Clear All

Re: cost of new sewer line and lift pump

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    1 Billion Dollars!!!!
    That sounds a bit low.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The head of the city waterboard is the one who said "it sounds high". He has been listening to bids for 35 years. It is not his first rodeo. I am really sorry I irritated so many of you on here. I am a member of many message boards and I have never seen a board as rude and impolite. I apologize for asking such a "stupid question". I certainly won't bother you anymore.
      Last edited by beachlover2; 05-28-2008, 09:04 PM.

Comment

No need to apologize. Sorry, if we seem 'rude' but we are simply informing you that asking for a sewer price on the internet of all places is just ridiculous. Stick around, these guys can be a real hoot.

p.s.- this forum is extremely TAME compared to some. We rarely ahve any foul language, abuse or insults. Some forums allow all of the above freely!
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by beachlover2 View Post
          The head of the city waterboard is the one who said "it sounds high". He has been listening to bids for 35 years. It is not his first rodeo. I am really sorry I irritated so many of you on here. I am a member of many message boards and I have never seen a board as rude and impolite. I apologize for asking such a "stupid question". I certainly won't bother you anymore.
          Gotta say lighten' up! I've been on other message boards as well. But if you want real answers from non DIY'ers then this is the only board that will give you that with the most accurate answers.

What was said that was so offensive? The crazy numbers others post are just kidding around. The problem with alot of people looking for a price is they want someone to say $5,000.00 or $10,000.00 and that's all they want.

This isn't our first time being asked to price something. Alot have been burned by telling prices without having our feet actually on the jobsite. And the smart ones won't do it again.

I'm inclined to think that you wanted us to tell you the price was high and that's all. Or that you wanted "hard number" that's impossible for us to give.

You've been given the best advice in the world for free. What more do you want?

Get 2 more bids. Don't be afraid to pay for them.
          Ask for licensing, insurance etc.
          Ask for references.
          Get a contract and sign it.

Hope this helps.

If not. Don't come back.

J.C.

Comment

So you often try to get free information? Learn from this experience and be more specific in the future. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's near impossible to price a job like this without actually seeing it. That said, probably between 5 and 8 grand. Get 3 bids and make sure you're compairing apples to apples so to speak.
              sigpic

Comment

Pay the $6200 and give the guy in the trench $100. In my little barrier island it would be closer to $12,000 for that job. And I know, I'm bidding one out just like that right now!

Comment

If one would humor me for a bit,

Would some one break down the costs you estimate on a typical job (as beachlover2 posted with out "problems" and easy access to the site that needs trenched, and the average depth of 6 feet,).
                  beachlover2
                  The trench for the line to connect to the city's line is approx. 150 feet. There is nothing in the way. The pump is the kind that chews things up and pumps into a 2 inch line. There will be a 4 inch line coming from the house to the pump and tank. I believe PVC pipe.
                  What pump would you recommend in this application,
                  to me this looks like the largest variable in the material costs.

What does hiring a backhoe or trenching cost in your areas, (I know I live in a "different world compared to many but I would find it very interesting to know),

I do not know if plumberscrack was joking or not but.
                  plumberscrack
                  Around here, $6,200 would be a bargain for that job
                  I would charge that much for the trench alone
                  Also what would be included?
                  What would the site be like when you are completed? (Landscaping in tacked or would that be the home owners job, to resodded).

What is the normal when it comes to lot restoration?

like one said there is a lot of variables,

I would jsut be interested in the estimated figures of a basic break down of a typical job in your area.

(I my self have not done any thing like this in about 30 years, but I have hired backhoes and have trenched miles of water lines, and bought materials and have looked up prices for zoller lift pumps for residential use, and yes I am semi retired from construction, and I know there have been price jumps like crazy in many areas today),
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

bhd, once again you beat me to the post.

knowing what the material cost is the first part of bidding the job.

price out the materials. pump, pipe, fittings, misc.

price out a backhoe or day laborer.

price out your plumber to install the material in the provided trench.

acting as the general can save you some money, but you will also be exposed to all the extras that were not figured.

how about the electrical, the permits, the landscaping, damage to existing utilities/ sprinklers?

yes you will save money by subbing the work to each trade, but how much?

2''pvc is $1 to $2 a foot. add fittings.

ejector pump zoller m267 is $300.

get your other prices and do the math.

are you in a position to supervise and take on that role?

if so, do it and see how much you can save. but get a contract on the other subs.

let us know

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Put this way...you got a price for a job.
                      An engineer who's head of your water dept has postulated that it's high, a guy who likely doesn't own a shovel, much less has a concept of the intensive labor involved.
                      The costs for stock, machinery, maintanence, insurance and tools/equipment are fixed, there's no getting those prices down.
                      In other words, you're asking a group of plumbers to help you rationalize another tradesmans pay cut, indirectly.
                      Ditch work is brutal, barbaric work.
                      My back is junk from years of it, I only have so many years left due to this kind of work.
                      Whats that worth?
                      If I do the job for you on the cheap...will you help me with my bills while I recuperate from the surgery I was told I'll need?
                      Still feel our approach is rude?
                      Last edited by DuckButter; 05-29-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Question for everyone...
                        Can anyone remember, if ever, seeing some post a question on why a bid was too cheap?

Comment

No BHD I wasn't joking about the $6,200 for a 150' trench.

My site crew is a 4 man team. 1 operator, 1 dumptruck driver, 1 mechanic and 1 know-it-all helper.

All dirt removed needs to be trucked off site and stored. Then hauled back to the site, graveled and tamped. No landscaping. Cold patch if we take up a sidewalk.

Yea the price is high but that equipment is expensive to own and repair.

When it rains these guys go home for the day. When it rains for a week these guys stay home.

Rick, you think a M267 is the proper pump for this application?

Comment

Bill- Does cold patch mean putting the larger stones on the top?
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Like asphault but its not hot when applied. Stays soft for a few days so it can be removed easily for a permanent repair

Sidewalks in public space are repaired by the city. Most front yards are not owned by the homeowner so the city fixes the majority of them.

Comment

Gotcha, I know what your referring to now. I've just never used it before, or knew what it was called. Thanks.
                                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                                X