offset flange in CI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offset flange in CI

Remodeling a basement bathroom. I need to offset the existing toilet flange to allow for furring strips and drywall behind the toilet. A cast iron 4" pipe comes up through the concrete floor. I can break off the old flange, but can't get to the hub.
    An expansion flange that goes inside the pipe looks like an easy way to go, but I can't find an offset, expansion fitting. Do they make them? Or, does anyone know a way to do this without breaking concrete? Could a PVC offset go inside a CI pipe?

Re: offset flange in CI

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
    Remodeling a basement bathroom. I need to offset the existing toilet flange to allow for furring strips and drywall behind the toilet. A cast iron 4" pipe comes up through the concrete floor. I can break off the old flange, but can't get to the hub.
    An expansion flange that goes inside the pipe looks like an easy way to go, but I can't find an offset, expansion fitting. Do they make them? Or, does anyone know a way to do this without breaking concrete? Could a PVC offset go inside a CI pipe?
    I've never seen one. Sorry but I think you will be renting a chipping gun this weekend. Good luck

Comment

They make-em' in cast but you're going to have to take a crash course in learning how to use lead and oakum

Offsets are illegal as they impede the flow out of the bottom of W/C.
      SORRY.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
        Something else occurred to me. The flange is currently 12" from the wall. Suppose I got a toilet that is made for a 10" back set. That would leave me 2 more inches of space between the tank and the wall, wouldn't it?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
          Something else occurred to me. The flange is currently 12" from the wall. Suppose I got a toilet that is made for a 10" back set. That would leave me 2 more inches of space between the tank and the wall, wouldn't it?
          Why is 12 no good for you?

Comment

Almost all rough-ins are at 12" for todays W/C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Why is 12 no good for you?
              I'm trying to get more space between the tank and the block wall to allow for furring strips and drywall. Currently there is no drywall.

Comment

You can get 10" rough toilets no problem

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  You can get 10" rough toilets no problem
                  Am I correct in my thinking that installing a 10" rough toilet onto a flange set 12" from the wall will give me about two more inches of clearance? Or am I overlooking something?

Comment

Am I correct in my thinking that installing a 10" rough toilet onto a flange set 12" from the wall will give me about two more inches of clearance? Or am I overlooking something?
                    YES-SIR

Comment

Gonna be a few bucks more but nothing like the pita of messing around with the flange.

Comment

toto makes some great toilets that are universal. they install with a plastic flush el fitting above the finish floor. the included one is set for 12'', but you can buy a 10'' or 14'' separately.

these are top of the line toilets and will flush with the best of them.

make sure to get a spec sheet as the water will need to be ruffed in a little wider to accept this type of toilet.

go to www.totousa and look at the toilets with the sub ring.

the "caryle" comes to mind and is a skirted design.

you can also try the australian line of toilets made by "caroma"

their best toilets will flush potatoes. the sub ring/ flange it comes with is 1'' adjustable 360 degrees. so it will offset any way you need it.

plus it's 4'' trap way is unplug-able

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

God save me for this post, but H.D. actually sells a freekin adjustable toilet. It goes 10" 12" and 14" just by ajustments on the tank. It's the damnest thing I've seen in toilets. Ugly as ugly gets but it does work.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice, you've all been a big help

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              God save me for this post, but H.D. actually sells a freekin adjustable toilet. It goes 10" 12" and 14" just by ajustments on the tank. It's the damnest thing I've seen in toilets. Ugly as ugly gets but it does work.
                              problem with that type design is the bowl sits in the same location. so if the bathroom door is too close, moving the tank won't work.

it's also most likely a cheap/ poor flushing toilet too. what brand are they?

at least with the toto, i know they're top of the line flushers

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X