Noisy W/H burner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy W/H burner

Recently had a 10 year-old Rheem natural gas W/H replaced with an A.O. Smith brand. The Rheem was an older style (~10yrs?) without the latest safety features.

The new water heater's burner is much noisier than the old one. Is this normal?

---Mike

Re: Noisy W/H burner

Yes
    sigpic

Comment

Lacking detail, I'd have to guess you had a powervented heater replacing an older draft vent.
      Powervents are distinguished by the plastic exhaust vent on the top of the heater, coming from a black blower assemby with an electrical plug.
      If thats the case, your hearing the blower...sounds like a soft vacuum.

Comment

It's not a power-vent W/H. Simply the regular flue-vent model. Both the old and new are 40 gallon, installed in the same location using the same vent pipe.

The noise is from the burner. The A.O. Smith is just very loud.

Thanks for the response.

....Mike

Comment

is it propane or natural gas?
          The Other Rick

Comment

I noticed the new Bradford Whites to be quieter, that is the new ones that meet the regs here in los angeles.

I would check the gas valve or see if there is a distortion in the flame, which is in the firebox, there should be a site glass you can look in.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Improper burning can cause the the water heater to be loud especially if it is a propane fueled. This usually has to do with setting the correct amount of air by making a adjustment to the burner assembly shutter.

I do not recommend you try to remedy this by doing it yourself.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

actually the newer fvir/ flame guard heaters are much quieter as the combustion chamber is pretty much sealed.

the newest lo nox ones here as robert mentioned are even quieter as the flame is more like an infrared style burner. hard to hear anything.

are you sure it's not flue noise. the flue baffle might not be set in there properly.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  actually the newer fvir/ flame guard heaters are much quieter as the combustion chamber is pretty much sealed.

the newest lo nox ones here as robert mentioned are even quieter as the flame is more like an infrared style burner. hard to hear anything.

are you sure it's not flue noise. the flue baffle might not be set in there properly.
                  I totally agree with that. The only other thing I can add is maybe the new w/h is a bigger unit with a bigger burner compared to the old one. Going from a 36,000btu 40 gallon to a 50/50 or something similiar would make for more burner noise.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                    I totally agree with that. The only other thing I can add is maybe the new w/h is a bigger unit with a bigger burner compared to the old one. Going from a 36,000btu 40 gallon to a 50/50 or something similiar would make for more burner noise.

Andy
                    He mentioned it's a 40 gal swap out.
                    I'd toss another wager that it's condensation in the flue.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                      I would have thought the new W/H would have been more quiet with all that shielding also, but not the case.

The sound is definitely coming from the burner. The stack pipe is straight up right through the roof with no bends...same as the with the old heater. Flame looks good through the little window.
                      Installer said the sound is "normal".

Guess I'll live with the additional noise as the W/H works great otherwise.

Thanks guys all for the replies.

.....Mike

Comment

If it's noisier than the old one I would want to take a good hard look at it.

It could be that you were just 'conditioned' to the old sound and the new one has a different tone and you take notice of that.

What kind of a sound is it? low rumbling? whistling? popping? gurgling?

On an unrelated note I saw that AO Smith and State are recalling ANOTHER round of 75 gallon Natural gas and LP heaters. So far it's a voluntary recall of 1,200 sold between Nov 2007 and Jan 2008. This number will likey rise. I know of at least 2 that I need to check. Flue baffle problems ......again!

You would think that they would have all the kinks worked out by now

http://www.hotwater.com/recall.html

Comment

Can't say I was "conditioned" to the sound of the old Rheem as it didn't make much noise. -G-

Interesting on the Smith recall but unless it 'spills over' to include my 40 gallon, the current one doesn't apply.

The Smith W/H emits a low frequency rumble. Reminds me of an old Bryant gas boiler (baseboard heat) I had in a previous home... except that one was over 200,000 BTU so was burning lots of fuel with several (4?) rows of burners.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

----Mike

Comment

Did you take the picture in your avatar? It's great!
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              Did you take the picture in your avatar? It's great!

it's joey's way to say hello.

rick.

of course he took them
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X