Holes in Toilet Tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes in Toilet Tank

What are the four holes (horizontal row across back of tank) in my Kohler low style toilet? They are in the tank a few inches from the top lip on the back side of the tank. The previous owner put in three corks and left one open.

What are they there for? Overflow? Then the water flows onto the floor.

Should there be a cork in the fourth hole?

Thanks for an explanation.

Re: Holes in Toilet Tank

I have a Kohler toilet as well but with no holes. My guess is the holes are to allow displacement air to enter/exit the tank during the flush cycle. The overflow is the vertical pipe in center of tank and the top of it should be lower than the holes across the back. If it isn't then I'd cork the 4th hole.
    Last edited by Pogster; 05-09-2008, 12:19 PM.

Comment

There is no vertical overflow in the tank. There is, however, a hole in the front of the tank and a plastic tube extending from the flushing devise to this hole. I think it is used to fill the bowl???

I'm still confused as to the purpose of the holes in the back of the tank. If they need to be plugges, then why are there in the first place???

Comment

Apparently the toilet isn't leaking with one hole uncorked so I wouldn't worry about it. Why the other owner put the corks in is anybodies guess. I highly doubt the corks came with the toilet.

Comment

maybe there for fatening the tank to the wall? So there is no chance that it could get pulled off or bent to a degree of cracking? who knows?
          if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

they are there for purposes of venting to allow for the water and tank to be at a similar temperature and help prevent condensation.

a major mistake/ screwup was when their ballcocks would break off at the cap assy/ pivot and the tank would continue to fill. so fast that the older overflow assy would not handle the water fast enough. the 4 vent holes would overflow.

the retrofit kit came with a newer flush valve that was a large rectangle instead of the quarter size round one. also the replacement ballcock cap would be a brass pivot arm and not the original plastic.

just another example of why i don't like kohler.

i've had to retrofit hundreds of the older 1 pc. rialto toilets that had this design flaw.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              they are there for purposes of venting to allow for the water and tank to be at a similar temperature and help prevent condensation.

a major mistake/ screwup was when their ballcocks would break off at the cap assy/ pivot and the tank would continue to fill. so fast that the older overflow assy would not handle the water fast enough. the 4 vent holes would overflow.

the retrofit kit came with a newer flush valve that was a large rectangle instead of the quarter size round one. also the replacement ballcock cap would be a brass pivot arm and not the original plastic.

just another example of why i don't like kohler.

i've had to retrofit hundreds of the older 1 pc. rialto toilets that had this design flaw.

rick.
              Also sometimes when the caps would leak it would shoot directly at the first hole and leak right through onto the floor.

I too dont like Kohler

Comment

I love Kohler products, been installing them for years. I agree that they made some poorly designed toilets in the 80s though!!! I think many of us have cursed working on some of the one-piece designs that are still out there.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I also have that kind of toilet but never wondered the hole function :P
                  Bathrooms

Comment

Working...
                  X