X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!

I am not a "pro" so excuse my explanations.

I have a main sewer system that has a double clean-out at ground level. One goes to the mains, the other to the house. The "plastic" pipe is 3", I believe.

Anyway, I have had my system blocked on several occasions. I bought a Ridgid K-400, which seems to fit most of my needs. However, this last time my line backed-up, I can't seem to clear it. Over the last few weeks I have had to re-run the clean-out once a week. I assume my major problem is roots. Although I think the pipe may have settled some at a joint, and this may be adding to the problem.

In the past I have run the drain, and followed up with a root killer. This seems to fix the problem for about 3 to 6 months, then it happens again. This time I can't get it to clear. The snake goes a certain distance (approx. 35-40 feet) then can't move any further. If I go fwd, then rev, several times it seems to find the "space" moves forward then the drain "swooshes". Now it seems when I get to that stopping point, it acts as if it is digging into the ground, instead of following the pipe. I feel this because when I pull on the snake to retrieve it, it's like pulling an anchor out of the water, then frees up, at about 35'.

I think if I can get it cleared, the root killer will do it's job and hold off the back-up for a while. Am I completely off? I can't afford a pro to do the job right now, and I can't allow sewage to over flow into my yard. Will the root kill do the job, if the water is standing, or does it have to be flowing to get to the root area?

Please be understanding of my ignorance, as I said I'm not a pro at all. Just a strapped home owner.

I need an answer ASAP... Don't we all?

Re: Help!!!!

back when i was in Tempe, seemed oleanders were a consistent problem, lots of orangeburge pipe too. You didn't mention pulling back anything, assuming your using one type of head. do you know if your building sewer is orangebure?

Comment

Generally the lateral is 4" You should get a camera in, pronto. Only give the job to someone that will LEAVE a tape or cd. Also on the tape will be the Tech. saying We're approx 32 ft. in and have roots ect. On this trip have them cut the roots . Your machine is really to cmal for a lateral. Much more experianced help is on the way!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanx for the input! I will have to keep at it though. Like I said, I can't afford a pro, especially with a camera set-up. Although that is obviously the best way to get a the answer to fix the problem.

As for oleanders! I have many along my property line. I have tried to kill them off, and have had some success with all but one. Guess under which one the line goes? As for the type of pipe used. All I know is it is black, and relatively thick.

Sometimes getting to the "root of the problem" is all it takes... I know bad pun. I may have to fore go groceries for a week to get the "full picture" of the problem... again bad pun. I'm just trying to remain positive.

Also can you tell me if the "Root Kill" product has to have a clear drain to work, or will it work with standing water?

Comment

Originally posted by A.M.Bush View Post
          Also can you tell me if the "Root Kill" product has to have a clear drain to work, or will it work with standing water?
          Must have some kind of flow but it doesn't work instantly.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

orangeburge is thick,its basically tar paper. has a tendency to oval and crush. Danger,danger you could put a hole in it easily with your 400
            Last edited by stokefire7; 06-03-2008, 11:25 PM.

Comment

you really need to have a larger cable and cutter than a 3/8'' or 1/2'' on the 400 machine.

either rent a 3/4'' machine or have someone come and do it for you.

all you're doing is toying with the roots. a bigger cable and cutter will cut the roots and either wash them down or pull them back.

root killer will kill the roots, but not clear the line any time soon. sure they will be dead, but the decomposing will take lots of time.

good luck and let us know the outcome.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

After reading "after going back and fourth at the 35' mark, it finally begins to move back forward and makes a swooshing sound" I was reminded of a recent job where I encountered a very similar situation. After several attempts to snake the drain, I finally gave up and snapped the cast out at the obstruction. I was lucky. . . the drain was in a very accessable area.

What I found was the cast iron had broken inside the hub of a connection. The soft lead used to pack the connection had fallen partially into the pipe, and my snake was getting hung up on it. Once the snake had found enough room to get past the obstruction, the now tightly wound snake cable let loose making the 'swooshing' sound.

The camera in the drain is the only right way to go here. I think you may have collasped pipe and the 'digging into dirt' feeling may just be that. . .dirt. If the snake has found it's way through the hole of the collaspe, you'd be snaking dirt and may eventually expect to see the cutting head spinning about in your front yard :P

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                  orangeburge is thick,its basically tar paper. has a tendency to oval and crush. Danger,danger you could put a hole in it easily with your 400
                  Are we talking BFP?
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Get it over with for the long term. Replace the line.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                    X