Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son flushed a pudding cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

    Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    feet
    To have made it through the 2.25" closet trap and then be able to clog the 3"...thats one heck of a large, but flexible puddin' cup.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

      first off he used a non powered snake. i rater doubt that he pulled the toilet. so that means possibly 7' into the line, 3' into the toilet.

      personally, unless he pulls the toilet, we're all guessing.

      a non powered snake is most likely a 1/4'' floppy cable. i doubt he has any real feel for what's at 10'

      pull the toilet and see if the line is open or plugged. my guess it's still in the toilet

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

        A manuel snake will only tickle a stoppage, get the real machines out there and a real plumber / drain cleaner
        sigpic

        Robert

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          first off he used a non powered snake. i rater doubt that he pulled the toilet. so that means possibly 7' into the line, 3' into the toilet.

          personally, unless he pulls the toilet, we're all guessing.

          a non powered snake is most likely a 1/4'' floppy cable. i doubt he has any real feel for what's at 10'

          pull the toilet and see if the line is open or plugged. my guess it's still in the toilet

          rick.
          I with ya, if the snake got 10' (or 7') it prolly went right past the cup.
          One thing that drives me batty 'bout these threads is that all too often the homeowners never come back to tell us.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

            Thanks for all the replies. You told me what I suspected -- looks like we'll have to remove the toilet.

            I apologize for taking so long to reply -- I'm working graveyards.

            The pudding was chocolate. I know because there was some on the floor -- the clue that led to the interrogation and confession of the pudding cup flushing. The same son flushes the toilet when he starts to pee so he can race it. I don't complain about that since at least he bothered to come inside.


            I will report back what we find. Since it flushes enough to get clear water in it, we may leave the toilet out of service for a little while and use the opportunity created by my son to save up for and accelerate our planned replacement of the floor covering in that bathroom -- was probably going to be a few years, but if we have to have the toilet off anyway, maybe it's more efficient to do it now. Most likely we'll remove the vinyl and put in ceramic tile.

            How risky is it for the homeowner (or flooring installer?) to do the toilet removal and let the pro come put it back after the new floor is in to ensure a good seal? It seems to me like the biggest risk is if the supply valve doesn't close good, there could be a leak that would need to be resolved immediately.

            I understand from searching that prices vary greatly by region, but if someone wants to speculate on what we might be looking at, I would appreciate it (i.e. $100-ish, $300-ish, more?).

            There are a few other plumbing annoyances we'd have fixed at at the same time if they are not too pricey. If anyone cares to speculate on these too, it'd be helpful. If there is an easy fix, I'd try it, but mostly I just want to know enough to decide if what we're told by a pro is reasonable.

            * in the ceiling of our basement there is water supply line that runs to a bathroom that has a very slow drip. We removed the suspended ceiling tile under the drip and the puddle on the floor never gets more than about 1" diameter. We found the leak not by a water spot on the ceiling tile but by the corrosion on the metal grid piece.

            * our house has a sunroom that was added on by a previous owner. There is a cheesy homemade bar with a small sink that looks like it is drained via the kitchen sink drain (which is directly on the other side of what used to be the exterior wall). That small sink (but not the kitchen sink) will gurgle sometimes when a toilet is flushed in the house (the pudding cup toilet, pre-clogging). Am I right to think this might be a clogged up vent line through the roof? We have a lot of trees that drop leaves and nuts, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is a vent that is clogged.

            Thanks again.

            Mark

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

              Yummy, chocolate pudding.....maybe there is still some brown left in that cup??





              As far as re-setting the toilet, if you lay down tile and bury the flange, that is a no-no, really depends on what kind of new flooring you are doing. In my opinion, I would call a plumber to re-set the toilet, make sure it is done right, you don't want your new floor to rot!

              But hey, I may be a little partial to the subject
              sigpic

              Robert

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

                Originally posted by mark126 View Post
                Thanks for all the replies. You told me what I suspected -- looks like we'll have to remove the toilet.

                I apologize for taking so long to reply -- I'm working graveyards.

                The pudding was chocolate. I know because there was some on the floor -- the clue that led to the interrogation and confession of the pudding cup flushing. The same son flushes the toilet when he starts to pee so he can race it. I don't complain about that since at least he bothered to come inside.


