X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toliet flanges

what is the easest way to take off a toilet flange on a cast iron set-up? and not break the cast iron 90. also i tried searching for pics on how to lead a new cast iron flange on and cant find any yet. sorry for the dumb post, tried searching.......

Re: toliet flanges

Take pictures; there's numerous ways those are installed and depending on what way yours was done.....it might be more simple than you think.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

ive never used lead before. thats why im asking. just curious tho on how to break the old flange off and not the 90 lol.

Comment

Not real sure about easy, but if you can access it from the bottom it is easiest to break the cast iron before the elbow using a chain break and replace the 90 and the flange with PVC. Otherwise, the only way I would try to replace is to break the flange off the outside of the pipe in pieces and install a PVC compression flange (regardless of the bad rap they have here on the board). I had to do this today to a house on a slab w/cast iron drains. Had to gently tap the pipe and from the inside out, after the flange was removed, breaking off small pieces to lower the drain pipe down to the right height. Just glad I didn't crack it all the way down.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Ahhhh...

Now that you're more descriptive I have an idea what you're dealing with.

That flange should likely be brass soldered to a lead bend, the lead bend leading to a brass ferrule, a ferrule that was lead wiped for installation into the hub of a cast iron 90.

The "best" option is to cut the pipe behind the 90, do the conversion of cast to plastic with a mission coupling and transition to PVC. Do not strain that PVC into position; you'll have problems down the road with that thinking.

Basically rework the piping over and turn up a new flange, reset the toilet and move on with it.

Hiring a licensed plumber will be a job for that plumber as simple as how I typed this out.

Ryan Seacrest,

"OUT!"
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            Not real sure about easy, but if you can access it from the bottom it is easiest to break the cast iron before the elbow using a chain break and replace the 90 and the flange with PVC. Otherwise, the only way I would try to replace is to break the flange off the outside of the pipe in pieces and install a PVC compression flange (regardless of the bad rap they have here on the board). I had to do this today to a house on a slab w/cast iron drains. Had to gently tap the pipe and from the inside out, after the flange was removed, breaking off small pieces to lower the drain pipe down to the right height. Just glad I didn't crack it all the way down.

i think the pvc flange is the way to go imo. i just wanted to know the safest way to break the flange.

Comment

I would say hit it directionally away from the pipe with a FRAMING HAMMER, but that might cause problems.
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

i just need to find pics lol. im still trying to get the whole lead thing in my head straight.

Comment

I usually use a cold chisel and a hammer to break a crack in the flange and then it usually pulls straight up
                  sigpic

Comment

I buy cheap bits and drill out the lead first, then I cold chisel the flange and BLAM!! it comes off, it takes some patience, but it will come off, the hardest ones last about 30 mins.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                    X