X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing layout advice?

as long as those using bootleg cad software are using it correctly then i think it is good for the industry. the more cad use the better. job security and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by nibcorules View Post
      as long as those using bootleg cad software are using it correctly then i think it is good for the industry. the more cad use the better. job security and all that.
      As a Software engineer, I would disagree; but of course we have different. If the author of the software puts it under a license it should be obeyed. That means if they want to charge thousands of dollars for it, you should pay it or just not use the software. It is a tool like any other. I might like a Sawstop, but I'm using a TS3650 because it is what I can afford and a good saw for the price point. It doesn't mean I go out and steal a SawStop.

On the other hand, if someone wants to build a free (or cheap) CAD package, then I have no sympathy for the original distributor losing business [a good example here is the free Apache web server and PHP, which the RIDGID forum runs vs. Microsoft's expensive IIS and ASP].

In the interest of full disclosure, a very large portion of the software that I am paid to write my company has chosen to give away.

Relating this back to plumbing advice. I think it is perfectly fine for Duck and others not to want to give away advice, they spent lots of time and money to learn what they know. On the other hand, I don't think it is a problem if another plumber wants to give out free advice.

Comment

Folks:

I appreciate all your comments and advice.

Please note that I did ask if it was appropriate to post a layout before I asked for any "free advice".

I understand where you professionals are comming from. I don't give much away either!

Sorry I got the wrong impression about what is, and is not, proper to request on your forum.

Henboy

Comment

Working...
        X