Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot water tank (spew)

had a hot water tank spew water all over the place from the relief valve ,
    what makes this happen and what should be done to fix it?

tank 13 yrs old
    and has been run on the hottest setting, for all those yrs

Re: hot water tank (spew)

Is it gas or electric. Check the water pressure coming into the house, shouldn't be over 80lbs, if it is replace the pressure regulator.
    The Other Rick

Comment

Relief valves open on temperature (210 degrees) or pressure (150lbs.)

If it opened on pressure it would just leak out a slow steady stream for a while.

Temperature it would blow out about 10 gallons in 15 secs then shut off.

Which was it?

Comment

gas.

lots of water, flooded out the office and did not stop untill the water was turned off.

Comment

My guess is failed pressure regulator, or failed tp valve
          Last edited by rick1643; 05-31-2008, 05:56 PM. Reason: more info
          The Other Rick

Comment

Aside from suggesting you turn down the temp, I'd suggest you get a plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by coldbluff View Post
              had a hot water tank spew water all over the place from the relief valve ,
              what makes this happen and what should be done to fix it?

tank 13 yrs old
              and has been run on the hottest setting, for all those yrs
              you cooked it and i also guarantee there is enough calcium and magnesium build up in that hearter to pave your drive way,replace the heater.

Comment

Depending on what the rates are in your area, might cost you over $100 just to replace the relief valve. Not really worth it for a 13 year old heater thats been set on high for an extended time.

If it does turn out to be a pressure issue unrelated to the heater you still should replace the valve and TURN DOWN THE TEMPERATURE!

Comment

You need to replace the kitchen faucet to correct this.

J.C.

Comment

... and make sure when the water heater is replaced that the T&P valve is piped outside as per CODE. This way the place won't flood when it's time for the next water heater to fail. Make sure your plumber pulls a permit and these things will work themselves out.
                    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                      ... and make sure when the water heater is replaced that the T&P valve is piped outside as per CODE. This way the place won't flood when it's time for the next water heater to fail. Make sure your plumber pulls a permit and these things will work themselves out.

You'll be in store for some surprises here...many states have codes that can completely vary.
                      Mine, for example, t&p simply drops down to a height where a bucket could be put under it...anything above finished floors gets a safety pan with a drain leading to the building drainage -usually via indirect waste in a basement or laundry room sink.
                      Don't let my code confuse what you've learned...You'll find at least 3 or 4 Cali UPC guys here you can relate to as far as specifics to yours.

Comment

Yes, T&P must exit the building and be drained to an approved location. they can no longer drain in smitty pans either.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          Yes, T&P must exit the building and be drained to an approved location. they can no longer drain in smitty pans either.
                          He's in Toledo...memory isn't kicking in as for whether it was KY or OH that requires that, Dunbar would know.

Comment

I know. 10 or 15 years ago my uncle decided to build a house in Arkansas and the story goes that he went downtown to ask the county, "What he needed to do to build a home?" The counter guy looked at him puzzled and said, "What do you mean, just go build it!"

And so he did, the next day, with a floor plan drawn on a sigle sheet of paper. A few months later he declared it "finaled" .

I am not sure how accurate the story is, but somehow it seems really beleivable!
                            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Working...
                            X