Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son flushed a pudding cup

Hello plumbing experts,

I'm looking for any tips that might allow us to clear up this problem ourself. I'll try to lay out what I know.

Our son flushed a plastic pudding cup.

The bowl would fill and the water would go down only by plunging or waiting a loooong time.

My wife had a friend of hers with a maintenance background use a non-powered snake to try to clear the clog. He hit an obstruction at about 10' in. He thought he had pushed the cup through, but perhaps more likely was just that he moved it. He had done a few test flushes with toilet paper and things seemed to be moving, but this "fix" only lasted a day or two before we were back with having to use a plunger to empty the bowl.

All other drains in the house are working fine.

The house was built in 1978 and has a septic tank. I'm not sure it was a good idea to try to push the plastic through instead of ensuring that it was extracted.

Anything else we should try? Could a shop vac be useful?

Thank you,

Mark in north Alabama

Re: My son flushed a pudding cup

Call a plumber/drain cleaner. They will remove the toilet, use their Mini seesnake and pull the cup out from under the toilet. Its probably caught at the outlet of the toilet.

Reason i say call the experts is A if its not in the toilet then its stuck in one the bends after the toilet and it will need a snake. B They can properly reset the toilet for you with a good seal.

Sounds like its just stuck in the bottom outlet of the toilet though.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I agree, call a plumber to lift the toilet. More than likely the cup is stuck at the outlet of the toilet.

Comment

I agree with you guys thats it's properly stuck at the outlet of the toilet, but if his friend knew what he was doing/talking about, and he really was 10' out, he's way past the outlet of the toilet.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
          I agree with you guys thats it's properly stuck at the outlet of the toilet, but if his friend knew what he was doing/talking about, and he really was 10' out, he's way past the outlet of the toilet.

He may have poked a hole through it or around it
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

doesn't sound like your buddy pulled the toilet.

pulling the toilet will determine if the stoppage is in the toilet or the pipe.

my gut feeling and the rest of the guys all feel it's in the toilet.

pull the toilet and you'll know for sure. since nothing else affects the stoppage, we all feel the toilet has the cup lodged in the outlet/ horn.

what flavor pudding was it

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              He may have poked a hole through it or around it
              Very good, thats my vote too.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I had one the other day, the tile guy's dropped a plastic water bottle, cut in half down the toilet.

You have to pull the toilet to determine where the stoppage is, this case it was in the trap of the toilet, the auger made it's way past.

Anytime I have a toilet stoppage, I clear it, then test with toilet paper multiple times tomake sure we are good! A good way to diagnose where the stoppage is, is to run fixtures in the bathroom, like the lav and the tub. If the cup is close, then only the toilet will be affected.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

To mark126. Are you gonna get a bumper sticker like all those people that have one that says "My Kid is A Straight A Student At So and So."

Yours reads "My Son Flushed A Pudding Cup!"

J.C.

Comment

i'm not an expert, but didn't the original post say the manual snake hit an obstruction 10 feet into the waste line? accordingly, how could the obstruction be in the toilet?
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      To mark126. Are you gonna get a bumper sticker like all those people that have one that says "My Kid is A Straight A Student At So and So."

J.C.

A true salute to every barbie doll, G.I. Joe or cough syrup bottle ever yanked from a closet.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                        i'm not an expert, but didn't the original post say the manual snake hit an obstruction 10 feet into the waste line? accordingly, how could the obstruction be in the toilet?
                        Inches

Comment

How about let's just try a real auger first. His friend may have used a lav cable or some such under sized thing. An auger tip can punch a hole in the thin plastic cup and pull it out.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.

lol i have one of those stickers. it reads,

"my son is inmate of the month at the county jail!"
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              Inches
                              feet

Comment

Working...