Last edited by Service Guy; 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Well - I called a license plumber to come out (Found him on Craigslist). He used to be the Master Plumber for HD but now is working for another A/C - Heating -Plumbing Company. (Great Guy - Doing some side work)

I was quoted $65 to come out and replace both dielectric nipples. After cutting off the cold and hot copper piping to take off the nipples. PROBLEM STRUCK.

The copper pipes were welded to the nipples - There was no way to take them off. On the Cold Water Side the drip tube was attached to the nipple and the nipple was solder to the copper pipe - Was this done correctly?

Anyways - Here's what I was told:

1) Can't replace the nipple because of the reason mention above.
              2) After pulling the nipple from the hot water side (Water leaving HW and entering the house) the pipe attached to it was covered in some green crystal - looks like algae and mineral deposits (Lots and Lots) - Is this normal?
              3) I've also notive that the Pressure Release Valve never worked correctly. I was not aware that when the unit is up and running - when I pull the lever on the pressure release valve that water was suppose to come out - On the old WH unit - it never did anything when I pulled the lever - Not a good sign right? With the new wh installed - everything works fine.
              4) When moving the old wh there was a lot of sediment on the bottom of the tank - you can where it moving around when we shook the wh - also it sounded like the was something loose inside - neither that or the plumber was giving me long stoy about how my water heater is shot and need a new one.

Well - it just happens that he has a Brand New one in the back of his company truck. A.0 Smith 50-gallon Gas Water Heater (Model GCV-50) Manufacture 01/2008 - 6yrs warranty on tank and parts.

I quickly went online and research the wh. Online - this tanks sells for $450.00 (Not sure what he gets it for).

As he mention earlier in our phone conversation - if the tank needs to be replace - the most out of pocket for me would be $500.00

So the way I see it - he only charging me $50 to install. Even if I went to Home Depot and bought their GE water heater for $450 + tax, there's no way he was going to only charge me $50 to install. Plus he never charged me the $65 to replace the nipples originally.

*** Took my first REAL HOT Shower this morning and WOW - the pressure was so strong - I couldn't last 5 minutes in the shower. Even when be first bought the house - the Hot Water Pressure was never this strong.

Could it have been that when the plumber installed the wh - he/she solder the copper pipes to the nipples and mented the plastic piece instead and restricted the water slow from the very beginning?

Either way - this is how a shower should feel like - I'm been taking showers for the past 6 months huddling against the wall hoping for a sprinkle of water to come out - taking a shower back then took at least 20-25 minutes.

So did I get suckered in buying a new water heater - the original one was a Bradford White? If so - oh well - the $500 was well spent (At least my wife thinks so).

Thanks and sorry for the LONGGGGGG message,
              Mike

Comment

mike, sure the original plumber could have soldered the copper while it was attached to the nipples. but that's not how it's done. plus you would have had a problem from day 1.

as far as the plumber you found for $500.00

something tells me his side work also included a "hot heater"

by the time you pay tax on the heater, there would be 50 cents left for installation. not to mention all the rest of the parts and gas to drive there.

sound like you did good at someone else's expense

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I wanna know how a guy, that's a Master Plumber, ends up working at Home Depot.? Think I'd shoot myself first.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I wanna know how a guy, that's a Master Plumber, ends up working at Home Depot.? Think I'd shoot myself first.
                    We have quite a few that work here at HD. They're all in their 70's and just putter around. They love to work but realize they're days of crawling under houses are over. Another plumber retirement home over here is a supply house called Comet Plumbing. Every guy in there has at least 40 years experinece. Just retired master plumbers, I hope I get to do that when I'm their age.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The Home Dumpsters around here all have masters in plumbing and electrical.
                      Because were NOT in a recession.

Comment

I'll bet that when I hit 70, I can find better ways of making a buck than schlepping plumbing fittings to droolers. Besides, nobody looks good in orange.
                        sigpic

Comment

No way the plumber welded the copper pipe to the dielectric nipple. He may have soldered the fitting after putting it on, but your plumber still should have been able to get the nipple and starter off. The dip tube on the BW heaters is pressed into the nipple and a replacement dip tube includes the nipple. I agree your blockage was probably in the hot outlet side, which would have included the mag rod on that heater.

The guys at HD who just want to work part time I think.
                          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                            No way the plumber welded the copper pipe to the dielectric nipple. He may have soldered the fitting after putting it on, but your plumber still should have been able to get the nipple and starter off. The dip tube on the BW heaters is pressed into the nipple and a replacement dip tube includes the nipple. I agree your blockage was probably in the hot outlet side, which would have included the mag rod on that heater.

The guys at HD who just want to work part time I think.
                            So it sounds like it could have been fixed as long as the old water heater was working fine. Everybody is out to make a quick buck now a days.

Given that my water heater was only 5-6 years old and a Bradford White - I couldn't see it going out so soon - but then again I never flushed it nor looked at it from day one - Dooh.

One thing is for sure though. The Hot Water Pressure was never this STRONG from day one. I'm still amazed at how stong the pressure is when taking a HOT shower.

Thanks for all the input and help everyone,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster
                              I wanna know how a guy, that's a Master Plumber, ends up working at Home Depot.?
                              By charging $500 for a water heater, installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X