• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: move the vent

I am in MA.

Comment

Well then Technically you arent allowed to even touch it even though you are the homeowner, if my memory does serve me correct, Duck Butter will have to confirm, but in MA you CAN run PVC in Residential I am 95% sure. ARe you one story or two? If you are one you could swap it our w/ PVC and not think twice.. do not use no-hub clamps, use "Pro-Flex" Fernco's w/ a rigid S.S. Band, not corrugated. Make sure whatever is above the pipe is properly supported before you cut it out or it will come down on you (I have seen this More than ONCE) To be honest with you I would reccomend a pro

Comment

I know I cannot touch it by code. But I may do it if it is simple or I may ask somebody with liecense do it. The code does say you have to use the same material to replace/repaire as you have now.

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
          I know I cannot touch it by code. But I may do it if it is simple or I may ask somebody with liecense do it. The code does say you have to use the same material to replace/repaire as you have now.
          That is assinine, you mean to tell me that code requires you to install an obsolete product instead of upgrading to something that is has become an industry standard? Galvanized is 1950's Besides that it has a higher coefficent of friction than PVC, is succeptable to caustic sewer gasses? What if the wrong amterial was installed in the first place are you REQUIRED to reinstall the wrong material?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            That is assinine, you mean to tell me that code requires you to install an obsolete product instead of upgrading to something that is has become an industry standard? Galvanized is 1950's Besides that it has a higher coefficent of friction than PVC, is succeptable to caustic sewer gasses? What if the wrong amterial was installed in the first place are you REQUIRED to reinstall the wrong material?

Funny as I thought Duck had told us you could not use galvanized DWV in MA. However, as weird as it seems he is right about materials.

(2) Allowable Materials.
            (a) When installing fittings or piping for renovations or alterations within an existing soil stack, waste stack, vent stack or drain, the fitting or piping shall be of the same material as the existing stack or drain and be compliant with a joining method outlined in 248 CMR 10.07. Exception: In new residential construction cast iron pipe may be used exclusively with PVC for sound reduction.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I read some sections of that document. I think the code will be changed soon. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Funny as I thought Duck had told us you could not use galvanized DWV in MA. However, as weird as it seems he is right about materials.

(2) Allowable Materials.
                (a) When installing fittings or piping for renovations or alterations within an existing soil stack, waste stack, vent stack or drain, the fitting or piping shall be of the same material as the existing stack or drain and be compliant with a joining method outlined in 248 CMR 10.07. Exception: In new residential construction cast iron pipe may be used exclusively with PVC for sound reduction.

Mark
                Mark, I read that as the waste stack all has to be the same material I.E. all copper, all C.I. or all PVC. Right now there is a transition from Galv. to C.I.. Thereby in my reading of the document he has an illegal waste now! Therefor he can "Legalize it" by changing the galv. to C.I.

I think that we need further Clarification from someone who deals with this code daily

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  Mark, I read that as the waste stack all has to be the same material I.E. all copper, all C.I. or all PVC. Right now there is a transition from Galv. to C.I.. Thereby in my reading of the document he has an illegal waste now! Therefor he can "Legalize it" by changing the galv. to C.I.

I think that we need further Clarification from someone who deals with this code daily
                  Hopefully Duck will check in and he is from MA. However, it did not really address grandfathered materials only that you can't change existing material types.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Galvy is a complete NO in Ma for drainage...it rusts far too quickly and gives debri's pits to cling to even before it's rusted closed, venting it's ok (why anyone would want to thread & cut that crap instead of CI, copper or PVC evades me)
                    I have already repeatedly told Lmei that PVC cannot be used below CI in the same vertical stack, and no, we don't make these rules up for the sake of profit either.
                    And...again...you really shouldn't be doing your own plumbing in MA...ESPECIALLY not gas and CO venting.

I understand that some states may actually allow homeowners to do their own plumbing as long as they pull permits and the inspector views the work...MA is NOT one of those states.
                    You can verfiy this by giving Don LaConte a call @ 781-862-0500 ext 212, he's the towns plumbing inspector for Lexington...in the event you may have felt I wasn't being truthful in my disclosure.

Comment

Working...
                    X