X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water heaters in jeopardy?

I know, the things I see up here, and I'm sure you've seen some too, thats why I carry my digital camera with me. I had a call yesterday, no hot water, installed by a local (licensed), 40 gallon elec w/h in crawl space sitting in dirt and surrounded with ducting so you can't get it out. Fortunately, all I had to do is hit the reset button to get it going, but, warned the homeowner that it will be a problem in the future.

Have you had many calls on the Whirlpool Flame Guard water heaters?, there's another nightmare these days.
    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
      I know, the things I see up here, and I'm sure you've seen some too, thats why I carry my digital camera with me. I had a call yesterday, no hot water, installed by a local (licensed), 40 gallon elec w/h in crawl space sitting in dirt and surrounded with ducting so you can't get it out. Fortunately, all I had to do is hit the reset button to get it going, but, warned the homeowner that it will be a problem in the future.

Have you had many calls on the Whirlpool Flame Guard water heaters?, there's another nightmare these days.
      Rick,

I have also taken pictures. Did a Wpl last week, defective control, about a year old.

Your account of the water heater sitting in dirt trapped by ducting is a good example of what should not be but unfortunately is. Sometimes it's as though the contractor (house builder) gets the house just about done and then realizes that he forgot to put a w/h and a furnace in the place and then just crams them where ever. In a perfect world every house would have a nice level well ventilated mechanical room for these heavily depended upon appliances.

And, as you have eluted to, a license does not mean a proper job.

Chris

Comment

You are aware of the class action lawsuit on the whirlpool w/h's aren't you. I don't warranty any work on these, but I do print off a copy of the lawsuit off of the computer and give it to the homeowner
        The Other Rick

Comment

Your right on older houses. Maybe you'll believe this dependent on the junk you've seen-in my own house (old) they built the house around the water heater in the crawlspace. That's the only thing I can figure. I measured EVERYWHERE vs. the water heater and it will not fit through the crawlspace door. Even with the door and frame removed. I triple checked before I sawed the damn thing up with the sawzall.

On new houses, they enforce pretty hard on clear removal path along with it sitting on a concrete pad, clearance around it, and t&p indirectly through the foundation.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
            You are aware of the class action lawsuit on the whirlpool w/h's aren't you. I don't warranty any work on these, but I do print off a copy of the lawsuit off of the computer and give it to the homeowner
            Got a link?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Got a link?
              I'm still figuring out how to post pics, but if you goggle whirlpool flame guard its all there
              The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Your right on older houses. Maybe you'll believe this dependent on the junk you've seen-in my own house (old) they built the house around the water heater in the crawlspace. That's the only thing I can figure. I measured EVERYWHERE vs. the water heater and it will not fit through the crawlspace door. Even with the door and frame removed. I triple checked before I sawed the damn thing up with the sawzall.

On new houses, they enforce pretty hard on clear removal path along with it sitting on a concrete pad, clearance around it, and t&p indirectly through the foundation.

J.C.
                I was on a w/h switch out in a crawlspace once and there were four (4) dead w/h's cast aside still under there. I removed the one I was replacing. Some people are just too lazy
                The Other Rick

Comment

Bowen, et al. v. Whirlpool Corp., et al. Settlement Website

Comment

Sweet. Thanks Duck. 007 of the Forum.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by W/H watcher View Post
                      ...If there were a simple, easy to use product that was no more than a inch high that lifed the water heater up and at the same time leveled the water heater, was reasonably priced, would there be a market for it?...
                      Well someone "fixed" the water heater in the old house I bought. They did not install a drip pan.

Plus the previous water heater had leaked for quite sometime and rotted out the floor. Well they "fixed" that too - with the wrong thickness plywood. Problem is vital support members to the house were also rotted and they did not fix this problem. Basically there was a major support post which was left with no support.

In the same house I found an electrical junction box with a cardboard cover! How much does a metal box cover cost? 25 cents? Then there was the added outlet in a plywood wall with no electrical box and lamp cord used to wire it, etc., etc, etc. (I love this house because I have an endless supply of projects and got it quite cheap due to these problems.)

