Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about copper/CPVC union

Hello all,

I'm installing a spin-down filter off my 1" copper cold-water line. The filter body is 1" CPVC, and I want to use unions so I can disassemble the set-up for maintenance, access to the pressure tank, etc.

So, here's my question:

Can I take a brass/copper 1" union, toss out the brass MIPT, and marry the brass FIPT to a CPVC MIPT?

I'm aware that, per code, it's not wise to do the converse.

My concern has more to do with expansion of dissimilar materials.

Thanks much.

Re: Question about copper/CPVC union

Your asking if you can use a copper female adapter, with a cpvc male adapter?

If so, yes.

Make sure to use a all brass, or at least a brass threaded male adapter.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I STRONGLY advise not to.
      On high pressure water I will never use a plastic thread...I've seen what happens on DIY projects done with Home Depot CPVC stock.
      The threads are far too weak to take the torque if you so much as overtighten a little...not enough and same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        I STRONGLY advise not to.
        On high pressure water I will never use a plastic thread...I've seen what happens on DIY projects done with Home Depot CPVC stock.
        The threads are far too weak to take the torque if you so much as overtighten a little...not enough and same thing.
        Thanks for the heads-up... what would you recommend instead?

We're looking at @ < 60 PSI on the water line. For 1" copper, there don't seem to be very many options. Someone had mentioned using a sharkbite fitting, but I'm not a fan of compression fittings in general.

One additional bit of information for completeness: the spin-down filter is CPVC, and is a slip (not threaded) connection. So, I need to go from slip CPVC to copper, and as I mentioned initially, I prefer to go the route of a union, as I will likely need to disassemble the unit (on rare occasion).

Thanks much.

Comment

Duck, whats wrong with my idea?

It's metal to metal threads.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            Duck, whats wrong with my idea?

It's metal to metal threads.
            No, he was asking about connecting metal threads to CPVC threads...if you've never tried it...don't.
            Even if they seem fine, they'll leak later.
            I think you're thinking of the conventional threaded brass to CPVC hub adapters, those are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              No, he was asking about connecting metal threads to CPVC threads...if you've never tried it...don't.
              Even if they seem fine, they'll leak later.
              I think you're thinking of the conventional threaded brass to CPVC hub adapters, those are fine.
              Ahhh... I see the subtlety now: metal-to-metal thread contact is what you're suggesting.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/1-Union-Slip-B.../dp/B000I1EDPO

Definitely a pricey solution, but it might just solve my problem.

Comment

I know what many of the other guys on here are going to say. However, in this example I would use a Qest coupling. It's not often you'll hear me say that, but because you need to transition from one type of piping to another with the capability to easily disconnect that is what I would recommend.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by richbl View Post
                  Ahhh... I see the subtlety now: metal-to-metal thread contact is what you're suggesting.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/1-Union-Slip-B.../dp/B000I1EDPO

Definitely a pricey solution, but it might just solve my problem.
                  Apologies, not a big fan of DIYing...shouldn't have jumped into this in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                  X