Extra Vent in Roof

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Vent in Roof

Came across a unique roof vent issue the other day. There was two vent stacks within 2 feet of each other. One had been siliconed and capped. When I checked in the attic the silconed vent had also been covered with small sheet of plywood. The new vent which had been installed had actually been installed further away from existing vent piping and had a high spot in the pipe as it ran along the rafters. The vent pipe had also been wrapped in insulation. I recommended my client remove the unused vent and have vent pipe relocated to ensure slope was consistent draining into system. As we live in Canada I would assume that the water collected in vent pipe and froze creating a leak. Seller only mentioned the builder had come back over 8 years ago to fix some problems with apprentice using wrong glue.

Any thoughts on this situation cause or repairs I might have mixed.

Thanks

Re: Extra Vent in Roof

I've seen a lot of crazy things, and maybe I'm not understanding you right, but why would a plumber make a second hole in the roof for another vent? We'ld usually tie them together below. If he ran a whole new one, and one is dead, he would've likely reused the same hole. I would question if one of them isn't acually a w/h vent or something else, that maybe didn't get used. If there's a dip for water to collect, couldn't they just raise and support it before it goes up? You don't really worry about freezing in a vent stack usually. Or are you really north?
    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Might be an unused radon vent
      sigpic

Comment

that would make sense
        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

how many stories is the house..?

Comment

Working...
          X