Wolverine Brass Compression Stops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverine Brass Compression Stops

I was wondering if anyone here has had any trouble with Wolverine Brass 1/2" od quarter turn angle stops leaking. I have had five out of the last ten or so that I have used recently leak. They leak at the compression end and most times after tightening will continue to leak.Today I finally got upset enough and tried to wrap a little tefflon tape on the ferrul and use a bit of dope on the threads to maybe get a little more turn out of it. It still leaked. The ferrul never tightens up enough to crimp the copper tubing. I can usually pull the ferrul off.I did another test on a scrap piece of tubing. I took a new stop and tightened it until I was sure the compression nut would split to see if it would make a crimp on the tubing. It did but I was still able to spin the ferrul.I am about to stop ordering Wolverine valves. Any similar experiences?

Re: Wolverine Brass Compression Stops

I never use them. Wolverine or any other brand for that matter. Compression fittings have a nasty habit of developing leaks over time.
    sigpic

Comment

did you get the right one to use on ID copper

maybe they were marked wrong
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I hate em, we're plumbers so sweat a pipe. That said, our shop uses them almost exclusively, so I have no choice. Forget tape. Use teflon pipe dope on the ferril from the start and they seem to hold. At least on hard copper. If you're using them on soft copper I don't know.
        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I always use pipe dope on the threads and a touch on the compression ring. I don't have experience with compression stops from W.B. Give them a call, I would be interested in how they handle it since we have just began installing W.B. products.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I agree with the fact that comp fittings suck but I am in the same boat as someone else here, that is all our shop uses too.I switched them all out with Wolverine Brass multi turn stops which for some reason did not leak. I have never had a problem with Brasscraft stops.As for other Wolverine products, along with their comp stops, I hate their chrome p traps and tailpiece extensions as well. My old shop had a lot of problems with the cheap nuts cracking and the black washers leaking. We usually had to put a bunch of megalock in the slip joints.Actually the only Wolverine Brass product I like is their Hush ballcocks. I have put a few of their lav faucets in and dislike them as well. I'm a Delta guy.

Comment

Even though I don't use them, maybe you just need to lean into the wrenches a bit harder.
              sigpic

Comment

You gotta put the dope on the copper pipe after sliding the nut and ferrule on.

Guaranteed not to leak.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatthepipe View Post
                  You gotta put the dope on the copper pipe after sliding the nut and ferrule on.

Guaranteed not to leak.
                  now that you said that some one will try it

i hope so we can get a good
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I never use them. Wolverine or any other brand for that matter. Compression fittings have a nasty habit of developing leaks over time.
                    I've never had a problem with them. What kind do you prefer? The solder or the FIP type?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      now that you said that some one will try it

i hope so we can get a good

Chalk up another one who needs to learn....

Comment

You should never apply tape or thread sealant to compression or flare fittings.
                        sigpic

Comment

A drop or two of machine oil on the threads is recommended by the manufacturer.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

put the dope on the pipe, right in front of the ferrule.

when the ferrule tightens up, this makes sure the ferrule does it's job.

Comment

To you guys who use the compression stops exclusively, what do you use in applications such as under w/c's and pedestals where they are exposed? do they have extension tubes to "clean" them up I exclusively use the brasscraft sweat angle stops for pretty much all applications and have never ventured to try something else, but i dont think i would have my guys install these.

Comment

Working...
                              X