X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure valve leak

The brass pressure relief valve on a new BW water heater install has a persistent leak. I have tried two attempts to stop the leak: 1) double wrap of teflon and 2) joint compound alone. Any suggestions?

Re: Pressure valve leak

This is a warranty issue; have an authorized rep come out and diagnose the problem.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
      This is a warranty issue; have an authorized rep come out and diagnose the problem.
      I'm wondering how that works if it wasn't installed by a plumber...?

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        I am glad the leak did not end up being a warranty problem! It would have been extra practice at soldering. I was concerned that the heater had an internal crack at the fitting. The leak was on my third BW water heater install this month. I'm not sure what the problem was but about 3 wraps of teflon on the threads and careful insertion has stopped the leak for the past 24 hours. I have not heard anything from the tenants.
        I was hoping something was on the market that was a bit better than regular joint compound because the first two water heaters did not have the same problem with regular joint compound.

Comment

are you putting the heaters in your self

and you have your Occupation: as a Professional
          professional what
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            are you putting the heaters in your self

and you have your Occupation: as a Professional
            professional what
            I'm guessing not plumber
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
              I'm guessing not plumber
              Great guess since I am asking questions in the right thread but I am working with a "semi-retired" plumber and picking up some of his old fashioned methods during this remodeling job we got. He was as frustrated as I was with how water heaters seem to be constructed these days despite all the safety and efficiency features available. The brass relief valve became my "personal problem" when it started to drip at 2am and I got the call from the tenant. I guess I can say I am also "semi-retired" and now specialize in re-habbing HUD homes or better and flippin them. Thanks for asking...
              Last edited by reConx; 05-21-2008, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                I'm wondering how that works if it wasn't installed by a plumber...?

For the most part, the product mfg. cannot discriminate, especially if local codes allow the ability for homeowners to install the device themselves.....which is a whole nother topic of discussion given the seriousness of how dangerous a water heater truly is.

IF the authorized rep can see that either the gas valve has been disassembled or the FVIR assembly has been modified or altered to operate without safety features, the rep can void the warranty of the heater on the spot.

If it is installed against local codes, it can void the warranty OR the rep can refuse to make repairs until the heater is brought up to code.

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                I am glad the leak did not end up being a warranty problem! It would have been extra practice at soldering. I was concerned that the heater had an internal crack at the fitting. The leak was on my third BW water heater install this month. I'm not sure what the problem was but about 3 wraps of teflon on the threads and careful insertion has stopped the leak for the past 24 hours. I have not heard anything from the tenants.
                I was hoping something was on the market that was a bit better than regular joint compound because the first two water heaters did not have the same problem with regular joint compound.

A trip from the authorized rep with the above problem would of landed you with a service charge at your cost.

What's the static water pressure in the building?

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                Great guess since I am asking questions in the right thread but I am working with a "semi-retired" plumber and picking up some of his old fashioned methods during this remodeling job we got. He was as frustrated as I was with how water heaters seem to be constructed these days despite all the safety and efficiency features available. The brass relief valve became my "personal problem" when it started to drip at 2am and I got the call from the tenant. I guess I can say I am also "semi-retired" and now specialize in re-habbing HUD homes or better and flippin them. Thanks for asking...
                Of course it did; read my question to your first reply.

Here's a guess, and I'm bet I'm right.....but
                • You didn't check the water pressure to the building before replacing the water heater
                • The water heater coming out if it was a leaker, had everything to do with why it came out >>>> high water pressure
                • If not, the TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE that leaked @ 2am is a tell tale sign of water pressure climbing at night because less users of the water means more volume which equals higher static water pressure.
                • The last one didn't leak *T&P* because it was clogged shut
                I don't care if I'm right or not.....but I'll tell you that 90% of the time the above situation plays out to a tee given people who aren't trained to understand water pressure and the cause and effects of high water pressure go to the wayside and ignore these common symptoms.

It's then a personal choice to correct the problem with a PRV & Expansion Tank to correct the problem so the pressure stays at one safe setting.

But that involves costs, costs the majority of property owners scoff at.

Water heaters are intentionally built to keep someone in a distribution line employed........it's that simple.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

dunbar, from the way i read his original post, it's not thermal expansion. it's an issue with the mip thread into the fip fitting of the tank.

i've had the same thing with gas valves, hose bibbs and factory installed nipples.

just a heads up as it's not a fault of the installation or installer.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    dunbar, from the way i read his original post, it's not thermal expansion. it's an issue with the mip thread into the fip fitting of the tank.

i've had the same thing with gas valves, hose bibbs and factory installed nipples.

just a heads up as it's not a fault of the installation or installer.

rick.
                    Are you sure? I took it as the pipe he is installing into the T&P is leaking. Otherwise why would he be using pipe compound?

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Guys, first thanks for your inputs and concerns about water heater safety. They are solid concerns for the typical DIYers despite the availability of units from all HD/Lowes. For example after discussing products on this forum no EZ pipes were used only soldered pipes/joints. The rusty water heaters were about 13 years old and leaking because of the holes and not the water pressure. Overall they were direct replacements that required a little modification because any installation over time will need modification of exhaust, copper pipes and gas lines. Second, I have a building permit and the inspector has approved the installations which I had to delay for a day until the "minor" pressure relief valve drip was resolved. Rick was definitely on the mark about my problem and DUNBAR was definitely going over my head for now. Maybe one day it will make sense to me, I hope....

[quote=DUNBAR;144733]For the most part, the product mfg. cannot discriminate, especially if local codes allow the ability for homeowners to install the device themselves.....which is a whole nother topic of discussion given the seriousness of how dangerous a water heater truly is.
                      Last edited by reConx; 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                      X