Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toilet-caulk or grout-poll

ALL TOILETS WILL BE SEALED!!!!

If you want to use silicone I'm just going to tell the home owner it's going to be an extra for my time to deal with the overkill,still no garauntees.More than likely I'm not going to get it all off the floor.

First thing the inspector will bust us on thereby preventing the homeowner receiving their Notice Of occupancy or signing off Final Inspection.

It is a cesspool for germs and bacteria to accumulate millimeters away from out of sight under there.

If the job is done right that toilet is not going to be removed for years till the homeowner desides it's time to upgrade to the times.

The time and obvious posibility of complications removing the sealant need to be communicated to customert and included in price.

Comment

this has been discussed time and time again.

every fixture needs to be caulked to the adjoining surface. period.

not only is it a code requirement. it is for health reasons. it also prevents the toilet from rocking and shifting.

if it's not caulked, it's not right. period.

don't let dog read this or he will chew your heads off

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

For those who like to leave a gap or not seal the water closet at all you need to consider why you seal fixtures to the wall or floor. It has noting to do with the bowl wax being bad and the caulking trapping the spilled water. It has everything to do with preventing water on the floor from getting under the fixture. Think about it now many times do you see a water-tight floor penetration at the closet flange? Now when the kids splash water out of the tub and the water on the floor gets under the water closet how do you mop the water up? My guess is you have never been called out to a house to pull a water closet so the owner can mop up a spill from the tub.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-08-2008, 10:10 PM.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I do the same as Service Guy and Dunbar, Prefer not to caulk and if I do I leave the very back without. I believe if the wax ring were to leak the caulk would trap the water and eventually rot the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            For those who like to leave a gap or not seal the water closet at all you need to consider why you seal fixtures to the wall or floor. It has noting to do with the bowl wax being bad and the caulking trapping the spilled water. It has everything to do with preventing water on the floor from getting under the fixture. Think about it now many times do you see a water-tight floor penetration at the closet flange? Now when the kids splash water out of the tub and the water on the floor gets under the water closet how do you mop the water up? My guess is you have never been called out to a house to pull a water closet so the owner can mop up a spill from the tub.

Mark
            This is exactly correct, and why its CODE. I still don't always do it, but it IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO! (Yes, I am now officially a hypocrite! )
            I still won't seal my own toilets to the tile, I like the bare tile look too much!
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

So what would you guys do if the job was going to be inspected.

Service Guy,need to change your user name to "Stand Up Guy"
              No bologny

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

every fixture needs to be caulked to the adjoining surface. period. Are you sure this is a need.

not only is it a code requirement. it is for health reasons. it also prevents the toilet from rocking and shifting. Explain to me all of these health reasons. If water can get underneath a toilet so can air and any moisture will evaporate. I have never seen any floor damage from a toilet that was not caulked. Took one out today that had been there since 1951 and floor was still perfect. However, I have seen situations where water was trapped from a leaking wax ring and caused floor damage on more occasions than I can count on both my hands and feet. I noticed some others talking about leaving the back uncaulked. What purpose does this serve? If it is designed to let water escape, then it will also let water in, defeating the purpose of caulking in the first place. If a properly secured toilet flange and the bolts cannot keep a toilet from rocking and shifting, there is no way a little bead of caulk is going to do so.

if it's not caulked, it's not right. period. Everyone has an opinion I suppose.

rick.
                Usually we see things pretty much as they are, but apparently not so on this issue.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  Usually we see things pretty much as they are, but apparently not so on this issue.
                  So a plumber roughs in a waste system improperly,or does not raise the ring to the proper elevation and stax wax.Either way,whatever the reason the toilet installer is protecting the floor from a pre-existing shotty workmanship scenario.Plumb it properly and it won't leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    This is exactly correct, and why its CODE. I still don't always do it, but it IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO! (Yes, I am now officially a hypocrite! )
                    I still won't seal my own toilets to the tile, I like the bare tile look too much!
                    That almost sounded like the start of a 12-step program for plumbers. I think we all fudge a little on our own home where we would not at a customers.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      So what would you guys do if the job was going to be inspected.

Service Guy,need to change your user name to "Stand Up Guy"
                      No bologny
                      Not sure if that was an insult or a compliment, but thanks.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Ben,
                        You trickster,you knew what you were doing the whole time.You were bored and wanted some drama didn't you

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                          Sadly this issue is not about everyone having their own opinion as it is a Code requirement. The difference between a doctor practicing medicine and a plumber doing plumbing is the doctor has the liberty to vary from the standard methods and the plumber has to follow the written Code. Under both the Uniform and the International Plumbing Code it states water-tight seal. A lack of sealant means there is no water-tight seal.

Mark

Comment

I actually thought the first person to say they did not seal the toilet was kidding I also thought the plaster of paris was a joke
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally Posted by PLUMBER RICK

every fixture needs to be caulked to the adjoining surface. period. Are you sure this is a need.

not only is it a code requirement. it is for health reasons. it also prevents the toilet from rocking and shifting. Explain to me all of these health reasons. If water can get underneath a toilet so can air and any moisture will evaporate. I have never seen any floor damage from a toilet that was not caulked. Took one out today that had been there since 1951 and floor was still perfect. However, I have seen situations where water was trapped from a leaking wax ring and caused floor damage on more occasions than I can count on both my hands and feet. I noticed some others talking about leaving the back uncaulked. What purpose does this serve? If it is designed to let water escape, then it will also let water in, defeating the purpose of caulking in the first place. If a properly secured toilet flange and the bolts cannot keep a toilet from rocking and shifting, there is no way a little bead of caulk is going to do so.

if it's not caulked, it's not right. period. Everyone has an opinion I suppose.

rick.

sorry for the copy and paste large format

it's not opinion, it's code.

the reason is a sanitary issue.

show me 1 person that has never missed when they used the toilet.

also when mopping, how do you prevent water and muck from getting under a toilet where it's impossible to clean.

as far as caulking for helping to secure a toilet. show me any toilet that is perfectly flat to the perfectly flat floor. in the old days there were 4 bolts. 2 for the flange and 2 for the floor.

caulking will fill the void and when properly squeezed in between the toilet and floor, will dry and prevent rocking and movement.

don't believe me or the other new guys that do new construction. just ask your plumbing inspector next time you set a toilet without caulking.

it's the code for a reason. same reason why sinks are caulked to the underside and top side of a counter top. how do you secure a self rimming sink? not bragging but i've set tens of thousands of sinks and toilets. 15 years of new construction, production plumbing will teach you the codes and the reason behind the code.

once again, if it's not caulked it's not right. it's not code. no ifs ands or buts. period. this is not an opinion, it's the code.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

For those floors that are really screwed up, being crooked tile or a concrete slab that has dips, I use hydraulic cement.

I mix the hydraulic cement in a small bucket then I pack it around the base of the toilet with my hand pressing it into the void. It's messy looking at first, but I wipe it smooth and then scrape the edges so that there is an ever so slight recess at the edge of the toilet to floor connection.

I will caulk this recess if a color match is needed. For most restaurants the light gray cement matches the grout anyway. It cures really fast and comes off the toilet easily the next time the toilet is pulled.

Comment

Working...
                                X