                I will report back what we find. Since it flushes enough to get clear water in it, we may leave the toilet out of service for a little while and use the opportunity created by my son to save up for and accelerate our planned replacement of the floor covering in that bathroom -- was probably going to be a few years, but if we have to have the toilet off anyway, maybe it's more efficient to do it now. Most likely we'll remove the vinyl and put in ceramic tile.

                How risky is it for the homeowner (or flooring installer?) to do the toilet removal and let the pro come put it back after the new floor is in to ensure a good seal? It seems to me like the biggest risk is if the supply valve doesn't close good, there could be a leak that would need to be resolved immediately.

                I understand from searching that prices vary greatly by region, but if someone wants to speculate on what we might be looking at, I would appreciate it (i.e. $100-ish, $300-ish, more?).

                There are a few other plumbing annoyances we'd have fixed at at the same time if they are not too pricey. If anyone cares to speculate on these too, it'd be helpful. If there is an easy fix, I'd try it, but mostly I just want to know enough to decide if what we're told by a pro is reasonable.

                * in the ceiling of our basement there is water supply line that runs to a bathroom that has a very slow drip. We removed the suspended ceiling tile under the drip and the puddle on the floor never gets more than about 1" diameter. We found the leak not by a water spot on the ceiling tile but by the corrosion on the metal grid piece.

                * our house has a sunroom that was added on by a previous owner. There is a cheesy homemade bar with a small sink that looks like it is drained via the kitchen sink drain (which is directly on the other side of what used to be the exterior wall). That small sink (but not the kitchen sink) will gurgle sometimes when a toilet is flushed in the house (the pudding cup toilet, pre-clogging). Am I right to think this might be a clogged up vent line through the roof? We have a lot of trees that drop leaves and nuts, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is a vent that is clogged.

                Thanks again.

                Mark
                Pricing things in an internet forum...not gonna do it. Plus technically you are asking people around the world for an estimate. Do you really want to get into a conversation over price analysis variance by region of the U.S.? I know....you wanted just a simple answer. There usually isn't one.

                So ask friends/coworkers/relatives for recommendations. As far as doing it yourself. Noone can answer that either. We don't know the degree of skill you have in this area. You might do it GREAT! But if you have to ask, maybe not.

                Finally, how many times are you going to call the plumber in your life. Twice a year or less? In the big picture plumbers are cheap! It's part of taking care of your house too.

                So make a new longterm relationship with a good plumber. He/she will be there for you in the future when you need them even more. Then you can relax and tell them to "Fix that would you please. I'm going to play golf or whatever..."

                J.C.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

                  Homeowner reporting back....

                  We had a plumber check the drain pipe and not seeing the pudding cup took his recommendation to just replace the toilet. He also replaced an outside faucet and a leaky shutoff valve in a cold water line to another bathroom. Total cost was $150.

                  Only regret was that we didn't go with an elongated bowl. I am not really familiar with all the parameters in selecting a toilet.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

                    Always pull the toilet to remove obstruction. If its in the drain line you will need a cable and possible camera to retrieve the pooding cup.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

                      Originally posted by mark126 View Post
                      Homeowner reporting back....

                      We had a plumber check the drain pipe and not seeing the pudding cup took his recommendation to just replace the toilet. He also replaced an outside faucet and a leaky shutoff valve in a cold water line to another bathroom. Total cost was $150.

                      Only regret was that we didn't go with an elongated bowl. I am not really familiar with all the parameters in selecting a toilet.
                      Holy tee total HE!!

                      Someone returning for an update is great.

                      Somone returning months later with an update is unheard of. Glad you got things fixed and thanks for updating.

                      Hope the Forum helped some.

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

                        Originally posted by mark126 View Post
                        Homeowner reporting back....

                        We had a plumber check the drain pipe and not seeing the pudding cup took his recommendation to just replace the toilet. He also replaced an outside faucet and a leaky shutoff valve in a cold water line to another bathroom. Total cost was $150.

                        Only regret was that we didn't go with an elongated bowl. I am not really familiar with all the parameters in selecting a toilet.

                        Dang... I almost can't buy a toilet, hose bib, and stop for $150, let alone install them.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X