Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: to use or not to use sharkbite

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
    Already been done in Europe for the last twenty or so years.
    Point worth mention, no water treatment there.

Comment

I'll get my 2 cent's worth in here also. I'm not a fan of sharkbite or similar fittings for any concealed plumbing. They are indeed handy for a quick fix that you are later going to go back on but for a perminant plumbing solution I never would. As for the pro press ( and I'm sure Rick will blast me here) The tools are heavy, unweildley, god awfull expensive and difficult to use in tight spaces, even with the swivel head. And the fittings are no bargain either. Not to mention how difficult it is to keep long lengths straight. I don't see how the convieniance of being able to work with a bit of water in the pipe outweighs the cost.
      sigpic

Comment

i've used a handfull of sharkbite for the last 3 years.

so far so good. non were installed in areas that could do damage.

look at any water filter system. older ones were compression, newer oner are john guess/ sharkbite style.

propress has been in the usa since 1999.

in europe for 20+ years.

according to our belgium host from ridge tool. 95% of copper installations in belgium are propress.

just a matter of time when propress will take over here.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          As for the pro press .... And the fittings are no bargain either.
          Actually for the most part there cheaper, at least for us. We just quoted out a $250,000 project that has a combination of 2", 3" and 4" piping. The main concern on this project was using torches in the building. Placing the smoke alarm system in test mode for hours on end was a serious concern, and gloving the individual alarm sensors was going to be an issue with the Safety supervisor. Se we ran a comparison on standard copper fittings and Viega's fittings, literally piece by piece for the entire run of copper that we were going to have to install and the Viega came in substantially cheaper with our discounts. Viega provides a published price list that's good to the Distributors for a year, were as standard copper fittings are priced based on the daily copper futures. As it was explained to me they can do this because the fittings were made at least six months to a year ago, so there based on old commodity indexes.

Not to mention how difficult it is to keep long lengths straight.
          You lost me on that statement. If you anchor your pipe according to code why would it matter?

Trust me ProPress is the way to go.

I use this example. Along with my industrial water and plumbing education, I also minored in Computer Sciences. I was making my own computers back in the early 80's and was one of the first people to sign up with Compuserve, which was the first pay for use internet based BBS, (Bulletin Board Service). Dial up modem’s baby, a whomping 9,600k baud rate.

When the military dropped their line data transmission restrictions, I was the first guy on the block to install a screaming 56k modem. Years later our local cable company introduced internet based Cable. Our area was the first test market in the U.S. I looked at the monthly price, $99.00 and said "NO THANKS". Even when the price dropped to around $43.00 a month I still could not make the leap. Then one day I was talking to one of my buddies in a hot rod club I belong to. His profession Day Trading. We got to talking about computers because he had a background in the them and then cable modems, etc... Next thing you know I am over at his house and sat in front of his computer a played with his internet connection. I was sold. Within a week I had cable, and have never looked back.

Couple weeks ago we were in San Diego at one of our Hotel customers, doing a substantial system repair. It’s been about a year since the last time I was there, and the first thing I noticed was Propress fittings all over the mechanical room. I asked the engineer who I have know for many years if they had bought there own Propress. He said no, that the local plumber they use in emergencies uses it. I asked him what he thought. He says, he loves it. I asked him how the guy was pricing repairs. He says its more money but he has no problem paying it. The reduced down time is the key. Less interruption to the guests of the hotel offsets any price increase he has to pay.

The Ridgid reps out here are pretty good about demoing product on sight. If I were you I would contact your local rep, have them meet you at a job, and have them bring a variety of fittings to meet your job needs, and then try it. You might change your mind.

Comment

I have a propress and I stand by my statements. The fittings for 1/2 up to 1 1/2 are 2 to 3 times more expensive. I personally find the tool unwieldly to handle, its heavy and cumbersome. Yes it takes less time than soldering, especially large fittings but at 16 hundred bucks for the tool I can take a little more time. I really don't see it taking over from soldering, at least not around here. I am probably the only plumber in a 20 mile radius that owns one, and I wish I'd never bought it in the first place for all the use it gets. We have 9 plumbers on the payroll and I doubt the tool comes off the shelf one a month.
            sigpic

Comment

I've seen similar connections to Sharkbite in RO systems. Yes, push on them sideways and they leak. I don't think they'll last forever. But they'll probably outlast many of the other things we take for granted every day.

