• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• move the vent

Can I move the vent (photos attached) into the wall and hide it? thanks
    Attached Files

Re: move the vent

It's hard to tell from the picture if the trap arm leading to the trap is longer than 5'(the max. distance).

Per code your trap arm cannot have the 45 deg.elevation change.

I don't know the structual conditions of the wall or how you intend to alter them to get the approved fittings installed manner.

Anyhow...Yes you can

Comment

What I am asking is if I can hide the vertical vent section into the drywall. see the photo please.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yesyou can, but it's still too far away from the trap it serves.
        sigpic

Comment

I would leave all that alone and build out a false wall. It would take less than a day and the electrical would look better too.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
            What I am asking is if I can hide the vertical vent section into the drywall. see the photo please.
            We know.Just giving you the heads up.
            Have you opened the wall yet to see what's in there?Got any new pictures?
            Last edited by drtyhands; 05-03-2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Ok, I did tell you the entire plan. The original sink was at the corner of that room so the trap was far from the vent. I want to move the sink to the middle of that room where will be very close to the vent. the distance from the trap to the vent will be cut off at least half, say 1' or 2' from the vent.

I will get rid of all existing electrical on that wall.

I will tear off the wall today, i think there will be nothing except for the hot and cold pipes.
              Last edited by lmei007; 05-03-2008, 09:13 AM.

Comment

as long as you roll the vent into the wall on a 45 degree angle in an 45 up, it's considered vertical and is fine. then a 90 can be used at the vertical to horizontal at the ceiling height.

the trick/ code is to use sanitary fittings and stay in a vertical position until you're 6'' above the overflow level of the fixture.

45 is considered to be vertical.

that dirty arm is not only too long, but you can't roll up with that 45 to the trap.

probably use the top san tee for the trap and the lower one for a c/o.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you for your help and I know i can hide it into the wall properly now. But I want to contiue this topic.

The long arm shown on the photo is not really that long. It's less than 5'.

It looks like the vent pipe is galvanized steel pipe. I know have to handle copper and cast iron pipes but don't know how to deal with galvanized pipe. It will be similar as how to handle cast iron? The difference is galvanized pipe can use thread connection but cast iron cannot?
                  thanks,

Comment

The easiest way to change that pipe is to cut it above the threads on both ends with a reciprocating saw, just far enough to get half of a flexible coupling (Fernco) on it. Then you can easily install PVC to reconnect the vent. This works out much easier than trying to loosen fittings that have been in for 50 years.
                    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Devine ,may be right, may be wrong ! You don't list Your Hood! It's a big country, with different local code amendments. In S. F. No ferncos indoors,only metal banded couplings!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Where I live needs to use same material to replace/repair the vertical pipes. So I have to use galvanized pipe

Comment

Can we use metal banded couplings to join galvanized pipes, like we did for hubless cast iron pipes?

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                            Where I live needs to use same material to replace/repair the vertical pipes. So I have to use galvanized pipe
                            If you give us more information we could probably help you with Code issues. Of all of the major International Plumbing Codes (not to be confused with IPC) I am familiar with non of them say you have to stick with galvanize if that's what you have.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If you tell us where you reside we can answer your question. everyplace has different code requirements. Physically though yes you can it will fit

Comment

Working...
                              X