Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magnesium Rod in W/H?

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    Love the USA, I am guessing they use the magnesium over aluminum due to aluminum being lower on that scale, meaning it deteriorates faster than magnesium? I should look into swapping in an aluminium rod, my well water from time to time stinks pretty bad.

Yea I have one on order right now to switch out in a B/W water heater, should be here tomorrow. About 36 bucks for the new aluminum rod, I hope it works for my customer. Their well water on the hot side just friken stinks bad but not on the cold. It's not a recall, they will pay for a service call and the rod and with no guarantee but I don't know what else to try. I'll let everyone know how this one works out since it was brought up.

Comment

IR, I am interested and will definitely check back to see if you find out anything. I have noticed that my water stinks at different times of the year, and neighbors (including my plumber) have noticed the same. It almost follows the season changes, very odd!

Comment

QUOTE=Alphacowboy;363387]Love the USA, I am guessing they use the magnesium over aluminum due to aluminum being lower on that scale, meaning it deteriorates faster than magnesium? I should look into swapping in an aluminium rod, my well water from time to time stinks pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect......Of the 3 popular sacifical anodes magnesium, aluminum, and zinc; magnesium has the most negative electropotential (which in simple terms means it will give itself up more easily followed by aluminum and then zinc). This is depended on many variables eg. the liquid the anode is placed in, heat, the metal it is to protect...etc.... For more information check out the "galvanic series"

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
          yea i have one on order right now to switch out in a b/w water heater, should be here tomorrow. About 36 bucks for the new aluminum rod, i hope it works for my customer. Their well water on the hot side just friken stinks bad but not on the cold. It's not a recall, they will pay for a service call and the rod and with no guarantee but i don't know what else to try. I'll let everyone know how this one works out since it was brought up.
          You will want to drain the tank and do a super chlorinate and then drain tank a second time " before " installing the new anode rod or otherwise it will still have traces in the
          water and the hot pipes ! If you want to know details pm me
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
            Be aware if you are cutting the anode and removing it you will be voiding your warranty. It is there for a good reason, and you can switch between aluminum and magnesium for the rods depending on h2o conditions. I carry spare rods in my van for when I do service on tanks. Only takes a couple minutes to check and replace if necessary.
            On some of the power vent heaters it takes waaaaay more than a couple minutes to check and change. I carry spare anodes too and they sure come in handy.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              People with a family history of Alzheimer's disease should avoid aluminum, be it in soda cans or hot water tanks.
              I read the same thing a while back, then I also read that people who eat food cooked in aluminum pots and pans had no greater incidence of alzheimer's than people who don't. So the conclusion was that the aluminum in the ameloid plaques was from a completely different source than oral intake. (Just sharing what I read. I'm certainly no expert on the subject)
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

furthermore.....I read a few months ago that alzheimer's may in fact be contagious similar to mad cow's disease (or Creutzeldt-Jakod disease in humans). If I recall, researcher took infected human brain tissue and injected into mice...anyway, just repeating what I read.....

Comment

That sounds like Shatner on Boston Legal (Denny Crane) who had early alzheimer's and referred to it as "the made cow"

Comment

Working...
                  X