X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater Question

I am now using a standard 50 gallon gas fired hot water heater in my one family two bathroom home for my wife and myself and we do not use a dishwasher. When It becomes necessary to replace my existing four year old heater I am intrigued by the new Tankless HW heaters that are now being prominently displayed in my local supply stores. I would like to know if there is any appreciable fuel savings between the standard and tankless units of similar capacity, and isn't scaling a constant problem with the tankless units? My town uses well water which is very acid and has to be treated with calcium compounds before they pump it into the mains. Once upon a time I had a tankless coil in a steam boiler that had to be acid cleaned at least once a year.
    Thank you for your time. Ronny

Re: Hot Water Heater Question

If the water is bad, stay away from tankless heaters.
    sigpic

Comment

don't waste your money on a tankless for your application.

there is no payback for your application. just payout

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

OK, I get the message, thank you very much. Ronny

Comment

it is recommended that you flush the tankless once a year with vinager to clean the heat exchanger.

rarely does this happen.

I have a customer who has 10 tankless units, had them for 4 years, they run 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, on recirculation loops, never been flushed, in west los angeles, where the water is not the best, and they have no lime or flow control problems

You will not be using your tankless nearely as much
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            it is recommended that you flush the tankless once a year with vinager to clean the heat exchanger.

rarely does this happen.

I have a customer who has 10 tankless units, had them for 4 years, they run 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, on recirculation loops, never been flushed, in west los angeles, where the water is not the best, and they have no lime or flow control problems

You will not be using your tankless nearely as much
            I thought 3 of those 10 were already replaced
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              I thought 3 of those 10 were already replaced

Silly you, I have not replaced them yet. 1 has a leak, not a lime situation, a lime situation causes temp and flow issues. The other has a control issue, I have not diagnosed this one, as it has remained off since I picked up the account.

1 has a blower fan problem and exaust issue, not a lime situation.

So, anyways, the one operates, and the other 2 are off. None of this was caused by lime buildup from not flushing the units. Different issues all toghether.

Since I have repaired all the other issues, they have had no problems. I await the approval to replace the 3 units that need to be replaced.

You know how those charity organizations operate ------>

I guess in a way I stand corrected, 8 units are in operation 24/7, but the ones that are off, are not off because of not being flushed. capiche???
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 05-01-2008, 10:14 PM.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

So you have to replace them before they have time to build up lime

Still don't like them. I won't run vinegar through one every year-too much trouble. I'm all about low maintenance.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work to me. I guess it is good for the service tech though. I always tell people that want one that the first thing they will need to do is put my number on their speed dial. I will warranty its correct operation for about the first hour, after that they will need to pay for any service work to the unit.
                  Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

A whole hour? How generous
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      So you have to replace them before they have time to build up lime

Still don't like them. I won't run vinegar through one every year-too much trouble. I'm all about low maintenance.

I would expect an outstanding wife like yourself to feel the same way about tankless as her husband does. Wifes tend to agree with their husband.

How many units have you installed or serviced Joey? Or Rick? 80% of the units are installed incorrectly, I was at a service call the other day, the installer ran 30 feet of 1/2 trac pipe to the unit. Like anything, it has to be installed correctly to function properly.

I have installed quiet a few and have had no complaints, 1 comes to mind, over 6 years old, installed in palos verdes, no flushing or anything, and the customer is very happy. NEVER BEEN FLUSHED.

I was just there the other day to clean a k/s line. No complaints, even after all these years.

To each their own, I UNDERSTAND tankless is not for everyone, and retrofits can be expensive.

I also understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                        Sounds like a lot of work to me. I guess it is good for the service tech though. I always tell people that want one that the first thing they will need to do is put my number on their speed dial. I will warranty its correct operation for about the first hour, after that they will need to pay for any service work to the unit.

How many units have you installed. I bet with what you are telling them, you have maybe installed one or less, if I was told this, I would not have had you install one either.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

The claims on these things are ridiculous. Aside from first fill or service, the heaters only heat what you use anyway. Any standby loss is so minimal (at least around here, it might be different in your a/c climates) that it would take 20 years to pay back the cost of installing it, much less servicing it. If you really want to save on fuel, put in a 94%boiler and mate it.

With a tankless, you still need a small tank to do a proper recirc line. It can be done w/o, but it's more trouble than it's worth.
                          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

How many units have you installed. I bet with what you are telling them, you have maybe installed one or less, if I was told this, I would not have had you install one either.
                            You have got that one right. I have installed one and worked on about a dozen different units. I think there will be a time when the tank-style heaters will become obsolete, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Yes, as soon as I tell them that they will have to call their gas provider and install a larger gas line and meter to support their stove, dryer, furnace, and this 200,000 btu water heater. Not to mention the $250 they will spend in stainless steel venting. Either that or tell them they will need to replace their whole electrical panel because they only have 100A service and the electric one they will need requires three 40A breakers. Maybe it is just that the water up here comes in at only 50 degrees, making it necessary to use larger heaters to achieve the same result when compared to those in other climates.
                            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I also understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion
                              I never said you couldn't have your own opinion, Now leave me alone and let me have mine. I said I wouldn't want to be bothered to keep up the maintenance
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Working...
                              X