Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing layout advice?

Hello:

Is it acceptable (on this forum) to post a drawing, and ask for plumbing layout advice?

I am doing a bath addition and need drain line and venting help.

Thanks,

Henboy

Re: Plumbing layout advice?

Yes it is.

go ahead

Comment

Originally posted by henboy View Post
      Hello:

Is it acceptable (on this forum) to post a drawing, and ask for plumbing layout advice?

I am doing a bath addition and need drain line and venting help.

Thanks,

Henboy
      sounds like a job for a licensed plumber.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        sounds like a job for a licensed plumber.
        It probably will be a licensed plumber job, but I would like to be an informed buyer.

I have a hard time calling for 3 quotes just to compare layout solutions.

Henboy

Comment

It probably will be a licensed plumber job, but I would like to be an informed buyer.

I have a hard time calling for 3 quotes just to compare layout solutions.

Henboy
          It's the plumbers job to determine layout in conjunction with a licensed builder/remodeler.
          For example, you might want the 3" drain to be concealed in the ceiling.
          Drilling the joists would cause the floor to sag, or collapse altogether if they're not big enough for the holes.
          A plumber knows these things...we think in three dimensuions, part of the job is knowing the most effective & efficient way to install piping while taking the least space & minimal demolition.

If your planning to do your own work, careful, it's not as simple as it looks.

Comment

Thanks for your viewpoint.

Attached is a sketch of the proposed layout. The lines have been routed to avoid most obstacle's.

Your comments on the design and sizing will be appreciated. I also need help locating clean-outs and venting.

Henboy
            Attached Files

Comment

I Would Hire A Plumber In Your Area To Give You A Drawing If You Have To Turn One In For A Permit , You Will Need To Add Some Walls To Your Drawing To Get Advice On How To Properly Plumb Your Addition, From What You Have In Your Drawing It Would Be Almost Impossible To Tell You How To Run The Waste And Vents.
              ________
              Honda Cbr1000Rr
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM.
              Mike

Comment

3 estimates is a good idea, but don't expect any of them to give you a sketch of the lay-out. One of the problems we deal with all too often is home owners that want "free advice" Which would be ok, but we're pretty busy most times. I did take a look at your sketch and it looks ok except that you are going to need to vent everything. And the vents need to be within the distance from trap to vent, listed in your code.
                sigpic

Comment

I get paid to render design drawings, as well as as built drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    3 estimates is a good idea, but don't expect any of them to give you a sketch of the lay-out. One of the problems we deal with all too often is home owners that want "free advice" Which would be ok, but we're pretty busy most times. I did take a look at your sketch and it looks ok except that you are going to need to vent everything. And the vents need to be within the distance from trap to vent, listed in your code.
                    NHMaster:

I want to AVOID calling 3 plumbers to hire one. That is like theft on a small job like this one.

When I have a workable design in hand, I will call in one good (licensed) man, work out the wrinkles and money, and proceed.

HB

Comment

We're very impressed with the kind intent, but it's par for the course.
                      Use the rudimentary layout you have to display what you want, then let each plumber come up with his own plan & design for the estimate.
                      Calling one plumber is silly, and thats not a small job per say.

Comment

Sorry, but You'd be the customer from Hell. I hope You hack this Yourself. A decent tradesman doesn't deserve You. Pissed off? So be it!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hey Ducky, I think I tagged this one. Then again been there done that. Time after time after time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Boys:

Well, so much for a helpful forum!! I hope you do not represent the majority.

I ask for some info, and get nailed because I do want to do the contracting process the way you have always done it.

And, why would you be so afraid of an informed customer? Don't bother to reply...That answer is very obvious.

Thanks for the experience. I will go my own way.

HB

Comment

Boys:

Well, so much for a helpful forum!! I hope you do not represent the majority.

I ask for some info, and get nailed because I do want to do the contracting process the way you have always done it.

And, why would you be so afraid of an informed customer? Don't bother to reply...That answer is very obvious.

Thanks for the experience. I will go my own way.

HB
                              I'm happy to return your money, I stand by my money back guarantee.

Comment

Working...
                              X