Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wolverine Brass Compression Stops

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    To you guys who use the compression stops exclusively, what do you use in applications such as under w/c's and pedestals where they are exposed? do they have extension tubes to "clean" them up I exclusively use the brasscraft sweat angle stops for pretty much all applications and have never ventured to try something else, but i dont think i would have my guys install these.

Cut the pipe 1 1/4" from finished wall.

This will keep the stop tight against the flange.

Comment

a hah, well i do see the cost savings with using them instead of the brasscrafts w/ extension tubes but id rather stick to the sweat style, less chance for call backs. I try not to be pennywise dollar foolish especially with materials

Comment

compression angle stops are the most popular stops out here.

ips/ threaded stops are more old school with gal pipe. although my buddy always did his re pipes with brass nipple stub outs.

compression stops should be lubed to cut the friction of tightening the nut.

i've installed tens of thousands during my run in new construction. it doesn't take force as i only used a 7'' long ratcheting flare nut wrench. the trick is to lube the compression thread which cuts the friction. i found that bowl wax was easy and clean. better than pipe dope.

make sure that the ferrule fits snug. it could be a production run issue.

i would think that it's a nut issue if the compression nut is not machined properly, the ferrule will not seat correctly and will crush, not seat.

there was a time that our laundry compression bibbs were a combination of compression, ips and sweat. what a piece of junk. the nuts would split as the thread was tapered on the valve.

99% of the stops i use are brasscraft. other than their stems being an issue with wearing, the compression has never been an issue.

and it's never been an issue using a ferrule puller to swap out years later to another brand of 1/4 turn. these used a slightly different thread.
        need to stick with brasscraft as the nuts are interchangeable and don't require a swap.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Alright, first there's the "torque multiplier" and now a "ferrule puller". Where do I get one of those?
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

yeah ferrul puller tell us more master rick

Comment

I can usually just grab the ferrule, if the nut will push back far enough to turn it off of the pipe. If not, sometimes just grab the compression nut and wiggle them both off at once. I have strictly used compression stops for as long as I have been in business. Just a little pipe dope on the mating surface of the stop itself.
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

http://pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf

go to page #6 compression sleve puller. i tried to copy it but can't find where the image was stored

also page 12 has the angle stop wrench 15/16''. don't buy the dual 15/16'' x 5/8''

the wrench on tool is also great for 1/2'' slip joint and 3/8'' comp.

rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-08-2008, 01:05 AM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks a lot for all of the replies. I have many disagreements with my boss at to what kinds of products and such we should use. If I had it my way, we would use Brasscraft products over WB and sweat over comp. We have a tiny shop in an area that is not exactly overflowing with wealth so unfortunately we can't always use what looks the best or is best for the application. I could go on for a long time but I don't feel like it is respectful to vent about the insides of business on a public forum with people I don't know too well yet. We should have a private forum because there are some things I would love to talk to some of you old timers about.

Comment

I love the Wolverine Brass basket strainers, the best on the market in my book.

The faucets are really good also, and the ball valves are heavier then most on the market.

I don't do compression anything, but angle stops, the rest is solder.

the best thing about wolverine brass is that you can have your logo installed on the material
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

i cut stubs at 1 5/8 from finish, sand and ream. a drop of 3 n 1 on male threads, spin till the fat ferrule sings. never had issues with brasscraft.

Comment

I just did a job, replaced 22 stops and supplies. I pulled old ferrels and nuts, with a channel locks, so they weren't on that tight,

from experience, I check about 5 times before I leave, I had 2 small seepers. turned the water off, a little keytite, and water on and off to my next call
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                          yeah ferrul puller tell us more master rick
                          Any good supply house should have these in stock there very common around my area at least...

Comment

Working...
                          X