Anyway that is the way people do things. They don't understand why they should do something to code or why codes are there in the first place.

A farmer I know wanted me to run electricity to one of his barns. I said I would only do it right, do it to code, etc. He insisted I do it "his way" (on the cheap). I said "No way!" This same farmer mentioned to me that he frequently got shocked from the wiring at another barn he had. I wonder why?

Bottom line, before they will fork out the cash, many people need a long lecture on why things should be done to code. But even then they will fight installing anything which costs extra money.

"Just get it working, I don't care about that!"

This product should be require by code (at least so the drain valve can be easily accessed). Then the pros will buy it. That is your market.

Comment

This is reminicient if this thread.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=water+heaters
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Billy_Bob View Post
                          Well someone "fixed" the water heater in the old house I bought. They did not install a drip pan.

Plus the previous water heater had leaked for quite sometime and rotted out the floor. Well they "fixed" that too - with the wrong thickness plywood. Problem is vital support members to the house were also rotted and they did not fix this problem. Basically there was a major support post which was left with no support.

In the same house I found an electrical junction box with a cardboard cover! How much does a metal box cover cost? 25 cents? Then there was the added outlet in a plywood wall with no electrical box and lamp cord used to wire it, etc., etc, etc. (I love this house because I have an endless supply of projects and got it quite cheap due to these problems.)

Anyway that is the way people do things. They don't understand why they should do something to code or why codes are there in the first place.

A farmer I know wanted me to run electricity to one of his barns. I said I would only do it right, do it to code, etc. He insisted I do it "his way" (on the cheap). I said "No way!" This same farmer mentioned to me that he frequently got shocked from the wiring at another barn he had. I wonder why?

Bottom line, before they will fork out the cash, many people need a long lecture on why things should be done to code. But even then they will fight installing anything which costs extra money.

"Just get it working, I don't care about that!"

This product should be require by code (at least so the drain valve can be easily accessed). Then the pros will buy it. That is your market.
                          Billy,

I agree the product should be required by code, but if I live the average life time I've only got about twenty years left. Know anything about getting a code enacted, in place, created -- whatever you call it. I talked to a guy in Texas about this some time back and he said it could be done, just takes money. There is probably some other way to do it ones self?

Chris

Comment

It really is a numbers game. Unlike the service guys I go out and inspect homes where I have not necessarily be asked to come out because of a leaking water heater. A rough estimate of what I see is maybe one in a thousand water heaters which has caused enough damage that a repair would be necessary. The repair is generally limited to less than $1,000.

Now consider the cost of installing a drip pan and drain line on each of those homes. At $250 a piece it would cost $250,000 to prevent $1,000 in damage. While some may be excited to install a pan which is not required I doubt everyone would see the need for the added cost.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              It really is a numbers game. Unlike the service guys I go out and inspect homes where I have not necessarily be asked to come out because of a leaking water heater. A rough estimate of what I see is maybe one in a thousand water heaters which has caused enough damage that a repair would be necessary. The repair is generally limited to less than $1,000.

Now consider the cost of installing a drip pan and drain line on each of those homes. At $250 a piece it would cost $250,000 to prevent $1,000 in damage. While some may be excited to install a pan which is not required I doubt everyone would see the need for the added cost.

Mark
                              Exactly, thats why I say his only foot in the door is code enforcement...and I just don't think this is a big enough thing to get their attention.
                              Tack to that the fact that MFG's would simply start making them with legs again if code required it rather than have to spend more for a custom device like this.
                              HATE to be the rain on any parade, but REALLY HATE to see someone get waxed by corporate politics or red tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy_Bob View Post
                                ..... Anyway that is the way people do things. They don't understand why they should do something to code or why codes are there in the first place.

"Just get it working, I don't care about that!" .....
                                Add to the fact that if you don't, they'll continue to seek someone who will.
                                Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing any good by turning a blind eye and not reporting these folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X