I'm not advocating their use in place of more proven systems, but I have no problem with using Sharkbites occasionally when it solves a problem better than something else, such as a line in a crawl space that won't stop leaking long enough to solder or a shower riser in a tight spot that would be dangerous to solder.

Comment

I used one last week due to location and a fire risk since they filled the wall cavitys with newspapers.

I wish I would have never done it. I have been thinking about that fitting leaking since I installed it.

I have only installed two sharkbites to date. Yes I carry them on the truck but I also hide them so nobody can see them.

Since I deal with wells often, sharkbites will leak until they have enough pressure. Once a customer sees the fitting leak, they will never trust it.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I have a propress and I stand by my statements. The fittings for 1/2 up to 1 1/2 are 2 to 3 times more expensive. I personally find the tool unwieldly to handle, its heavy and cumbersome. Yes it takes less time than soldering, especially large fittings but at 16 hundred bucks for the tool I can take a little more time. I really don't see it taking over from soldering, at least not around here. I am probably the only plumber in a 20 mile radius that owns one, and I wish I'd never bought it in the first place for all the use it gets. We have 9 plumbers on the payroll and I doubt the tool comes off the shelf one a month.
                  I watched the sales guy from Granite pummel my boss with all the wonderful and great benefits of propress as my boss just yessed him to death, then asked him to leave.
                  I'll admit, if it were less expensive than the 2200 Granite quoted me, I mighta tried it by now...I mean say, $2K less expensive.

I do my share of KS RO systems too...I get periodic calls from homeowners who've gouged the 1/4" & 3/8" OD's or leave the connections crammed in a way that they leak and have no clue why they're leaking.
                  Thank you HD plumbing guy, for the easy work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                    I used one last week due to location and a fire risk since they filled the wall cavitys with newspapers.

I wish I would have never done it. I have been thinking about that fitting leaking since I installed it.

I have only installed two sharkbites to date. Yes I carry them on the truck but I also hide them so nobody can see them.

Since I deal with wells often, sharkbites will leak until they have enough pressure. Once a customer sees the fitting leak, they will never trust it.

I have less than 20......still not convinced of anything with an O-ring is durable.

A solder joint in proper application is indefinite on all counts.

Improper workmanship of a solder joint the same as an improperly crimped or sharkbite connection.

Anyone that can push a male pipe into a female socket can now do our job.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      I have less than 20......still not convinced of anything with an O-ring is durable.

A solder joint in proper application is indefinite on all counts.

Improper workmanship of a solder joint the same as an improperly crimped or sharkbite connection.

Anyone that can push a male pipe into a female socket can now do our job.
                      You know me well enough to know I agree to an extent.
                      BUT, I betcha they said "Anyone that can glue two pieces of plastic together can now do our job" when PVC first got accepted into codes.
                      I guess I'm trying to beat away the depressing notion that this crap is degrading the trade.
                      I still don't use Sharkbite, aside from trying it briefly awhile back where I wasn't concerned with where it would leak.

Comment

Here's the big problem I have with shark bites. If you were to use one for a coupling, to join two lengths of 1/2" copper and it was in the baasement, where someone could either hang stuff on it or hang on it (damned kids) The fitting si going to get out of line and leak. A properly swett joint will bend the pipe but most likely not leak.
                        sigpic

Comment

This thread brought up an interesting thought.
                          I betcha in the next 5+ years there's a massive surge in the service sector.

Comment

I have used the sharkbite fittings but only in accessable areas that if they do cause a ploblem in the future I know I can get at it. They work great for kitchen and bath remodels for capping off lines that you are going to put new stops on later after drywalling or cabinets or set in place as you can reuse them later. But if you can join pipes together by either sweating , crimping , or glueing depending on the type of material of the pipes you are joining the old way is still better. They save you some time but if it takes a little longer to do a proper job its worth it in the long run.

Comment

I would NEVER, EVER, EVER use a sharkbite fitting. There are much better and more reliable ways of doing things. If the customer wanted a sharkbite fitting, they could have easily done it themselves. The people that use sharkbite fittings are the same ones that are using copper bond, fittings with the solder already in them, etc. But what do I know?
                              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Stub outs and test rigs that is it! As far as stubouts I would never do it with regular caps ever again simply because it is more cost effective and faster when it is time to put the stop on.

Comment

Working...
                                X