Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tub faucet construction confusion

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
    Me! I deleted my original post because I wrote about another post in this post. I guess I didnt get enough sleep this weekend
    "One'a these days Alice...."

Comment

I would also put a new stem and barrell seat in. But, if you decided to replace the washer, I would use a regular flat washer as opposed to the bevelled washer it appears you have on the stem. I've found it prevents the brass washer from making firm contact and thus the barrell spins.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

The barrel meaning the seat? (on the far left in the pic)? I did put in a new rubber seat washer, beveled type. That could be what is making the barrel spin? I kinda had to hack it to size with an xacto knife. It was just a little too big for the cup at the end of the stem. But it is obviously thicker (sticks out more from the end of the stem) than the old worn rubber washer I replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by spudtu View Post
          The barrel meaning the seat? (on the far left in the pic)? I did put in a new rubber seat washer, beveled type. That could be what is making the barrel spin? I kinda had to hack it to size with an xacto knife. It was just a little too big for the cup at the end of the stem. But it is obviously thicker (sticks out more from the end of the stem) than the old worn rubber washer I replaced.
          Yes, it's a barrell seat. Just use a regular flat washer. The brass washer you mentioned in your post #8 is the friction washer that rick is speaking of I believe. I think I see it in your photo but it's not real clear.
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I did one of these not to long ago and replaced EVERYTHING and it still leaked a tad. NOW WHAT???

Comment

Because the faucet is old, and non code compliant I believe that I would replace it with a new pressure balanced \ anti scald valve. If there's any doubt as to the reasons for changing it out a short visit to www.watts.com and a quick viwing of the Danger Scalding Lurks video should be enough to change your mind. Un-tempered water in a shower or bath is nothing to play around with.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Because the faucet is old, and non code compliant I believe that I would replace it with a new pressure balanced \ anti scald valve. If there's any doubt as to the reasons for changing it out a short visit to www.watts.com and a quick viwing of the Danger Scalding Lurks video should be enough to change your mind. Un-tempered water in a shower or bath is nothing to play around with.
                In a day and age where a woman could sue McDonalds for dropping her own coffee on her lap, because McDonalds brewed her a hot coffee...I could see Harry homeowner cranking the temp on his 30 gal w/h, then trying to sue me for not replacing his 3 handle on a service call after his neighbors 3 yr old plays with the tub and gets scalded.
                It's a long shot, but I at least recommend it when I see them, and they're all over the place here.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  In a day and age where a woman could sue McDonalds for dropping her own coffee on her lap, because McDonalds brewed her a hot coffee...
                  But look at the good that came from it. . . .hot coffee is now marked "Caution: contents may be hot"
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

In spanish too.
                    sigpic

Comment

"changed everything..."

Add another brass friction ring above the barrel so it pushes down harder against the body of the faucet. Check the O-ring on the barrel for damage while you have it apart.

Comment

Working...
                      X