X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher Drain, No Disposal

I am doing a new dishwasher install during a remodel of a 40 year old kitchen and I have encountered a problem in dealing with the drain for the dishwasher.

I want to hook up the drain hose to the neighboring drain of my two tub sink. Most of the instructions that I have seen have been for hooking it up with a disposal, which I do not have. The alternative that I have seen is using a wye tailpiece on the sink, which unfortunately appears impossible because it requires a greater distance between the bottom of the sink and the trap than I have on my setup.

Is there another way? What about a T that has a branch for the drain hose (if those are made?
    Or could I somehow rig the wye in the horizontal part of the drain that runs between the tubs?

I have attached a basic diagram of the sink setup.
    Attached Files

Re: Dishwasher Drain, No Disposal

Must call Plumber. You'll make more money programming and paying the plumber rather than you working on it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Must call Plumber. You'll make more money programming and paying the plumber rather than you working on it.

J.C.
      That assumes that if he works more, he gets paid more!

Comment

Just go with a dishwasher tail on one side and then drop that into a tee and have a standard tail piece on the other side

Like so:

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          That assumes that if he works more, he gets paid more!
          Maybe I need to work on my English skills. Your statement brainteases me. But I do see alot of people that would make the same or come out ahead if they would just call a professional. I would be better off letting you repair my computer while I put in a water heater.
          I could probably repair a computer, but you would know the 2 details that were wrong in the books, forums, websites to get it done right that I would miss.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Maybe I need to work on my English skills. Your statement brainteases me. But I do see alot of people that would make the same or come out ahead if they would just call a professional. I would be better off letting you repair my computer while I put in a water heater.
            I could probably repair a computer, but you would know the 2 details that were wrong in the books, forums, websites to get it done right that I would miss.
            What I mean that is most programmers are on a salary. If I work 40 or 80 hours, my paycheck is the same (at least in the short term, long term the extra effort could cause faster raises, promotions etc.). Therefore, I can't make the trade of working an extra hour to get more money and paying someone else to do something I'm not as good.

Also, in the long term if I work too much, at least personally, I burn out. I've done it twice where pretty much I worked 7 days a week for 2 years. The first time I quit, the second time I told my boss that I'm only working 40 hours a week from now on. Current job, I don't always work 40 hours, but never get past 60. A wife and kids help keeping things in balance.

Comment

Fair enough. I think most plumbers would go "Office Spacey" having your occupation. If you think about it, I guess you working on your plumbing is keeping you a little more sane.

J.C.

Comment

What I mean that is most programmers are on a salary. If I work 40 or 80 hours, my paycheck is the same (at least in the short term, long term the extra effort could cause faster raises, promotions etc.). Therefore, I can't make the trade of working an extra hour to get more money and paying someone else to do something I'm not as good.

Also, in the long term if I work too much, at least personally, I burn out. I've done it twice where pretty much I worked 7 days a week for 2 years. The first time I quit, the second time I told my boss that I'm only working 40 hours a week from now on. Current job, I don't always work 40 hours, but never get past 60. A wife and kids help keeping things in balance.
                I always programmed "Freelance" .....It always gave me room to flex my creativity muscles , compared to corporate world which is all full off political BS when you bring an idea to the table.

Anyhow - Just my thoughts ,
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

You could install a double wye with a clean out and use 2 traps and then you would also be able to use the dishwasher tail piece.

Comment

Let me tell you the easy way to install this dishwasher fitting. There is a fitting that has a tubular slip joint connection on one end, as opposed to the tailpiece connection that you are speaking about. Just insert this into the horizontal branch on the end outlet waste and cut the pipe from the sink with the elbow outlet a little shorter.
                    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Let me tell you the easy way to install this dishwasher fitting. There is a fitting that has a tubular slip joint connection on one end, as opposed to the tailpiece connection that you are speaking about. Just insert this into the horizontal branch on the end outlet waste and cut the pipe from the sink with the elbow outlet a little shorter.
                      Oh yea, That is a easy way for sure

Good call

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                        You could install a double wye with a clean out and use 2 traps and then you would also be able to use the dishwasher tail piece.
                        Are you allowed two traps on a single trap arm where you are?

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by layyze View Post
                          I am doing a new dishwasher install during a remodel of a 40 year old kitchen and I have encountered a problem in dealing with the drain for the dishwasher.

I want to hook up the drain hose to the neighboring drain of my two tub sink. Most of the instructions that I have seen have been for hooking it up with a disposal, which I do not have. The alternative that I have seen is using a wye tailpiece on the sink, which unfortunately appears impossible because it requires a greater distance between the bottom of the sink and the trap than I have on my setup.

Is there another way? What about a T that has a branch for the drain hose (if those are made?
                          Or could I somehow rig the wye in the horizontal part of the drain that runs between the tubs?

I have attached a basic diagram of the sink setup.
                          Why can't you just install a disposal and connect it there?

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                            I always programmed "Freelance" .....It always gave me room to flex my creativity muscles , compared to corporate world which is all full off political BS when you bring an idea to the table.

Anyhow - Just my thoughts ,
                            I did a bit of freelance for a while, but at least right now I like the the stability of a large company and regular paycheck. I have friends who own their own companies though.

I think that you'll find the same division in plumbers. I think it is probably like some guys will work for a big shop, and other guys want to be out on their own. If your out on your own you've gotta worry about advertising, accounting, and a bunch of stuff that you wouldn't need to worry about if you work for the large company. Then again, you don't need to worry about getting laid off.

I've got a pretty good job though, because I can work from home, have a relatively flexible schedule, and help dictate our agenda for the goals that we pursue each year.

Comment

I did a bit of freelance for a while, but at least right now I like the the stability of a large company and regular paycheck. I have friends who own their own companies though.

I think that you'll find the same division in plumbers. I think it is probably like some guys will work for a big shop, and other guys want to be out on their own. If your out on your own you've gotta worry about advertising, accounting, and a bunch of stuff that you wouldn't need to worry about if you work for the large company. Then again, you don't need to worry about getting laid off.

I've got a pretty good job though, because I can work from home, have a relatively flexible schedule, and help dictate our agenda for the goals that we pursue each year.
                              Right On,

I did the corporate scene back in the 90's , for like 2 years and after that I have been just doing my own thing, sure there are highs and lows and I am not the smartest guy, but I would argue for sure that I am one of the happiest guys and I think to me that matters most,

But yea, a steady paycheck when you can work from home, is certainly a great way to make a living , I will give ou that for sure,

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                              X