Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water heaters in jeopardy?

Yes and no

I believe the Big Box stores attract both the cheap DIYers who will find the cheapest way to do and the DIYers who feel enabled by the Big Box store and buys all of the silly gimmick items available at the stores.

For the record I really feel the Big Box stores are a plus for the Trades person because more people are doing home improvements now than ever before. If they buy the parts and we install them we don't warranty anything but our labor. If they install it themselves we repair it and warranty nothing.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

How about bricks?
      sigpic

Comment

With bricks, and 1-1/2" pvc couplings why bother with such a product?

Hairy Home Owners that go to Home Depot to buy a water heater are cheap, that's why they're there to begin with. I doubt they're going to be looking for accessories which they probably think of as added costs to their purchase.

Also I doubt many drip pans are sold at Home Depot either. If they are, I'm sure they're installed wrong in some way, and your product wouldn't help in that case.

Hairy Home Owners/Handy Men are looking to get in and out.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          How about bricks?
          Was gonna say it, but didn't wanna get nailed be being oversimplistic.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Yes and no

I believe the Big Box stores attract both the cheap DIYers who will find the cheapest way to do and the DIYers who feel enabled by the Big Box store and buys all of the silly gimmick items available at the stores.

For the record I really feel the Big Box stores are a plus for the Trades person because more people are doing home improvements now than ever before. If they buy the parts and we install them we don't warranty anything but our labor. If they install it themselves we repair it and warranty nothing.

Mark
            I agree with all but the bold, HD is a magnet for unlicensed hacks, because the HD guy will walk them through anything they don't know how to do. (chuckle)

I all but had a screaming match once, as I was interupted by a handyman while talking to a HD employee (licensed plumber) about how I don't trust the Sharkbites they sell.
            The handymans argument was how convenient it is to charge to do plumbing work, despite not knowing how to solder too well.

They offer installation services through licensed/insured subs, but the prices they pay for the subs is lower than market...that makes me uncomfy to see them use their power to not only sell to DIY's, but get their hands into the local professional market as well.

I think HERK has alot to offer on this topic from experience.

I'll confess (and pay in the afterlife) to going there in the off hours when suppliers are closed.
            To a degree, I'm sure you're right about some benefits to the trades, but not in the big picture...not when harry homeowner can get a freebie tutorial on how to do the plumbing/electrical while he's there getting the tiles for the bath remodel.
            Just too tempting to look at the work as simple & decide to do your own work when you're looking at seemingly expensive estimates.

Comment

You know Herk?

Comment

Originally posted by W/H watcher View Post
                Plese give me your opinion on this, any who would like to -- If there were a simple, easy to use product that was no more than a inch high that lifed the water heater up and at the same time leveled the water heater, was reasonably priced, would there be a market for it?

Thank you, Chris

I would consider anything that helped me do a better job. I use plastic shims on toilets, if I had to use something on a water heater it would be nice to have something made for the job (I think a brick or an 1-1/2 pvc coupling would be way to thick). But, pans are supposed to be level anyway. Any meaningful raising of the water heater will bring it too close to the rafters or alter the vent pipe as the new fivrs already do.

I advice to you would be, if you are going to market something, put it on a plumbing supply house counter for a couple of months and see the reaction. Or sell it in the back of P & M mag.
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  I agree with all but the bold, HD is a magnet for unlicensed hacks, because the HD guy will walk them through anything they don't know how to do. (chuckle)

I all but had a screaming match once, as I was interupted by a handyman while talking to a HD employee (licensed plumber) about how I don't trust the Sharkbites they sell.
                  The handymans argument was how convenient it is to charge to do plumbing work, despite not knowing how to solder too well.

They offer installation services through licensed/insured subs, but the prices they pay for the subs is lower than market...that makes me uncomfy to see them use their power to not only sell to DIY's, but get their hands into the local professional market as well.

I think HERK has alot to offer on this topic from experience.

I'll confess (and pay in the afterlife) to going there in the off hours when suppliers are closed.
                  To a degree, I'm sure you're right about some benefits to the trades, but not in the big picture...not when harry homeowner can get a freebie tutorial on how to do the plumbing/electrical while he's there getting the tiles for the bath remodel.
                  Just too tempting to look at the work as simple & decide to do your own work when you're looking at seemingly expensive estimates.
                  I guess it all depends on personal experience. When our first HD was opened we were worried about losing work. Instead our residential service went up 35%.

Mark

Comment

i don't worry about home depot taking work.

i don't typically take any jobs from the local hardware store that refers me. not interested in people that are desperate.

keep in mind, i have to compete against hundreds of licensed plumbing contractors in my little are i work. there is plenty of work to go around for all of us. i can't possibly do more than what i'm already doing.

the market is only so big. find your nitch and prosper.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I guess it all depends on personal experience. When our first HD was opened we were worried about losing work. Instead our residential service went up 35%.

Mark
                      Much is probably attributed to the fairly recent HGTV/DIY/FLIP craze...so far it seems like that may be dying off as homeowners, hobbiests and handymen discover plumbing isn't just a bunch of simple pipes.
                      Deviant note...maybe you guys got busy fixing all the scewups from HD diyer's..

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

Deviant note...maybe you guys got busy fixing all the scewups from HD diyer's..
                        That was my point.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I know this is not approved, but it's also not required. You can put a water heater on bricks/brick pavers to eliminate this. Any leaks or T&P still goes in the pan. Obviously you want to ensure stability. Cheap, fireproof. No need for a new invention with ASTM/ASME stamps on it for us to keep track of.

J.C.
                          Brick paver. About an inch thick. Done.

The only problem I have with a Lowes/HD is that they can lead people to believe that tradespeople are too expensive without knowing our true cost of business and what we really get to keep.

Wait a minute. Did I just quote myself? Got any meds to share Mark?

J.C.

Comment

That was my point.

Mark
                            Intentional or not, THAT was funny.

Comment

Chris,
                              The drip pan should be on a level surface to begin with, so it would not be necessary to level the w/h. I've seen w/h's in drip pans that you could not attach a hose to because the walls of the drip pan were too close to the hose bib, too small of a drip pan.You can use a larger drip pan if you have room, turn the hose bib on its side, or raise the water heater on a nonpourous platform.

They are not referring to "our" Herk, there is another Herk in Idaho, I thought the same thing when I first got on the forum.

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll like it here....Lots of knowledge here.
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Rick,

Small world, especially the internet world with the zillions of contacts available on it. The key word in your comment is, "should." What should be and what is, is often two different things. I suppose this isn't much different everywhere.

You're right; there is a lot of knowledge here. It’s been a good experience.

Thanks for you input, Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X