X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Please...

Seems the prior owners used HVAC copper 1/2 pipe for the water outlet to the toilet/ Water started leaking and the old valve failed, I thought no prob, got a 1/2 compression fitting valve and it does not fit/ What to do??? Are there HVAC-plumbing adaptors? Bulge out a 1/2 L Gauge pipe and sweat? Suggestions welcome... Thanks,

Re: Help! Please...

get a 1/2" mip x ? compression adapter. you need to get the correct size of the pipe coming out of the wall and just use an adapter, and the an IPS stop.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Get a 7/8 x 3/8 ss braided toilet supply riser.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Get a 7/8 x 3/8 ss braided toilet supply riser.

I think he needs an adapter to put on the "stub out" and then an angle stop, then he can put on a supply line
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

If it's his only bath, he might save time by calling a plumber.
          I can't tell if he's talking about the stub or the supply.
          He could be in store for a half dozen trips to HD before he finally figures it out.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            If it's his only bath, he might save time by calling a plumber.
            I can't tell if he's talking about the stub or the supply.
            He could be in store for a half dozen trips to HD before he finally figures it out.
            There is a good chance that is not done with the wrong kind of pipe, but instead has frozen and swelled. Especially if the toilet is located on an exterior wall. If that is the case you will have to cut back the pipe until you find something that a 1/2" coupling will slip over. What is the actual OD (outside diameter) of the pipe.
            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Nevermind about the freezing part, you are in TX. If you could tell us the ID and OD of the pipe it would be easier to determine what would be appropriate to solder, flare, compress onto the tubing.

Comment

Until I see some pictures or get some better info, it's all hearsey.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the input. Long day sat, as a temp fix I took an L gauge 1/2 copper pipe and used a torch and 2 bolts whose end I tapered to progressively expand the diameter of the 1/2 pipe to more or less fit snugly inside the HVAC copper, I then soldered the joint, its not leakng but NO WAY am I comfortable. I did call a plumber and he basically told me he did not have any fittings that would work. Kinda frustrating as I'm stting on a timebomb, so I guess I will have to try and find a plumber with some interest in "different" problemsolving that requires some creativity.

Comment

In a word, swedge.

Comment

if you are able to take a close up picture of it with a tape measure so we can help
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

You gotta post a picture of this.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Comment

real simple.. sounds like you have half inch soft temper tubing go to a GOOD! hardware store get 1/2" compression (not 5/8) x 1/2" mpt adapter then get a threaded 1/4 turn angle stop. then cut out the temparary swaged repair you made and install the comp adapter and angle stop / ideally cut the **** out below if you can and install ridgid type m

Comment

Or you could silflos the joint you have now, it would hold. Don't burn anything down and blame me though.
                              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                              X