PVC Water Piping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Water Piping

I am looking for a professional opinion on the use of PVC for hot and cold water lines in a residential setting. With the ridiculous amount of copper pipe thievery going on in our area, I was wondering if this is a viable alternative. I realize that next to full copper systems, PEX seems to be the next choice, but even with that, the copper/brass valve system would be an easy target. We have seen houses that are vacant be completely stripped of copper; I looked at one prospective purchase that they had literally ripped the copper lines through the drywall to get it out. If they entered a house and saw PVC piping and valves, they likely would just leave and not cause any damage to the water lines since there would be nothing worth stealing. Does the new formulation of PVC stand up better than older piping? Seems the PVC you see in the stores now is a thick-walled pipe than PVC of the past. Any information on this would be appreciated, pro's (if any) con's, life of the product, etc.

Re: PVC Water Piping

I been useing Rehau pvc piping for hot and cold water services for the last five years and haven`t had a problem.

Tony

Comment

There is no doubt that copper theft is a huge problem. To the degree that we don't carry copper in the tubes on top of the vans anymore. CPVC is certainly a viable alternative to copper. It is quite a bit less expensive and fairly easy to install. I prefer PEX to cpvc though. If you use Uponor pex, the fittings can be plastic and though you may have to use some non copper fittings, they will be brass adaptors.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. My realtor was with me yesterday, and he was telling me one of his clients has two 4 unit buildings, brand new, he put on the market a month ago, and all 8 A/C units have already been stolen. Another client had new central air put into a house he had listed, and the NEXT DAY, it was gone. It's becoming pretty scary stuff. We have a few houses that are slated to be demolished, and one of them has Fe written on the side in large letters, I presume to keep the crack heads from breaking the plywood off of it to get into it for the copper that isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
          Thanks guys. My realtor was with me yesterday, and he was telling me one of his clients has two 4 unit buildings, brand new, he put on the market a month ago, and all 8 A/C units have already been stolen. Another client had new central air put into a house he had listed, and the NEXT DAY, it was gone. It's becoming pretty scary stuff. We have a few houses that are slated to be demolished, and one of them has Fe written on the side in large letters, I presume to keep the crack heads from breaking the plywood off of it to get into it for the copper that isn't there.
          That is bad, Where in the country are you located?

Comment

Most of it is happening in the older areas of Northern KY and Cincinnati. Too many crack heads in too little space I believe. Covington, KY is notorious because there are 2 recycling stores in the city. The crack heads can break in, rip out all of the copper, pass out, then wake up the next morning and walk over to the recyclers and get some money to repeat another day. I am contiually amazed at the level of people I see in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
              Most of it is happening in the older areas of Northern KY and Cincinnati. Too many crack heads in too little space I believe. Covington, KY is no

Dunbar, stop playing games kidding

I would not go cpvc, as recommended, I would use rehaur or uponor wirsbo as an alternative.

Pex was just approved here, so I will have this as an alternative.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

We have been using Flowguard Gold CPVC for about 6 years and have not had a problem with it yet. The only thing you have to watch for when installing is that it will expand at a rate of 1" per 50' on the hot water side so you have to put in expansion loops. It also does not take to well to freezing, meaning it will shatter if it freezes. On the plus side it is easy to install and does not require any special tools (a nice ratchet cutter works wonders with CPVC) and you can find it at almost any home center.
                ________
                TOYOTA 7 SPECIFICATIONS
                Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM.
                Mike

Comment

pvc ok for cold water only! not rated for hot, use cpvc or pex.

Comment

After seeing all terribly installed cpvc that looked like a crazy man installed it with his own 3 hands. I'm sold on the stuff. I rarly fix the stuff except when it freezes. It's cheap and it works my grandparents have had it in there house since the early 1970's. When I first became a plumber I thought it was junk. I was wrong

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. I like way the PEX system is set up if done right, and didn't know until now that there was a non-copper/brass manifold system available for it. I now have some information for when I get bids on the repair, if I win the bid on the house that is!

Comment

Working...
                      X