Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

    Can a washing machine be drained into a 2 inch pipe that is reduced down
    to a 1 1/4 inch drain pipe? The home is on a slap and the 1 1/4 inch drain
    currently exists in the bathroom. Should this setup require a drain vented
    piping as well?

    Thanks for any info.

  • #2
    Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

    NO NO AND NO ! ! !

    MUST HAVE 2" DRAIN ALL THE WAY TO SEWER MAIN, AND YES IT NEEDS TO BE VENTED !

    NO WAY WOULD 11/4" PIPE CARRY THE LOAD ! !
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

      It could serve a dual purpose.
      Laundry drain - Floor prewash soaker/sudser.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

        Around here, you cant put anything smaller than 2" under a slab??

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

          Nice reply Jerrymac> I like the way you kinda sneeked up on your answer. Subtile as a brick.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

            Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Nice reply Jerrymac> I like the way you kinda sneeked up on your answer. Subtile as a brick.

            Yeah, he does seem to "beat around the bush" a little bit. He really needs to learn to be more direct with his answers

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

              Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
              NO NO AND NO ! ! !

              MUST HAVE 2" DRAIN ALL THE WAY TO SEWER MAIN, AND YES IT NEEDS TO BE VENTED !

              NO WAY WOULD 11/4" PIPE CARRY THE LOAD ! !

              I could NOT have said it better ,

              Yea 2" all the way for sure

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                Will the main vent pipe that currently exists be sufficient?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                  By the way this is a 50+ year old house ...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                    Originally posted by plumber_dlm View Post
                    Will the main vent pipe that currently exists be sufficient?
                    Kind of like a electrical outlet,I don't know the size or what you got on it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                      They require us to increase the w/m branch to 3" here to accommadate suds & stronger pumps.

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        They require us to increase the w/m branch to 3" here to accommadate suds & stronger pumps.

                        J.C.
                        I thought that was only if it ties into another fixture, like a kitchen drain. Oh wait they recently changed it again. I'll have to look it up later.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                          Besides the inadequate pipe size, you cannot reduce downstream. The one exception is a 4x3 closet bend.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                            Originally posted by plumber_dlm View Post
                            Can a washing machine be drained into a 2 inch pipe that is reduced down
                            to a 1 1/4 inch drain pipe? The home is on a slap and the 1 1/4 inch drain
                            currently exists in the bathroom. Should this setup require a drain vented
                            piping as well?

                            Thanks for any info.

                            Can you say restriction
                            sigpic

                            Robert

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Washing Machine Drain Standpipe

                              i like to stay at least 10 pipe diameters downstream from the nearest connection to prevent sudsing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X