puzzling toilet issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: puzzling toilet issue

I've found old dried toilet paper stuck to the walls of the trapway in a seldom used guest bath toilet slowly, but visibly, siphon the bowl. Just another possibility if the powerflush theory doesn't work out.
    Mike

Comment

a bit of update. it's not the powerflush. absolutely no effect unless it's staring a very small siphon. a TP square in the offending bowl doesn't move.

today we had some good breeze but nothing moving so i think the vent's ok. also Tom ran a hose down both the W/C vent and the kitchen vent. all clear there.

this is a new even and the poweerflush is about a year old. the offendingtouilet bets used between 2-3 times a day on average, according to the owner.

still waiting for the other plumber to show up. as this isn't an emergency Tom's not in a big rush. he also goes stateside in a few days and this may just backburner till his return.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        The shower, tub, or sink may be stack vented and may not be affected. Do they have a thirsty dog?
        I really think you need to set up a 24 hour video surveilance camera. Strange things happen when everyone is asleep.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I had a toilet with a cracked trap one time and it did exactly what your talking about.

I have never seen a back to back toilet with a baffle. Could someone post a pic of that or explain a little bit more.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            I really think you need to set up a 24 hour video surveilance camera. Strange things happen when everyone is asleep.
            the 1st plumber blamed it on "jumbies" an evil/mischevious spirit from Afican folk lore. i already suggested a Mocko Jumbie (do a google search) and we both had a good laugh.

it's cocktail hour and the tele's calling my name like a sirene in the fog. enough toilet talk for one day

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
              I had a toilet with a cracked trap one time and it did exactly what your talking about.

I have never seen a back to back toilet with a baffle. Could someone post a pic of that or explain a little bit more.
              Wouldn't a cracked trap on a wall hung toilet show water on the floor?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                That is where the thirsty dog comes into the picture
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

J.C.
                  no as the trap is internal and the water will just bypass the weir of the trap.

of course if the side of the trap was broken, you'll see the broken china on the floor.

typical trap breakage is caused by closet auger or defect that usually shows day one.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

"Ah, teacher. Now I see why the stick appears crooked in the water"-Grasshopper.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post

It's not the toilet that has the baffle, it's the double san tee fitting in the wall.
                      sigpic

Comment

UPDATE AS OF 6/12/08

Tom & Denise get back and make an appointment with plunber #2.

he shows up and goes onto the roof and checks the vents. all clear and working.

he asks all the right questions and pulls the toilet from the wall. no water inside the wall nothing amiss with the tee.

he looks inside the back and lo and behold there is a hole in the trap!! it's at just the right place that when the wind blows across the vent it creates a bit of water movement and s siphon occurs. thus the mystery of the self draining wall mounted toilet is solved.

thanks to all who had input as i learned a bit and enjoyed the discussion

steve

Comment

the update is appreciated

Comment

Do I get 50% credit?

J.C.

Comment

Do I get 50% credit?

J.C.
                              just 50%? hech, i'd give you at least 62%.

steve

Comment

Cool. I'd give you that little hang loose Hawaiian Island hand symbol if I could.

A little jealous you're in a island paradise. Glad you and you're plumbing buddy figured things out.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X