X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing Commercial Booster Pumps

A management company wants to add booster pumps to 3 buildings.

Each building has a new 2" water service installed 3 years ago

Static pressure is 60 lbs. read before the backflow preventer.

4 story building 40 feet high. Top floor pressure should be what? 45 lbs. static?

There is some loss in pressure though the backflow, right?

Here's the problem. During heavy usage in the early mornings and evenings pressure to top floors suffer. (Sorry I don't have the numbers) It's so bad some are unable to shower.

WASA (D.C. Water and Sewer Authority) says nothing they can do to increase pressure. The problem is system wide. Too much new development in this area without the proper infrastructure.

So my question is how does one go about sizing a booster pump system and who makes a good pump? Money is not a concern here.

Each building has 35 units all with 1 bath (standard tank type toilets) laundry in basement, no irrigation
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM.

Re: Sizing Commercial Booster Pumps

What pressure do you want on the first floor?
    Are you going to be able to regulate lower floors if you want more than eighty down there?
    Last edited by drtyhands; 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I made a phone call to my pump guy.
      Are you able to go three phase?
      The technology now will allow you to go with Variable Frequency Drive(VFR).It is a far more efficient motor/system.
      Last edited by drtyhands; 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        What pressure do you want on the first floor?
        Are you going to be able to regulate lower floors if you want more than eighty down there?
        Screw the lower floors. It's the top floors that are bitchin'

Yea no problem. I can make even more money selling PRV's to the condo owners.

I made a phone call to my pump guy.
        Are you able to go three phase?
        The technology now will allow you to go with Variable Frequency Drive(VFR).It is a far more efficient motor.
        I used to have a pump guy. I wonder where he is I guess you are my pump guy now

No just single phase. Is VFR only availible in 3 phase?

Comment

O/K 220?

Riser stack or individual branch stacks?

Comment

220v good

Riser stacks

Comment

40' @ .434 per foot in height adds to just over 17, incoming is 60.
              Assuming max psi in your code is 80, you could get away with a booster and not have to use prv's on the lower floor.
              I'm guessing your customers just not happy with flow on the top floor, it's just about 43 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                220v good

Riser stacks
                Pick one

A.Unit risers
                B.fixture risers

I am assuming they are unit as we think we can resolve through boosting/regulating lowers?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  40' @ .434 per foot in height adds to just over 17, incoming is 60.
                  Assuming max psi in your code is 80, you could get away with a booster and not have to use prv's on the lower floor.
                  I'm guessing your customers just not happy with flow on the top floor, it's just about 43 psi.
                  You know how it is Ducky. You get a bunch of DINKS with bathrooms bigger than my bedroom. They all wanted champagne ceiling mounted dinner plate size showerheads. The problem only exists during peak usage. All other times it's adequate

Pick one

A.Unit risers
                  B.fixture risers

I am assuming they are unit as we think we can resolve through boosting/regulating lowers?
                  Unit

Comment

You know how it is Ducky. You get a bunch of DINKS with bathrooms bigger than my bedroom. They all wanted champagne ceiling mounted dinner plate size showerheads. The problem only exists during peak usage. All other times it's adequate

Unit
                    Oops, I stand corrected, you need a 40psi boost, with prvs all over the place in the first two floors.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      Oops, I stand corrected, you need a 40psi boost, with prvs all over the place in the first two floors.
                      I only want to boost the pressure when it drops too low. Pumping it up to knock it back down again doesn't seem right to me

Feed me... I'm a sponge

Comment

Unit
                        Best we can do on my end is have a pump number with amps and GPM's tommorrow.It's too late for my loop.

Comment

Just for the record.The three phase VFD's don't need a tank,just a bladder.The system is digitally controlled to only pump usage.It ramps up based on demand(1 shower or all 35 units) versus full on/full off for 1 shower.

Comment

I am not disagreeing with dirtyhands on the use of a pump with a VFD. However, a VFD can only ramp down so far. I would look into a duplex or triplex (probalby just a duplex) system with PRV's on the lower floors if deemed necessary.

Regards,

Comment

Both Goulds and Grundfos publish the information you need on their web sites.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X