X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy college kids and their DIY plumbing

This is a video of some college kids trying to conserve water.
    After the 20 second advertisement is over, fast forward to around 2 MINUTES INTO THE VIDEO and check out what they've done under their sink.

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...8fb6d6e51ced0d

Re: Crazy college kids and their DIY plumbing

they disconnected the trap to catch the water....understandable. BUT they forgot to cap of the waste line, so they have sewer gas pouring into the house!

Of course, they probably don't notice the smell since they are so nasty with indoor composting and all.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I think they are just trying to make a difference, though it be small, its a start. Sewer gas, I think they probably did something else, maybe down in the basement, we really don't know. Compost in the house, well he did say the worms knock down the smell, and if they can handle it, so be it. The bulbs, always a great idea.

I also think that this is going to be going on in most households, as far as trying to go green. If 75% of America can change their old ways and do things that are good for our environment, this would become a huge factor in many ways. I am not a tree hugger, but I do my share at home, not just recycling either....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Brilliant!, Ground-breaking!

Or, a college pub. stunt catering to the "green" fad with nothing original.
        "If it's yellow let it mellow", talk to me mid August on how well that works.

The worms, they gotta go...put 'em in the basement or something. ew

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          I think they are just trying to make a difference, though it be small, its a start. Sewer gas, I think they probably did something else, maybe down in the basement, we really don't know. Compost in the house, well he did say the worms knock down the smell, and if they can handle it, so be it. The bulbs, always a great idea.

I also think that this is going to be going on in most households, as far as trying to go green. If 75% of America can change their old ways and do things that are good for our environment, this would become a huge factor in many ways. I am not a tree hugger, but I do my share at home, not just recycling either....
          I can't debate the effort, but they're college students!

I'd be impressed if they conjured some figures on energy use for an ejector system to recycle grey water to the toilet rather than holding a bucket under the tub spout.
          Maybe even a whole home compost system to harvest methane from all organic waste in a sealed container....just please, not inside the house with worms. YUK!

Comment

Why are you guys making fun of my house?
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

That works great with a bunch of granola cruchin, sandal wearin, hemp smokin, dredlock sportin, bead makin, bohemian college students living in a group house.

I want to see them 5 years out of college with jobs, husbands, wives, kids, SUVs...etc. Then we will see what impact they have on the environment.

" if it's yellow let it mellow..."
              Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                That works great with a bunch of granola cruchin, sandal wearin, hemp smokin, dredlock sportin, bead makin, bohemian college students living in a group house.

I want to see them 5 years out of college with jobs, husbands, wives, kids, SUVs...etc. Then we will see what impact they have on the environment.

" if it's yellow let it mellow..."
                Careful there MR...you'll be working off their blueprints soon enough!

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                Why are you guys making fun of my house?
                THE WORMS...make them go away, make it stop!

Comment

If figures it would be a NY Slimes article. Gee lets remove this u looking thingey under here, I believe thats how SARS got spread so rapidly in China. Besides, it's code that all fixtures have a fixture trap, oh I forgot they're college kids and they can do what they want. Lets see how much they conserve when they finish school, finally get a real job, buy a house and need to have a new boiler/furnace put in, see if they spend the extra $$$$ for the high efficient boiler/furnace or they go with the "standard" model. I already know the answer which one they will pick. Everybody wants to conserve until it hits them in the pocket!

Comment

Masterplumb, that reminds of a call I got from a crazy, crunchy granola type lady. She read an article that her anode rod was causing 'chemicals' in her water. I explained that I could take it out, but then it would rot her water-heater faster and she'd have dissolved iron in her water instead of magnesium. She was so afraid of 'chemicals' it wasn't funny. I told her that maybe she could get a plastic water heater....her response? "but I don't want plastic in my water!" I told her EVERYTHING HAS CHEMICALS IN IT, SINCE EVERYTHING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD IS A CHEMICAL! She paused, confused. I guess she missed chemistry class in 3rd grade. I finally told her to make up her mind about what she wanted to do with her water heater and then call me back.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Masterplumb, that reminds of a call I got from a crazy, crunchy granola type lady. She read an article that her anode rod was causing 'chemicals' in her water. I explained that I could take it out, but then it would rot her water-heater faster and she'd have dissolved iron in her water instead of magnesium. She was so afraid of 'chemicals' it wasn't funny. I told her that maybe she could get a plastic water heater....her response? "but I don't want plastic in my water!" I told her EVERYTHING HAS CHEMICALS IN IT, SINCE EVERYTHING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD IS A CHEMICAL! She paused, confused. I guess she missed chemistry class in 3rd grade. I finally told her to make up her mind about what she wanted to do with her water heater and then call me back.
                      Scruples?...baaahhh
                      Take it out, leave your card, replace the whole heater in a year or less.
                      OR, grab the box of wheaties from atop her fridge & scare the crap outta her by pointing to the magnesium in the "vitamins and minerals" label.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Masterplumb, that reminds of a call I got from a crazy, crunchy granola type lady. She read an article that her anode rod was causing 'chemicals' in her water. I told her EVERYTHING HAS CHEMICALS IN IT, SINCE EVERYTHING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD IS A CHEMICAL!
                        Of course you're right, in the sense that everything is chemistry, everything is found on the periodic table. But granola lady is right too, she's just too uneducated to know why. Excess aluminum can cause dementia, central nervous system damage, possibly Alzheimer's...
                        Some chemicals are good for the human body, others not so good.
                        Which is why I tell every client that they should always draw drinking and cooking water from the cold tap to avoid it passing through the water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
                          Of course you're right, in the sense that everything is chemistry, everything is found on the periodic table. But granola lady is right too, she's just too uneducated to know why. Excess aluminum can cause dementia, central nervous system damage, possibly Alzheimer's...
                          Some chemicals are good for the human body, others not so good.
                          Which is why I tell every client that they should always draw drinking and cooking water from the cold tap to avoid it passing through the water heater.
                          I always fill my coffee pot with hot water because it.............
                          Oh hell I can't remember why.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X