igniter problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• igniter problem

i have a maytag water heater that won't light. i pressed the igniter in accordance with the instructions but i saw no spark. are these replaceable or fixable? . i bought it about 2 months ago for another house that i am moving to and just now hooking it up. appreciate any advice and thank you.

Re: igniter problem

They are replaceable. Please hire a licensed person to work on gas appliances though, they are not for DIYers.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

It is possible the maytag clicker is not grounded to the gas valve, so it is not clicking a spark. chances are there is nothing wrong with it.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have seen many times where the end of the rod is not close enough to the pilot tube to make a spark. I'm willing to bet if you remove the burner assembly and bend the rod slightly so that the distance between the two is no more then 1/4" your problem will be solved.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Isn't there a recall out on these? Is it these or the whirpool that has the thermocouple problem?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            I have seen many times where the end of the rod is not close enough to the pilot tube to make a spark. I'm willing to bet if you remove the burner assembly and bend the rod slightly so that the distance between the two is no more then 1/4" your problem will be solved.

This is very true, I have had this on new installations.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Isn't there a recall out on these? Is it these or the whirpool that has the thermocouple problem?

its Whirlpool.......class action suit
              The Other Rick

Comment

this is a new heater, correct. never been used?

is it that you can't get it to light, or is there no spark?

first off, i would bleed the gas at the flex connector to the heaters valve. it's possible you have just air in the line and no pilot gas yet

the bradford i had an issue with 2 weeks ago had a bad igniter wire too. the insulation inside was melted off.

i was able to relite by removing the 4 screws to get it started and then replaced the heater when i returned from my trip.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

i got hot water! i finally got the pilot to come on. turns out i wasn't holding the pilot knob down long enough for the gas to start going to the burner. i would put the control in pilot, push the button down, then start activating the igniter very quickly, but releasing the pilot after a few seconds. turns out that was much too quickly. anyway thanks to all, now i have to take a hot shower!

Comment

HAHA! I thought you couldn't see the spark? It turns out you just didn't follow directions!
                    I'm glad you figured it out.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
                      i got hot water! i finally got the pilot to come on. turns out i wasn't holding the pilot knob down long enough for the gas to start going to the burner. i would put the control in pilot, push the button down, then start activating the igniter very quickly, but releasing the pilot after a few seconds. turns out that was much too quickly. anyway thanks to all, now i have to take a hot shower!
                      Always makes you wonder though. Click, click, click, click, da%@+!!! Glad you got it!

J.C.

Comment

hold down atleast 10 seconds on a thermocouple, and 30 seconds on a PG9, gotta get those millivolts ticking.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          HAHA! I thought you couldn't see the spark? It turns out you just didn't follow directions!
                          I'm glad you figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                            its Whirlpool.......class action suit
                            Flame lock.
                            Interesting observation...American W/H's have probably been paying dearly for that in puiblic relations...they are selling for substantially less than any other heater in my area at plumbing supplies.
                            I was poking around my local gas co website this week and saw an ad for water heater installs.
                            They are offering a real good deal on...you guessed it...American water heater installations.

Comment

Working...
                            X