X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slope on vent piping

what slope do you all put on your vent system- the same as required on your waste or all 1/8"

Re: slope on vent piping

Originally posted by tomplumb View Post
    what slope do you all put on your vent system- the same as required on your waste or all 1/8"
    It just depends on that particular installation. As long as you break bubble on the level you'll be ok

Comment

Originally posted by tomplumb View Post
      Because of the design of vent fittings and certain Codes vents should be installed level (UPC) or with a slight grade (UPC & IPC)to drain. At a 1/4" per foot your pipe may not fit square into the fitting socket.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Code requires 1/4" per foot unless structural conditions prevent it.

All vents ran horizontaly less than 6" above flood rim shall have 1/4" per foot no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Code requires 1/4" per foot unless structural conditions prevent it.

All vents ran horizontaly less than 6" above flood rim shall have 1/4" per foot no matter what.
          UPC section 905.1 & 905.3 is where you should be looking for Code references for this.

Mark

Comment

true, code does allow for a flat vent, 6'' above the overflow level.

but i can tell you from experience that a flat vent retains enough water to create a very rusty (no hub) scenario.

there are some buildings that i jet on a regular basis from the roof. 90% of the vents are vertical. the vents that are offset below the sun deck are either flat or reverse. what a mess when i jet as the water comes back all rusty onto the roof.

a little bit of slope would be nice

also for you ruff guys.
            please, please on multi-level buildings, please stack the top re-vent connection, so that the straight run is over the top floor waste and the offset tee/ 90 / wye and 45 is over the lower floors

think about it. if you had to jet or snake from the roof, if the top floor is a straight shot to the roof, then you will be able to jet/ snake the waste stack all the way to the ground. otherwise you will be jetting/ snaking the vent all the way to the lowest floor.

i wish this was a requirement and not just good layout and design.

thanks, ruff guys. us service guys appreciate it

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              UPC section 905.1 & 905.3 is where you should be looking for Code references for this.

Mark
              I was arguing with inspectors,company owners,plumbers, apprentices about this since the eighties.I have been getting them to see what you just posted.In L.A. There was no way I could get the chief plumbing inspector to approve my system with a flat vent unless I was bound by a structural condition.

I've made thousands upon thousands of dollars running vents flat to save time.I understand your point,I've been having fun with this for decades.But If you want to argue with an inspector at this level/stage....Go for it.

If I can I put 1/4" on it.I don't have the resources to get into it with these guys.

Sorry Mark

Comment

I agree there should be some grade to drain on a vent but a level vent is legal under the UPC.

Mark

Comment

I was arguing with inspectors,company owners,plumbers, apprentices about this since the eighties.I have been getting them to see what you just posted.In L.A. There was no way I could get the chief plumbing inspector to approve my system with a flat vent unless I was bound by a structural condition.

I've made thousands upon thousands of dollars running vents flat to save time.I understand your point,I've been having fun with this for decades.But If you want to argue with an inspector at this level/stage....Go for it.

If I can I put 1/4" on it.I don't have the resources to get into it with these guys.

Sorry Mark
                  Not a problem Adam as you need to install them to where you can get off of the job. However, with your trusted UPC Code book in your truck you can refer them to UPC Section 905.1 which states:

All vents and branch vent pipes shall be free from drops or sags, and each such vent shall be level or shall be so graded and connected as to drip back by gravity to the drainage pipe it serves.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Not a problem Adam as you need to install them to where you can get off of the job. However, with your trusted UPC Code book in your truck you can refer them to UPC Section 905.1 which states:

All vents and branch vent pipes shall be free from drops or sags, and each such vent shall be level or shall be so graded and connected as to drip back by gravity to the drainage pipe it serves.

Mark
                    "WHILEY COYOTE"

Believe me my good friend,I have been quoting this for a looong time
                    Last edited by drtyhands; 05-24-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

i hope this is the right place to ask this question as i am not a professional plumber. how do you initiate a 1/4" per foot grading on DWV piping if the fittings are either 90, 45, or 22.5 degrees(1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th bends)? what technique do the professionals use?
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

We use our torch's and heat up and bend the fittings, 90, 45, etc... to either 1/4" or 1/8" per foot fall.

The tee's are the hardest to get 1/4" per foot fall on... lemme tell ya!
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                          i hope this is the right place to ask this question as i am not a professional plumber. how do you initiate a 1/4" per foot grading on DWV piping if the fittings are either 90, 45, or 22.5 degrees(1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th bends)? what technique do the professionals use?
                          It's a compromise you make up in the sockets of the fittings.Utah already made a point of it.I can already see an H.O.A. scumbag attorney sueing us over it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                            As 1/4" grade is only 2% it does not take much to achieve the grade by slightly tilting the fitting or taking advantage of the slop in the fitting.

Mark

Comment

It's a compromise you make up in the sockets of the fittings.Utah already made a point of it.I can already see an H.O.A. scumbag attorney sueing us over it.
                              After 20-years of doing Construction Litigation I have never seen a Plaintiff make the claim. At 1/4" per foot you can hardly tell it happened but when a non-plumber "plumber" decides if a 1/4" is good 3/4" is three times better you have a problem.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X