Pin Holes in PEX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin Holes in PEX

About six months ago we get a call from a client that had a pin hole leak in her PEX water line, we tear the wall open and find a cold 3/4" line bent to a 90 for a manifold tie-in leaking about 2" from the manifold. Figure that some how under stress from the sharp turn it may have weakened the pipe and caused a leak even though the pipe was not kinked. Today we get a call from same client saying she hears water dripping in her ceiling, My Partner goes over cuts ceiling open and low and behold another pin hole in the PEX pipe. This time it is in the middle of a straight run. Has anyone else had a problem like this? The house was built 1998 and has city water. pipe is supported with full rap talons about every 2', no signs of wear on pipe just a small pin hole. I thought that this stuff was to last forever or at least my life time!
    ________
    Unitarian-universalism advice
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM.
    Mike

Re: Pin Holes in PEX

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
    About six months ago we get a call from a client that had a pin hole leak in her PEX water line, we tear the wall open and find a cold 3/4" line bent to a 90 for a manifold tie-in leaking about 2" from the manifold. Figure that some how under stress from the sharp turn it may have weakened the pipe and caused a leak even though the pipe was not kinked. Today we get a call from same client saying she hears water dripping in her ceiling, My Partner goes over cuts ceiling open and low and behold another pin hole in the PEX pipe. This time it is in the middle of a straight run. Has anyone else had a problem like this? The house was built 1998 and has city water. pipe is supported with full rap talons about every 2', no signs of wear on pipe just a small pin hole. I thought that this stuff was to last forever or at least my life time!
    I found a piece of 1/2" Wirsbo in the wall once with a misting pin hole which was almost impossible to see.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Every time I've come across a pin hole it was caused by a sheet rock screw or nail.
      sigpic

Comment

It's a good chance that if the Pex is defective it all came from the same batch. Looks like the whole system is suspect at this point.

Cut the bad sections out and send the samples to the manufacturer. If they have a bad roll out there they might want to know about it.

Comment

Anyway you can tell us what brand pex it is??
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I called my partner up after reading the replys and asked if he was able to tell me the manufacturer of the pipe and he said that he was not able to tell. I am going to have him call and go back over to see if he can get a name off the pipe. After reading plumberscrack comment i looked into some of the PEX suppliers i have used in the past and see that some come with a 25 year warranty. I just have to see what all they cover and and what the homeowner is responsible for.
            ________
            Crossfire
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Wirsbo just paid for a tear out in Wash. state! This is radiant. And this is My familys Buss.
              On another project,there is bubbling on the exterior. They came out and inspected ,and documented. The 1st job was repaired this Month. Don't know the install date. Wasn't their project.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've been working with Pex over 6 years and never had a problem as long as I did'nt miss a ring. A few months ago a customer said he had a pin hole leak I figured it was copper, crawled under the house and it was pex. It was spraying in the middle of a run. looked around and saw another pin hole on a pipe crossing a duct line. When I cut it out and took it outside you could see it was caused by rats, my guess from all the rat bait the customer had under his house they were looking for a drink.

Comment

This is the reason I am investing in pex tools, for all the repairs!!!

and maybe some small re-routes or something.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert ,You made a great point!!!!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

after reading these threads i suddently got a flashback of the polybutylene debacle!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Anyway you can tell us what brand pex it is??
                        The manufacturer of the pipe is Quest.
                        ________
                        ROLLING A JOINT
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                          The manufacturer of the pipe is Quest.

It doesn't meet the requirements for eligibility in the recall

http://www.pbpipe.com/Eligibility/tabid/56/Default.aspx
                          Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-16-2008, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

It doesn't meet the requirements for eligibility in the recall

http://www.pbpipe.com/Eligibility/tabid/56/Default.aspx
                            The pipe is not Polybutylene, it is you everyday run of the mill milky white PEX pipe.
                            ________
                            Sc2 replays
                            Mike

Comment

Quest, we don't have it out here, but from what I have heard, it is bad, bad, bad

Kinda like polybutylene was or in some cases, is still
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X