Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing layout advice?

Originally posted by henboy View Post
    NHMaster:

I want to AVOID calling 3 plumbers to hire one. That is like theft on a small job like this one.

When I have a workable design in hand, I will call in one good (licensed) man, work out the wrinkles and money, and proceed.

HB

Looking at your sketch I figure the plumbing alone would cost about 25-30 grand. Any plumber that gives you a lower price is cutting corners somewhere. Don't take that chance, spend that much money and you'll get a good job done for sure. Find the best plumber you can. A sure way to find a good plumber is use the yellow pages and call the guy with the biggest ad. He has a big ad for a reason. If the ad mentions "1 hour service" or something to that effect, so much the better. Forgive my plumbing brothers, they just want the best for everyone but sometimes we don't know how to say it. Hope everything works out. Keep us updated.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Boys:

Well, so much for a helpful forum!! I hope you do not represent the majority.

I ask for some info, and get nailed because I do want to do the contracting process the way you have always done it.

And, why would you be so afraid of an informed customer? Don't bother to reply...That answer is very obvious.

Thanks for the experience. I will go my own way.

HB
      You got exactly what you paid for.

Comment

NHMaster:

I want to AVOID calling 3 plumbers to hire one. That is like theft on a small job like this one.

When I have a workable design in hand, I will call in one good (licensed) man, work out the wrinkles and money, and proceed.

HB

where is the theft? even if you are paying for the estimates you are gaining information for your project. If you don't care about having information, don't pay for it. Having 3 plumbers independently onsite? This only helps you.
        Brent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
          where is the theft? even if you are paying for the estimates you are gaining information for your project. If you don't care about having information, don't pay for it. Having 3 plumbers independently onsite? This only helps you.
          Shhhh, keep this between you n' me...I think that was his cover for having us double check his draft to do it himself.
          Sssshhh...

Comment

I think we should give him some credit. He did post in the "Ask the plumbing expert" forum.
            Brent

Comment

I think we should give him some credit. He did post in the "Ask the plumbing expert" forum.
              Leaky faucet, sure
              Toilet clogged, K
              dripping packing nut, yup
              full bath remodel, nope...not me

I guess I see something like a bath remodel or addition as a luxury, if you're looking for me to facilitate you to avoid hiring someone like me by having me show you how to do it...naahhh, not gonna do it.

Mindful that Oregon allows homeowners to DIY, it's illegal here..MA.

Comment

my comment was somewhat sarcastic. Since, there was the discussion about having a forum for plumbers and a forum for asking questions (DIY).
                Brent

Comment

my comment was somewhat sarcastic. Since, there was the discussion about having a forum for plumbers and a forum for asking questions (DIY).
                  It's ok, I'm just gonna call all yer customers and tell them how to do it on their own.

Comment

My customers could probably do the job on their own, but they want me.
                    Brent

Comment

Boys:

Well, so much for a helpful forum!! I hope you do not represent the majority.

I ask for some info, and get nailed because I do want to do the contracting process the way you have always done it.

And, why would you be so afraid of an informed customer? Don't bother to reply...That answer is very obvious.

Thanks for the experience. I will go my own way.

HB
                      So if your intention is to hire a licensed plumber, why would you take the time to do the drawing and then have it checked? Wouldn't you just hire a plumber and have him do the job? You're not fooling anyone here. What you wanted was for us to put a seal of approval on your plan because you aren't quite sure if you have the plan right. I can see your desire to save money but this is not the phase of construction to do it on. You can purchase and install the fixtures, that would save a buck or two. If you must proceed them perhaps you can get advice from your local plumbing inspector. (you we're going to get a permit, yes?) If you screw it up, i'm sure he will tell you where you went wrong.
                      I'm sorry you didn't get what you we're looking for here but you are asking the impossible.
                      sigpic

Comment

Henboy,if you're still out there:
                        Please forgive the foregoing responses,BUT also please realize that we (try) to make a living from our knowledge, experience and skills. What you are asking for is free advise that, based upon the information provided, will be worth what you pay for it.

You identify yourself as a consultant. What type of consulting do you do? Do you offer your opinions for free?

I do not believe any one is attempting to be rude, but you need to realize that much of a plumbing contractor's time is unpaid due to the necessity to bid jobs and answer people's questions simply in the process of winning the work. Asking us to intentionally layout a job, without the hope of "winning" it, is somewhat insulting. The insult is in the fact that only you stand to gain anything by such an arrangement. Most successful projects are win-win, where both the seller and the buyer benefit. Asking for free layouts,especially on the net is only a win situation for you.

In reality it isn't even a win for you since the sketch does not take the place of a site visit and codes differ considerably from state to state.

Save yourself some grief, spend some money and have the job done by a licensed plumbing contractor, not someone doing a side job or a handyman, make certain he obtains a permit and inspection. It will be money well invested.

By the way there is no charge for this consultation

APHCO

Comment

Why would you NOT get three estimates? Do you buy the first car you see on the lot? Bet not.

Comment

APHCO, thank you...thank you...thank you.

I find it particularly odd the way so many enter plumbing forums almost demanding answers, seems to have become the norm on the internet.

Somehow, some folks have gotten the impression that plumbers are just sitting at home anxiously waiting to cater to every need free of charge.

I remember when Napster got tagged for illegally allowing copyrighted material given away for free.
                            I was appauled when the rock band Metalliica sought legal action, I thought they were being rediculous.

After listening to the arguments, it occured to me that these musicians had lived together in a van at one point just to make it, they went hungry often.
                            They paid HARD for what they have.
                            So have we.
                            People were giving that hard earned livelyhood away at no charge.
                            There are aspiring musicians, artists and writers who would never have a chance if their material were unable to sell.

Computers with internet access have become almost as common a household appliance as the T.V. is.

It completely baffles me to observe a good, skilled plumber offer free advice to do dangerous tasks online.
                            Seems like maybe some need to impress fellow members with their knowledge, but I for one can't forget the blood sweat and tears it took to gain that knowledge.

Leaky faucets, bad flappers, clogged drains...no biggy, I'll help.
                            But I am not about to help anyone increase the value of their home or rental property, nor aid in encouraging dangerous work.

My scars, back troubles & bad knee's didn't come for free.

The advice henboy received here was perfect in the tradition of "ask the professional plumber" he got exactly the right advice.
                            No matter how you try to paint his request, he would have a plumber redoing his layout anyway.
                            Our advice was not to bother...let the plumber he claims he's hiring do that.

Comment

well said

Comment

Originally posted by nibcorules View Post
                                well said
                                You'd know first-hand..I'm sure you've seen the volume of bootlegged CAD copies on P2P networks.

Comment

Working...
                                X