X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30lb felt under bath tubs and insulation

Has anyone ever put 30lb building/roofing paper underneath their tub installs between the bottom of the tub and the subfloor to help cushion the tub, prevent squeaks, and to minimize noises and sound levels in general? Has it been successful or is there something better for this?

What about putting bat insulation around the tub?
    Last edited by dannywild; 05-13-2008, 07:41 AM.

Re: 30lb felt under bath tubs and insulation

Why not struct-o-lite? It isnt code but if you dont use it with these fiberglass tubs now you are a fool!

Comment

Yes I do, I use the 30lb felt and damp mortar in piles. The reason for piles, is so you may lower the tub and it should be able to squish down. If you have a continuous bed of mortar, it may not lower all the way (the tub), nowhere for the mortar to spread, because it is just a damp mix. Also, just put it under the base of the tub, no need to get carried away. This should get rid of the softness in the tub, when your standing and moving around.

There are other products that some people are using instead of mortar, but I like the mortar because it always does the job nicely. And I have never had a failure in using this... Mark
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If you do use the mortar please please put down some plastic between the tub and mortar.

I had to remove a Kohler whirlpool tub to do a warranty repair on a leaking jet line. (on back side of course) Installer put down mortar without a layer of plastic. So instead of installing a 1" PVC coupling I had to replace the tub after cutting the old one out with a sawzall.

Comment

Your right PC, I completely forgot to say something about that. Even at just a damp mix, those fibers under the tub, loves to bond with the mortar, good catch....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dannywild View Post
            Has anyone ever put 30lb building/roofing paper underneath their tub installs between the bottom of the tub and the subfloor to help cushion the tub, prevent squeaks, and to minimize noises and sound levels in general? Has it been successful or is there something better for this?

What about putting bat insulation around the tub?
            Agree with most of whats been posted. But I don't think I would put bat insulation around the tub. The times I've encountered this condensation/rot developed.

P.S. How ya' doing with your plumber?

J.C.

Comment

Anyone ever just use Great Stuff?
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Seen the "Great Stuff" done with good results. Fill tub with water and don't overspray. Would like to know others opinions as to potential problems.

J.C.

Comment

I did the foam thing recently, on a recommendation from another

I will never do it again. I didn't like the feel. I set 2 tubs last week, both got the mortar and will always get the mortar.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Mortar. I had a boss tell me to foam it and fill the tub, someone came in behind me and drained it and came back the next day to a3/4" gap...no fun.

Greg

Comment

Iprefer plaster of paris, easy cleanup, and is not corrosive.

Comment

I just installed 2 American cast tubs ,and it said specially do not use struct light . I used great stuff . it worked well

Comment

Expanding foam works well also.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by metx View Post
                            I just installed 2 American cast tubs ,and it said specially do not use struct light . I used great stuff . it worked well
                            Kohler specifically directs structolite with their fiberglass tubs? i prefer structolite to mortar though a little lighter than the mortar. I wonder why Am. Std. doent want structolite?

Comment

when i ask the guy at the supply house he said that the chemical in struct lite cause crack in the actual cast

Comment

Working...
                              X