X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump with no pump

I am purchasing a home that has a sump pit. In the pit there are two 4" tubes coming into it. I'm assuming these are directing water from around the foundation into the pit.

The pit does not have a sump pump.. the water just sits there. I believe it's going to evaporate, but it seems like installing a sump pump into the sump pit shouldn't be hard. My question is, do I need to or will the water really evaporate enough? Or am I mistaken and those two 4" tubes are somehow going to keep the pit from overflowing? When I looked a day ago there was some standing water in the pit (maybe 2-3 inches I think).

Thanks for your help,
    Dan

Re: Sump with no pump

Originally posted by dan123 View Post
    I am purchasing a home that has a sump pit. In the pit there are two 4" tubes coming into it. I'm assuming these are directing water from around the foundation into the pit.

The pit does not have a sump pump.. the water just sits there. I believe it's going to evaporate, but it seems like installing a sump pump into the sump pit shouldn't be hard. My question is, do I need to or will the water really evaporate enough? Or am I mistaken and those two 4" tubes are somehow going to keep the pit from overflowing? When I looked a day ago there was some standing water in the pit (maybe 2-3 inches I think).

Thanks for your help,
    Dan
    Sounds like it is a settling basin for drain tile that ties into the house drain by gravity, it's there to catch silt before it gets into the house drain and causes a stoppage. They are common in older homes here, I don't know how common they are in your area.

Comment

It's a sump bin with french drains connected to it that run around the perimeter of the house under the slab.
      The fact that you see water in it is a good sign that you should get a pump for it.
      You might have someone take a look at it, there are a few variables to consider such as elevation comparative to the rest of the neighborhood & annual rainfall for the area when considering pump size & type.

Comment

If your house is on a hill you may have a gravity drain and not need a sump pump. My sump pit is plumbed so that it drains out to a low spot on the property. You could add water to the pit to get it to flow then look around the low spots for water and the exit point. If that is what you have make sure you have an animal screen on it so critters do not make it their home or worse come in to explore your basement.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses... that makes sense. Essentially if during a rainstorm water is coming in the 4" pipes, then I do not have a gravity drain and if during a rainstorm the water is flowing out of through the 4" pipes I do have a gravity drain.

Is that about right? The 4" pipes are probably about 6-7" from the bottom of the sump.

Thanks again for your help,
          Dan
          Last edited by dan123; 05-31-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

essentially correct, depends on the setup, one might flow in and one out. I would verify with the current owner in case the pump was removed for some reason, better to be safe

Comment

Potomac, Maryland huh?

I'm from Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

I've worked in many mansions up your way. The biggest one was 5 million bucks, around 15,000 square feet if I remember correctly. It was off River Road.
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

If the pump wasn't there 2 weeks ago when we had all that rain then you may not need a pump. I would still want one in there just in case.

I'm closer than Aaron Call me if you need a pump installed

Comment

Working...
                X