X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slow Leak in Middle of Copper Pipe

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
    Excellent point and glad you mentioned that ,

CPW , if you wanted to do it the super right way you could just replace as much of the exposed pipe as you can from end to end,

As NHMaster says , the whole section of the pipe could be pitted or getting thin, and this way you don't have to look for the leak if you just replace the major section of the run.

**As a bonus if your real good with a torch you could un-sweat the fitting on each side of that run if pipe as well and just replace the section with the exact fitting structure that was there , meaning you won't be adding extra fittings with the repair , like the couplings we mention above.

I think I made sense,

Hope this helps
    The constant pinholes is a scary prospect. If it were just replacing the section, I would do it myself, but the more important part here seems to be trying to diagnose the root cause; which a pro is going to be able to do way better than me, even with all of your help. I've called wrench spinner and he'll be coming by to fix it.

I guess a reasonable consolation is that I had other parts of the ceiling torn up anyway for my wiring project. If I had to tear it up just for this, it would have been a much bigger deal.

Comment

Pin holeing is usually caused by a high or low ph condition so you should check that first.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I don't believe I would condemn the entire copper system until he removes the one piece and determines what the failure was.

Mark
        Looks like its time for a PEX repipe.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
          Just curious, is PEX allowed in NY?

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            No, No its Not ,

Replacing a pex over copper is like trading in your Mercedes for a ford....

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            Just curious, is PEX allowed in NY?
            Yes, now it is , Years ago is was only allowed in southern states ..

Replace with copper , Pex is crap

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I don't believe I would condemn the entire copper system until he removes the one piece and determines what the failure was.

Mark
              100% correct

guys, it's his first leak in a system with hundreds of joints and hundreds of feet of copper.

cut out a small section and have someone knowledgeable look inside to determine the cause.

nobody has asked the obvious

do you have a circulating pump on the hot water system?

if so, there will be pitting associated with this leak and around this area.

most circ. leaks tend to be around changes of direction/ fittings.

also i would look for a green blob inside the copper. believe it or not, flux from the soldering process can sit in the pipe and not wash away. it will slowly continue to etch into the copper.

you really need to assess the pipe and the system. 1 pin hole might be all you ever get. or it's a sign of things to come

rick.
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-25-2008, 10:41 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                100% correct

guys, it's his first leak in a system with hundreds of joints and hundreds of feet of copper.

cut out a small section and have someone knowledgeable look inside to determine the cause.

nobody has asked the obvious

do you have a circulating pump on the hot water system?

if so, there will be pitting associated with this leak and around this area.

most circ. leaks tend to be around changes of direction/ fittings.

also i would look for a green blob inside the copper. believe it or not, flux from the soldering process can sit in the pipe and not wash away. it will slowly continue to etch into the copper.

you really need to assess the pipe and the system. 1 pin hole might be all you ever get. or it's a sign of things to come

rick.
                That's why I told him to cut the one section out and then report to us. If it's velocity erosion the pin hole will have a horse shoe shaped area leading up to it and a shinning section. If there is no patina it could be a water chemistry problem.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

For those interested in the resolution, wrench spinner came by and replaced a 10" section of the pipe starting at a tee and cutting out a 6" portion around the leak. There was some buildup in the pipe, some of it greenish from flux maybe some other minerals. He said not to worry about it, the pipe wall is still as thick as it is supposed to be. I tested the pH over the weekend and it is fine at 6.8. wrench spinner also tested the pressure after the PRV, which was fine (50#) and is sending a water sample to a lab to see if there are any problems with the town water coming in.

Equally as important, there is no leak and I can go get some cull sheetrock and patch up the ceiling.

Comment

For those interested in the resolution, wrench spinner came by and replaced a 10" section of the pipe starting at a tee and cutting out a 6" portion around the leak. There was some buildup in the pipe, some of it greenish from flux maybe some other minerals. He said not to worry about it, the pipe wall is still as thick as it is supposed to be. I tested the pH over the weekend and it is fine at 6.8. wrench spinner also tested the pressure after the PRV, which was fine (50#) and is sending a water sample to a lab to see if there are any problems with the town water coming in.

Equally as important, there is no leak and I can go get some cull sheetrock and patch up the ceiling.
                    Good job to both of you and thanks for the update.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thank Goodness!!! I thought this was getting beaten to death too. Glad you got things working.

Wish you all the luck with anything DIY. And we (the plumbers) will be seeking alot of computer advice as well. Cool?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Wish you all the luck with anything DIY. And we (the plumbers) will be seeking alot of computer advice as well. Cool?
                        Thanks, and that's a fair deal. I've got no problem answering any PHP, MySQL, or any other Network Server/Programming question.

Comment

Thanks, and that's a fair deal. I've got no problem answering any PHP, MySQL, or any other Network Server/Programming question.
                          did you see where i need your help buying a laptop? Tag, your it.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I just went crosseyed.

Might need you to keep me from beating my printer with the PipeWrench though.

Stick around.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                            X