Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer line question

Hello everyone,

Got a question for some of you experienced plumbers. I am currently building a house that is approximately 200 ft from the street where my municipal sewer line is connected. About half way between the house and the road is one of the clean outs that temporarily sticks out about 5ft above our current grade until we establish our finished final grade. Today while working on the excavator I accidentally hit the clean out (4" schedule 40) about 8 inches from the top and shattered the top of the pipe into pieces. I collected all I could find and tried to "re-assemble" them to determine how many and how big pieces are missing. I think there are a few that went down the tube.

I sure don't want to dig this whole section out, cut it and see how much is in there. That nice Ridgit tool is too short and I don't think I want to buy the tool and a bunch of extensions (the "Y" is about 10 ft down).

Do you guys think it will get eventually pushed by sewage and "go away" or do I need to figure out a way how to check and possibly get it out of there? Or do I just need to dig it back out and make sure there is nothing in there.

If you have any other helpful tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Re: sewer line question

I have pushed plenty of broken PVC with my camera. as long as it's a straight shot and good pipe ,not to ruff it should go O.K. Other wise a jetter with some forward sprayers should work. It would be a lot easier then digging it up. Where are you from? I might be able to help if your in the area.

Comment

Call a plumber.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Call a plumber.
        I would, but he did not even want to install my sewer line so I don't think he is going to want to mess with a piece of PVC in it.

For some reason many plumbers in our area don't install sewer lines between a house and a street. Almost all of our excavating contractors do though and since I do some of my excavation myself, I ended up putting it in myself. What a pain, no wonder they don't want to do it. Got it inspected, approved, backfilled and now this. Just thought of connecting a couple of shopvac hoses and trying it that way. I will duct tape the connection since I can easily see myself loosing a shopvac hose section in that sewer line too .

Comment

You want to be sure the line is ok before winter. If you have a problem that has to be dug up frozen ground makes that more difficult.

You should have the line inspected with a pipe camera. This will tell you how deep the damage extends and if there are any pieces of pvc in the line. You want to be certain to replace the vertical of the cleanout from the lowest damage on up, and be certain it did not get pushed down into the line or push the line itself down.

If you just backed into it, it is likely only cracked at the surface or a few feet down. If you drove a wheel over it, the damage could be much worse. Regardless you should camera to be sure.

If there are pieces in the line, I agree with saysflushable they can likely be pushed through to the city main (which should be a big enough line that they will do no harm there) with the camera, or with another tool and the camera to verify they are gone. Small ones, with a largest dimension on the order of 1" (assuming 4" pipe), will likely wash out on their own if there are not too many of them. Bigger ones may cause problems.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Often the pvc shatters in long knifelike shards, small enough to fall down the cleanout, but too long to make the bend into the line itself. These stick down into the flowpath and catch paper and are a pain to get out... I tend to lasso them with a piece of string using the camera to help get it in position. Good Luck!
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
            X